Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Mr. Robot

The casting of Malek as Elliot is fucking brilliant. There's no one else that could have pulled off that character better than him. I had just watched him in Short Term 12 right before this and I have to say, wow...why the hell did he not play the lead male in that movie? He's clearly more talented.

i have such a rage boner for this show. the hacking parts are pretty stupid (as in unrealistic, despite the Arts-degree-wielding techie-journalist claims to the contrary) and there is too much divergence between Eliott hacking his neighbour's e-mail / social media accounts (wetware hacking) and the STUXNET-type shit he's dragged into. it's basically akin to the notion of a plumber being a crack electrician who is recruited to design an electrical grid.

what drives me nuts about Mr. Robot is how hard it pretends to be about hacking but it has absolutely fuck-all to do with hackers. Intead of revelling in hacker culture, it marginalizes the culture and instead uses hacking as a shitty plot device to enable an even shittier made-for-network-TV action plot replete with a cast of offensively cliche characters. The cherry on top is the remarkably PC, neoliberal moral code of the main character (pandering) which in all likelihood makes him all the more loathesome to anyone who might actually resemble a real-life Eliott.

what drives me nuts about mr. Robot is how hard it pretends to be about hacking but it has absolutely fuck-all to do with hackers. Intead of revelling in hacker culture, it marginalizes the culture and instead uses hacking as a shitty plot device to enable an even shittier made-for-network-tv action plot replete with a cast of offensively cliche characters.

qft.

I think Christian Slayer is amazing in the show...

His character in the show reminds me if his character in pump up the volume

volume5.jpg

i have such a rage boner for this show. the hacking parts are pretty stupid (as in unrealistic, despite the Arts-degree-wielding techie-journalist claims to the contrary) and there is too much divergence between Eliott hacking his neighbour's e-mail / social media accounts (wetware hacking) and the STUXNET-type shit he's dragged into. it's basically akin to the notion of a plumber being a crack electrician who is recruited to design an electrical grid.

what drives me nuts about Mr. Robot is how hard it pretends to be about hacking but it has absolutely fuck-all to do with hackers. Intead of revelling in hacker culture, it marginalizes the culture and instead uses hacking as a shitty plot device to enable an even shittier made-for-network-TV action plot replete with a cast of offensively cliche characters. The cherry on top is the remarkably PC, neoliberal moral code of the main character (pandering) which in all likelihood makes him all the more loathesome to anyone who might actually resemble a real-life Eliott.

what? the show isn't about hackers, it's about people who are mentally ill and socially isolated as a result of it. eliott is like my evil twin - the bit where he crawls into a corner and sobs from loneliness, i do that about once a month. and when he pulled out the morphine - wow. i use dxm, much safer, but still. mandated therapy where he just sits and lies to the therapist. the whole mad scientist out to save the world via anarchy bit, too. so yeah, tantric, stone cold real life Eliott.

all of the linux bits are spot on, though i'd expect them to mention kali. it's exaggerated for effect, but with a sound basis. eliot learned the 'wetware' shit as a kid, he has mad skills as an adult, is how i see it, and its not discongruous. the social hacking isn't about his skillz, it's about his crazy. it's about how he has psuedorelationships with people. frankly, when i was fucking around with kali, i just couldn't imagine a reason i'd want to look at other people's shit - gross, i hate people. especially people on facebook. how is it cliche? dead on accurate for the crazy shit. do you want a twink hacker instead? what is the PC moral code you object to? destabilizing western civilization isn't PC. PC is 'people of color' and 'cultural appropriation' and that shit. are you objecting to his unwillingness to kill for the revolution? i've had enough of the paris commune crap, it never works.

i haven't seen any eps since my last post so i don't really know what's going on now but i meant "PC" as in made-for-network-tv where they're basically aiming to do whatever it takes to capture the largest slice of the market possible, so it's sanitized and homogenized in small ways for universal acceptance. Great for ratings but always seems to fall short when it comes to providing meaningful, thought-provoking characters.

i haven't seen any eps since my last post so i don't really know what's going on now but i meant "PC" as in made-for-network-tv where they're basically aiming to do whatever it takes to capture the largest slice of the market possible, so it's sanitized and homogenized in small ways for universal acceptance. Great for ratings but always seems to fall short when it comes to providing meaningful, thought-provoking characters.

i'm not being snarky, but is there any chance you're hating it on principle?

i don't hate it, i was just upset because world+dog made such a big deal about "realistic portrayal", and I gave it a shot in earnest, and felt like they did everything wrong.