European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Moving to the UK

ComfortablyNumb95

Bluelight Crew
Hey everyone, so I was thinking about moving to the UK to live and work there for about 1 year.
I was looking at the prices and holy shit they're high. Like the average cost of a rent for a small apartment outside of the city centre is like 600 pounds at the very least. And that's JUST the rent. Is it realistic for me to live there for 1 year by myself with a job like waiter or some not-super-high-salary job like that?

Probably not no, if youre prepared to house share though itd be a lot easier and free up money to enjoy yourself.

Probably not no
So you mean yes? lol :D
I agree sharing the house with someone would be ideal. My IRL friend @Simple Hatred would come with me but he said he has to wait a few months at least and it's not certain anyways.
I'll look into it tho, but I'd much prefer living by myself or atleast not with a stranger.
Thanks for your contribution.

Which city are you talking about?

If you're thinking of London, then you'd definitely need some savings in the bank unless you're prepared to live a hand-to-mouth existence.

Why the UK, anyway?

Last edited:
600 quid rent for a flat? Haha. Whereabouts is that? It sure ain't London

I pay about that for a room in SW London. It makes me cry every payday.

Which city are you talking about?

If you're thinking of London, then you'd definitely need some savings in the bank unless you're prepared to live a had-to-mouth existence.

Why the UK, anyway?

I don't know, I'm trying to find a city that isn't too expensive and that is also not a shithole.
I was thinking London initially but after seeing the prices I'm pretty sure I would never be able to afford it lol.
And the UK because I want to move to an english speaking country and the UK is the closest to me. I'm tired of living in this shitty country and also I need some time by myself to fix my shit.
Is it that bad of a place?

I think it's the average cost. I'm aware London is much more expensive.

Yeah. A one-bed flat in the suburbs averages around £1200 per month. God knows what the prices are more central. Probably about £2k.

You could rent a three-bed house in the suburbs of Manchester for about £600 p/m.

I've never been to Way-yals, but Cardiff is supposed to be quite a modern city with decent nightlife and relatively affordable housing.

We're such a small country, you can always travel around until you find your base.

What country could be so bad to make you consider the UK as a new temporary home?

I've never been to Way-yals, but Cardiff is supposed to be quite a modern city with decent nightlife and relatively affordable housing.

We're such a small country, you can always travel around until you find your base.

What country could be so bad to make you consider the UK as a new temporary home?
Italy. I mean it's not THAT bad I guess.
I'll look into Cardiff thanks :)

Cardiff is a cool city.

I live about 50 miles away. Rents £300 for a 2/3 bedroom house.

And there's always the M4 to London.

Yeah. A one-bed flat in the suburbs averages around £1200 per month. God knows what the prices are more central. Probably about £2k.

You could rent a three-bed house in the suburbs of Manchester for about £600 p/m.

Yep, my former student flatmates where we were all paying 600/month rent and bills moved to Leeds last year to do their postgrad. They've got a two bed house for 300 a month near the centre. It's nuts. Too many rich fuckers in London and not enough housing being built for the rest of us.

Italy. I mean it's not THAT bad I guess.
I'll look into Cardiff thanks :)

One vote for Bristol or near there.
Has got a good music scene with not too rip off prices for flats etc...

I'm glad I did London when I was young. It was 275£ rent a month for a room in Clapham Jct in '96 which was already expensive at that time.

Another vote for Bristol!..plenty of work and people are mostly friendly whether your from there or not. Loads of work and good variety of nightlife.

Yep, my former student flatmates where we were all paying 600/month rent and bills moved to Leeds last year to do their postgrad. They've got a two bed house for 300 a month near the centre. It's nuts. Too many rich fuckers in London and not enough housing being built for the rest of us.

That's crazy.

A lot of London Boroughs are now relocating people to Northern towns and cities. The flats and houses the councils own are worth £millions now. They can no longer afford to let people pay £800 (or thereabouts) for their inner-city council flats that would cost triple that amount if they were on the private market.

My sister rents a flat in Brixton for silly money. It's just a normal two-bed conversion flat, but she says the owners could get £800k for it. That £800k would go quite far up north

I live in Surrey, which is ridiculously expensive! I pay £950 for a 2 bed cottage in rural village with terrible transport links (not that I need them but still). Definitely another vote for Bristol, either than or Brighton. Both have a good "alternative" scene, much cheaper housing, and just general good vibes :) If it weren't for my partner's job that's where we would be! I do actually love where I live, but if you have a choice, there are much better parts of the UK.

Where do you come from? do you need medical care? if you do like me you might be in for a shock, the NHS pretty much fucked up my life the past year by refusing and switching around my medication, otherwise youll be fine, but id get private healthcare, uk ppl prob dont understand the severity but if your from abroud you might be in for a shock.

thx to cameron you cant get benefits anymore if you move from abroud, hes being a complete idiot, eu immigrants contribute a ton to the economy, im unable to work because i cant get my meds but because im a eu national i cant get esa, fucking bullshit wasnt paid for 3 fucking months as they didnt let me know i couldnt get it, im a jointclaim with my girlfriend now.

I could easily do a job with my meds

Where do you come from? do you need medical care? if you do like me you might be in for a shock, the NHS pretty much fucked up my life the past year by refusing and switching around my medication, otherwise youll be fine, but id get private healthcare, uk ppl prob dont understand the severity but if your from abroud you might be in for a shock.

I'm from italy and no I don't have any particular need regarding med care.
I'm still deciding where to move, hard choice :\

As long as you stay the fuck out of London the cost of living isn't too bad especially with a flatmate or two. No way are you affording to live inside London without winning the Lotto or saving for a decade at this rate though. Sad because it's a lovely city.