• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

ms contin 5mg slow release

BILLY-BLUNT

Bluelighter
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice, I have been taking 50mg caps of tramadol 5 times a day and my Dr has just switched me to ms contin 5mg slow release, so far these have been next to useless at controling my chronic pancreatitis pain, I have read several threads and over the last week I have tried several times with crushing the tablets, dissolving in 10ml warm water and taking it intra-analy with a 10ml syringe. So far today I tried 35mg and 90 mins later after no effect I tried 40 mg and still over an hour later I am experiencing no feelings of relief whatsoever. The pain is still prominent. Is it possible that I am somehow immune to morphine?
Any advice is welcome .

Many thanks
Billy

MS Contin is nearly impossible to break into imidiate release morphine. I for one could not do it. Besides that, morphine has low oral bioavailability. 40mg of MS Contin is like taking ~15mg instant release morphine every 4 hours. You should get some relief but for me it took a while for MS Contin to kick in. Having said that, 5mg of slow release morphine is negligible amount, even if you are dealing with only light pain. I have never heard that anyone was prescribed such a low dose, except if your doctor is trying to see how your body will respond to morphine and than titrate you up to a level that suits you. Do not keep taking pill after pill because it could all add up and you could end up sick. Morphine can do that. Talk with your doctor about the dosage because I do not know any individual who could get any relief from 5mg slow release morphine.

Good luck!

MS Contin is nearly impossible to break into imidiate release morphine. I for one could not do it. Besides that, morphine has low oral bioavailability. 40mg of MS Contin is like taking ~15mg instant release morphine every 4 hours. You should get some relief but for me it took a while for MS Contin to kick in. Having said that, 5mg of slow release morphine is negligible amount, even if you are dealing with only light pain. I have never heard that anyone was prescribed such a low dose, except if your doctor is trying to see how your body will respond to morphine and than titrate you up to a level that suits you. Do not keep taking pill after pill because it could all add up and you could end up sick. Morphine can do that. Talk with your doctor about the dosage because I do not know any individual who could get any relief from 5mg slow release morphine.

Good luck!
Many thanks Psycho-logic, I have spoken to my Dr just now and she has increased the dose to 10mg twice a day. I had hoped that "plugging" the dose would help with the bioavailability so I have tried some more but maybe ms contin just doesn't work for me but I have been on 250mg tramadol for over 2 years and although that worked it apparently does lower my seizure threshold (I am epileptic) which is why we are trying to swap out the tramadol for morphine. I just hope I can find a way to make the morphine stop the pancreatic pain without affecting my seizure threshold. I have read more applicable threads and the solution becomes milky, slightly viscose but doesn't cause any issues with the syringe or gel up. I will continue to experiment and ask here for advice as I go. I also take 600mg of pregabalin daily and have ordered some Phenibut to try to reduce the pregabalin as I have read that the withdrawal is hellish.

Again thanks for your help

Billy

STOP plugging the Morphine; it doesn't dramatically raise BA% in most people and if you are constipated or do it wrong, Complete waste

Morphine becomes more potent with Chronic administration and also the absorption is dose dependent (it reaches 50% with high doses)

Crush up the tablets and take 40-60 mg by mouth; this WILL help

Just stop plugging it if it isn't working

And I didn't even know they made 5mg MSContin, or 10mg...

Tell your Dr you need at least 30mg a day; Oh and someone like you may prefer Oxycodone

STOP plugging the Morphine; it doesn't dramatically raise BA% in most people and if you are constipated or do it wrong, Complete waste

Morphine becomes more potent with Chronic administration and also the absorption is dose dependent (it reaches 50% with high doses)

Crush up the tablets and take 40-60 mg by mouth; this WILL help

Just stop plugging it if it isn't working

And I didn't even know they made 5mg MSContin, or 10mg...

Tell your Dr you need at least 30mg a day; Oh and someone like you may prefer Oxycodone

Hi Lorne,
Thank you for that advice I will stop.with that roa, I read numerous times that plugging basically doubles the bioavailability as it jumps ahead of the liver first pass but clearly it is not working for me.
I will try your suggestion as my pancreas is begining to spike, it starts to feel very heavy like I have a large rock under my ribcage and then I am in for days of it causing debilitating pain as though a knitting needle is trying to push it's way out of my body. I am trying not to touch the tramadol but it is there if I need it though I am wary of mixing the 2.
I am going to give it 3 of 4 hours and then try the oral route you suggest and report back.

Many thanks
Billy

Take a Tramadol with it; it is safe if you are used to Tramadol, and shall increase Analgesic action

100mg Tramadol and 50 mg Morphine should be quite effective in pain. And you have to read every study - Rectal Morphine is 1.5-2x stronger in many light users,! Yet in some users it is weaker. There really is a lot of confusion surrounding the subject m
One of our Moderators had a very effective method of applying a gel to his rectum before showering when he couldn't get needles. However, this will not work for everyone

Try to take as needed since you are prescribed a small dose, and grind the pills into a fine powder before swallowing, to increase Cmax and speed up Tmax

Hope it works out for you Hit me / us up with any problems

Hi everyone,

Take a Tramadol with it; it is safe if you are used to Tramadol, and shall increase Analgesic action

100mg Tramadol and 50 mg Morphine should be quite effective in pain. And you have to read every study - Rectal Morphine is 1.5-2x stronger in many light users,! Yet in some users it is weaker. There really is a lot of confusion surrounding the subject m
One of our Moderators had a very effective method of applying a gel to his rectum before showering when he couldn't get needles. However, this will not work for everyone

Try to take as needed since you are prescribed a small dose, and grind the pills into a fine powder before swallowing, to increase Cmax and speed up Tmax

Hope it works out for you Hit me / us up with any problems

Hi everyone,

Ok so yesterday I crushed and swallowed 60mg and spent the whole day dozing/sleeping completely pain free which was lovely though I had to put off work for the day (I oversee and work quality assurance for care homes supporting people with profound and multiple learning disabilities) . So I feel I may reduce the dose and see how that goes, many thanks for your advice in trying this safely.
Ok so today I took my usual dose of 1200mg pregabalin which I use once every 2 or 3 days and have been for about 18months, over the last 3 or 4 months this has not been having the desired effect or at least diminished effect. This morning a bag of Phenibut capsules arrived in the post so I popped a couple of them (2 X 400mg) as I am hoping to slowly swap out some pregabalin for Phenibut to try to avoid the terrible withdrawal symptoms I have read about online for pg's, I will report back how it goes

Many thanks

Billiy

Your doctor should of switched u to Dihydrocodeine and not Morphine! I reckon you'll get better relief from Dihydrocodeine as its twice the potency of Tramadol and its got a good BA. Tbh with u I'd rather have Dihydrocodeine over Morphine just because of the BA difference and DHC (Dihydrocodeine) is a reasonably strong opioid as it's twice the potency of Codeine and Tramadol. If you take enough of it u get a bloody good high as well similar to Hydrocodone but don't do that lol. It's my second best opioid after Oxycodone.

^ Ac, IV dhc is double the potency of oral...

I would take Tramadol, or small 0-15mg doses of Morphine for breakthrough pain, and Parker dose once per day, and show your doctor it takes 30-45mg oral Morphine to = 15-30mg Oxycodone with Chronic administration

(Mean 20mg
Oxycodone

Your doctor should of switched u to Dihydrocodeine and not Morphine! I reckon you'll get better relief from Dihydrocodeine as its twice the potency of Tramadol and its got a good BA. Tbh with u I'd rather have Dihydrocodeine over Morphine just because of the BA difference and DHC (Dihydrocodeine) is a reasonably strong opioid as it's twice the potency of Codeine and Tramadol. If you take enough of it u get a bloody good high as well similar to Hydrocodone but don't do that lol. It's my second best opioid after Oxycodone.

Hi Evo,

Ok so the problem with that is that I do not metabolise codiene or dihydrocodeine, in the past I have tried codiene many times for pain relief and I may as well pop smarties, the same with dihydrocodeine, I have had it recently for an infected wisdom tooth which I couldn't get fixed because of Covid, it has no effect on me at all, in fact I wish I had saved all the DHC and given them to someone who could at least achieve some analgesia when they need it. In the UK I don't think they prescribe those other opioids which sit in between DHC and morphine, so (and don't quote me) percoset, vicoden, the oxy drugs etc.. as I'm not sure they are licensed, so after 2 years of battle I gave in and allowed them to put me on morphine. The only opioid "high" I have ever experienced was from taking one too many tramadol when the pain was bad and it kinda felt like a long lasting mdma trip, enjoyable as it was it lowers my seizure threshold so I have resisted munching them this way as often as possible as it also leaves me short and then I have no pain relief for a few days. Pregabalin however has been a wonder drug, raising my seizure threshold, treating the chronic pain in my pancreas and lifting my mood but I am at the max dose of 300mg BDS (600mg daily) which I actually take as 1200mg every other day in order to take advantage of the mood enhancing properties. When on occasion I give a couple of 300mg caps to friends they report back that it is one of their favourite highs. Unfortunately for me I was titrated up to the max dosage and only experience the mood lifting effect every other day although that after about a year is also failing due to tolerance. I am trying to take longer breaks in between dosing pregabs without allowing the pancreatic pain to break through.
Today I tried Phenibut for the first time, 7 hours ago I took 800mg then after 40mins another 400mg but I don't feel much benefit, I did already take 1200mg pregabs today before the postie arrived so I will try the Phenibut again tomorrow without the pregabs and tonight just smoke a couple of bongs of hash.
I have tried to get some benefit from zopiclone but that doesn't seem to work too well on me either as a sleep aid or to lift my mood. I have discussed this with my Dr and we will be trying some antihistamines soon to see if they are any better.
Advice always welcome.

Peace and love to all
Billy

Dhc isn't a prodrug; it can be injected. If you got no relief you either are a hyper netabolizer or the dose wasn't high enough

And some people get 900mg pregabalin per day,? Maybe more

Hi,

Yes I believe you can get a higher prescription for pregabs but not if it is for pain relief, I think 900mg is the dosage for anxiety, I have also been on gabapentin but pregabalin is much better.

As for DHC I eventually took 15x30mg in 24 hours but it just gave me nausea and my tooth still kicked me about. I also have gout which is painful as all hell, I was misdiagnosed as tendonitis for many years so I was prescribed lots of naproxen, when I had really bad pancreatic pain that had been diagnosed as a stomach ulcer for which I was being treated with Omeprazole, I had a private endoscopy which revealed no ulcer but lots of damage to my stomach lining from the nsaids, I am therefore currently not allowed to take nsaids, the possibilities for pain relief are quite narrow. The gout was excruciating but the medication I have for that issue is amazing and shuts the pain down in less than a day.
The medical profession is so trial and error based I have little faith in doctors but they do seem to accept my suggestions and explanations for what I need to try to control my medical issues so it's a double edged sword regarding relevant medication prescribed.

Many thanks
Billy

The Wikipedia page has a citation I was too lazy to link stating that dihydromorphine is produced in such a small amount it is clinically insignificant

Maybe you just do not react well to that class of opioids

You are far better off with Morphine anyway, just if it is already taking relatively large doses, try to use it PRN

Hope your pain gets under control

And phenibut is NO substitute for Lyrica

Just be careful - Someone know OD'ed on 4-Fluorophenibut, although that is much more potent

You ever find a Morphine dose you can function on?

Hi @Lorne???
I have experimented quite a bit over the last few days, gradually increasing the dosage of morphine and Phenibut each time, this morning I took no Phenibut but have munched 100mg of mscontinus 10mg tablets, about 5 hours ago, so I estimate 30-35mg active morphine , I have dozed on and off a bit through the last 3 hours , had a little nausea, no euphoria, no reportable drop in heart rate but no serious pain. Tomorrow will be no morphine or Phenibut but 1200-1600mg pregabalin following a 72 hour break from pregab. Ultimately if I could find a regime that allowed me to rotate several types of analgesia enjoying some euphoric benefits with pain relief and limiting tolerance, that ,to me, may provide some long lasting hope at being pain free and enjoying it at the same time. Yesterday at about 5am I took 1200mg of Phenibut in 1 dose followed by 800mg in a 2nd dose an hour later and didn't note any change in mood until about 14 hours later when I felt butterflies in my stomach and a reportable lift in my mood.
Having begun to feel like Phenibut had no therapeutic value until this point I have now started to re-evaluate it.