View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Moving like an animal on shrooms

Espiritus

Bluelighter
This is kind of embarrassing but certainly doesn't feel so when I'm actually tripping. I keep wanting to be like a four-legged creature. I crawl around, stare at the ground, jump around on all fours. My body feels surprisingly light and I can hop around a lot without getting tired. I also stretch in weird ways on the ground. It's this desire to be close to the ground even when tripping indoors. Any thoughts on why this may happen? Anyone who can relate?

Ive had several experiences on psilocybin and other 4-substituted tryptamines where i felt as if i was an insectoid. A praying mantis to be exact.

The experience was not a full hallucination but peripheral in nature. It would be more pronounced with eyes closed. I could feel my arms and legs rubbing together as if i was some insect.

I find it not uncommon. The mushroom experience is very organic in nature.

I have no idea why you'd be embarrassed. We're animals! Mammals! I agree, mushrooms put you very in touch with your mammalian nature.

Yes. Give into the experience and allow the mushroom to guide you to fullfill any experience or desire you may have (within safe reason). Allow your own consciousness to form decisions and beliefs of the experience you had. Free from judgement or embarrassment.

Isnt that in fact what most of us seek in the psychedelic experience? Freeing the cages of your consciousness and forming your own beliefs, free of judgement based upon societal norms.

Last edited:
I kind of know what you're talking about. I like to move my spine in different ways (yoga!) when tripping. I read from some japanese researcher (can't come up with the name, google could bring it up), that nearly all vertebrates move their spine in a wavelike motion when moving forward. Like a fish, swinging from side to side, know what i mean?
When humans got up on 2 legs we abandoned this movement but it's still very healthy for our spine.

I think your preference for that kind of motion is very natural ! Embrace it ??

I often feel my most animalistic instincts coming out when I'm on shrooms.

That's awesome, thanks for the replies! It feels very natural and desirable when I move around like that. Organic is a good word.

@Espiritus;

maybe you lose your balance a bit if you stand up, (low blood pressure)
but you don't seem to scrape your knees too badly on all 4's,
so you gambol about close to the floor and have a great time under the tables.

see you there next time I go!

I feel like a child on shrooms in that it makes exploring my enviorment an exciting and scary experience best done crawling. You're on shrooms, if that's not a good excuse to be an animal than I don't know what is!@

^^ they do bring a child like wonder to every sensory experience surrounding you. As if seeing everything for the first time through different eyes. Or the “eye”

^My favourite part about tripping... I will pick up my guitar and it's like playing for the first time all over again, but with skill. Or, listen to a song I have been loving and listening too a little often, and it is like hearing it for the first time. Going outside... looking in awe at the brick patterns of houses, or streetlights, the moon, airplanes, grass, trees, little squirrels... anything at all blows my mind with awe and amazing. Going to the mall today was... I don't think I was at the mall. I don't even know if I was on this planet anymore, or if it even exists. :D8o

That's rad man. I love to do yoga when I am tripping. Especially, yin yoga (holding stationary, passive asanas for 5 or 10 min or so). My fave are ten min tripping downward dogs, or sitting cross legged with nice posture on my meditation cushion.

Never tried roaming around like an animal like that... unless it is "slightly atypical human animal movement" haha. You should try hopping around like a frog next time and croaking some ribbits as well.

^^ speaking of frogs ive also had the delusion of becoming one on high doses. I just squatted down put my hands on the floor between my legs and boom; i was stuck there for a solid 30 min just enjoying the feeling or delusion of becoming one. So yea the whole animal thing (again) is not uncommon at all.

Ive never had this experience. But if it feels right, then why deny yourself?

It may seem silly but so many things in life are.

I say enjoy away!

I have very much the experience of regressing to a much more primitive state, and flashes of images of myself as a stoned, contemplative chimp or common ancestor, looking at the outside world through the eyes and mind of a creature who does not understand lightning and thunder, rainbows, the northern lights or any of the other lights in the night. I tend to squat and let my fingers brush, twist and rip up little stands of grass, twirling them like a little girl twists and plays with the ringlets of her hair or a cat with a piece of string. It's very strange and potentially embarrassing to be struck with this compulsion to act like a dumbstruck ape staring for long stretches at my campfire while I pet and brush the texture of my lawn (especially when it's long), but hey, that's what psychoactive substances are for--exploration and opening up parts of the mind in a spirit of exploration, free from judgement or negativity.

Typically, there is not anyone of my neighbours who would ever stop by or see into my yard enough to make me feel self-conscious. And happily, none of them are people I would really feel embarrassed to tell I was having an experience on mushrooms, kindly fuck off or pay no attention to the yard ape for a few hours so kindly fuck off or ignore him if you need to barbecue at 11pm or otherwise go out onto your back deck and look over the fence into the neighbour's yard.

^^ Has anyone ever listened to any of mckenna’s lectures on the stoned ape theory.

The basis is that hominoids were able to evolve to a higher state of consciousness and self awareness, propelled by the use entheogens; particularly refering to the use of psilocybin containing mushrooms as environmental factors forced them to move toward the bushes of africa.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen Altered States?
He takes some.sort of tincture/powder (? I cant recall) in a sensory deprevation chamber and regresses to more primative forms of being.

that’s super interesting, with all everyone said multiple studies have now actually pointed to the fact that LSD, and I assume psilocybin to a similar degree, temporarily alters brain wiring so that areas that should not be communicating or otherwise active do. So that leads to seeing the world again through a child’s eye, and literally thinking and feeling as though you’re a child who’s amazed at everything you see for the first time.

but anyways, that sounds amazing and nothing to be embarrassed about. sounds like shrooms are doing their job for you :)

lol me and my buddies always joke about how mushies turn you back into homo erectus, shit had us in tears. Now it just a general term for referring to someone whos too intoxicated to function properly.

^^ speaking of frogs ive also had the delusion of becoming one on high doses. I just squatted down put my hands on the floor between my legs and boom; i was stuck there for a solid 30 min just enjoying the feeling or delusion of becoming one. So yea the whole animal thing (again) is not uncommon at all.

Perhaps you were a frog in a past incarnation? I never really see animals or feel like one, but there is a beautiful gothic kinda chick who appears to me rather frequently. She knows everything about me, is tall and slender, dresses in crimson red and black. Likes to smirk at me and snuggle up to me while I'm on dmt. She is super shy... she doesn't like to be seen for more than a moment. First time I saw her, my eyes were half closed and she was standing at the edge of the bed watching me rest... when she noticed my eyes were open a bit she freaked out and quickly turned around and vanished. She has red hair, and is so beautiful. I have a crush on an entity... it's not like I can get any in "real life" anyway :?