• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Mugwort Became Unsafe Only Post About It I Find

Shawn4444

Greenlighter
So, I have tried other dream herbs in the past that effect your body and found Mugwort gave me the best sleep, vivid dreams, and was safest to my current health not to affect blood sugar, etc. And I have now used it for months with great success and believed it to be 100% safe in moderation. But, the last time I used it I had a terrible experience. I want to share this because I have not found one single thing on the internet ever stating any negative effects and you should know about it.

I ingested it from a tincture in the amount 1/3 droper full 4 hours before sleep. I then used another 1/3 dropper full before bed. This is not unusual and not in any excess of the recommended dosage. I went to sleep at 8pm and woke up at 12am. I dreamt a bit and was in a hazy dreamy state when I awoke. I decided to take another small dose of 1/4 dropper to continue my sleep and boy was that a mistake!!

I had a full on panic attack. It came on in rolling waves, and I felt like I was on the edge of life each time a wave rolled up. I didn't know if I was going to fall when I stood up but made it to the restroom to relieve myself and then I drank fluids to dilute the poisoning. I took my blood pressure about 4 or five times and my blood pressure had shot up to almost 150/100 common to panic attacks so Ive read. I vaped a bit to relax and the panic attack kicked in again immediately!

I do have high blood pressure, but it is under control with proper medication. This wasn't an unusually high dosage of Mugwort I took I will repeat my words. I thought it was completely safe I will repeat again, never reading anything bad about the substance anywhere. Let me say that when you have a panic attack, you are afraid to sleep, to go unconscious, or feel like you might even die at a moment. It was really terrible and frightening but I have had a similar experience once or twice before during other circumstances. Luckily, I had a low dose of Xanax and took it with a blood pressure tablet and after about 30 minutes it subsided before I fell back asleep.

TAKE THIS AS A WARNING

This is the first post that Mugwort can have a negative effect on your body. I disposed of the remainder that I had and will take a very very light dose if I plan to try it again. Like I said, its always been a good thing and Ive used it so many times before.

Post statement, I had 1 glass of wine before first falling asleep and had eaten a good meal.

Last edited:
I will reply on that even being an almost 4 year old thread cause I conisider it to be important.

I'm a user of mugwort, also for dreaming,
the thing is that I use artemisia annua (chinese mugwort), instead of artemisia vulgaris (mugwort).

I know that most mugwort species, specially artemisia absinthium (ajenjo, in my language) have small quantities of THUJONE.
Thujone it's NOT toxic in little doses, but it is in high doses and the worst problem is that it accumulates on the body overtime, if you don't do a break (I guess because of a long half life? didn't dig as deep).

So you know, if you use any type of plant in the Artemisia genus, you must know this,
seems that one could have a panic attack from thujone, as it is a gaba ANTAGONIST, that can cause convulsions.

I will reply on that even being an almost 4 year old thread cause I conisider it to be important.

I'm a user of mugwort, also for dreaming,
the thing is that I use artemisia annua (chinese mugwort), instead of artemisia vulgaris (mugwort).

I know that most mugwort species, specially artemisia absinthium (ajenjo, in my language) have small quantities of THUJONE.
Thujone it's NOT toxic in little doses, but it is in high doses and the worst problem is that it accumulates on the body overtime, if you don't do a break (I guess because of a long half life? didn't dig as deep).

So you know, if you use any type of plant in the Artemisia genus, you must know this,
seems that one could have a panic attack from thujone, as it is a gaba ANTAGONIST, that can cause convulsions.

Absolutely excellent post man. As I was reading it my mind instantly went to Thujone accumulation.

-GC