European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Moving from your hometown

SmokingAces

Bluelighter
Well, as some of you may or may not know about my personal situation recently, things have not been easy.

I sometimes come across rather crass on here. I know this is no excuse, but I've been looking after my uncle who has serious mental disabilities, aswell as now Alzheimer's.

I'm only 25 and this has weighed on my heavily, watching someone close to you deteriorate like that isn't easy for most people. I also have bipolar, and because of kidney issues I can't take the seroquel as it causes pain. So I'm basically under no medication to help.

Add that to my mother, who seems to be of the belief that this is my calling in life. She backs none of my dreams of becoming a personal trainer in a big UK City, despite the fact I'm fairly fit and know a lot about it. She wants us all to move to another country - with I'll uncle who can take 3-5 hours just to get out of bed to a state he is coherent in the morning, once I've changed him and everything else, while she is at work.

She can't understand why I'm so upset and that this is not what I wanted for my life personally. I got good grades in school. I've worked for HSBC, and I really do want a life for myself. Every girlfriend I've ever had she moans about them coming to "our" house, as this is her house basically.

She moans about me doing drugs (smoking weed, I try not to let on much else), yet once she's drunk asks me for a bud. Same stuff if she's sober she'll ask me to smoke outside because "it stinks the house out".

Today I finally realised. Even if I don't have much money. I should be happier than this, I've literally had ex girlfriends who were models. I've enjoyed parties in Ibiza with best of the best drugs. I've had jobs I loved. Yet I find myself here because I feel duty bound to help my uncle.

However there is no thanks. Because of his condition he lashes out at me. My mother (his sister) does very little to actually have anything to do with him. Instead my dad does the majority of it. I love my dad so much, he is my hero, he would do whatever he could for anyone who needed him because he is a kind man who never puts himself first. Yet I feel my mum takes advantage of this.

So... I've packed a suitcase. I have just under a thousand pounds and get paid every 2 weeks. Given the way this situation is effecting my mental health do you guys agree it's best I just look for a rented flat and move away? Try and find myself and get away from all of this which is clearly eating me up from the inside?

Many thanks

I'm only 25 and this has weighed on my heavily, watching someone close to you deteriorate like that isn't easy for most people. I also have bipolar, and because of kidney issues I can't take the seroquel as it causes pain. So I'm basically under no medication to help.
Your predicament sounds terrible. Forgive me for picking out this one issue though, as I think it's of the utmost importance. Did they not test your kidney function (along with the ECG and all the other obligations) prior to you commencing quetiapine? Surely any problems would have been flagged at that early stage. Have you not reported this problem to your doctor? Are you not on a 'proper' mood stabiliser in addition to quetiapine? If not, go and see your doctor about an alternative medication NOW. You're considering a move from your parents' house, which is probably the biggest trigger for mood episodes in younger people. To do so without being sensible about your health is pretty much guaranteeing that you'll go over the edge. You might find that once medicated properly, you'll be able to deal much better with what's on your plate, and you'll make better decisions about your future. Best of luck.

Do it !

Family drama / life is really absorbing and can (if you let it) just sort of stop you being 'you'. Move out, find a new place - start again. Think of it like this, the current atmosphere stops you thinking rationally about how to fix it, give yourself some space, reflect and then you can offer your input as an outsider.

At the moment your probably seen as 'his son' and therefore your opinions are just looked over.

Your predicament sounds terrible. Forgive me for picking out this one issue though, as I think it's of the utmost importance. Did they not test your kidney function (along with the ECG and all the other obligations) prior to you commencing quetiapine? Surely any problems would have been flagged at that early stage. Have you not reported this problem to your doctor? Are you not on a 'proper' mood stabiliser in addition to quetiapine? If not, go and see your doctor about an alternative medication NOW. You're considering a move from your parents' house, which is probably the biggest trigger for mood episodes in younger people. To do so without being sensible about your health is pretty much guaranteeing that you'll go over the edge. You might find that once medicated properly, you'll be able to deal much better with what's on your plate, and you'll make better decisions about your future. Best of luck.

Believe it or not I never noticed much difference on or off the seroquel. It did make life easier but I'm smart enough to realise with a drug like seroquel it's just a game of ever increasing tolerance and ever diminishing results. Sounds full hardy but I would rather just deal with it, I'm a pretty strong minded character.

Got 2 viewings teed up already. Both look pretty nice. Both reasonably priced.

It's the fact my mum can't seem to get past her pig headed attitude to see this current situation is only making things worse for me and holding me back from ever making a success of my own life.
I doubt I will ever forgive or forget that.

And yes Bearlove, very wise post. That is exactly the case. Good luck to them when I'm gone. My mums already driven away my auntie, 2 of her nieces and most of her friends. I guess from that you get the picture.

Regardless of what you believe about quetiapine (and I've never witnessed any kind of tolerance issues, merely dosage adjustments up AND down) there are other medications out there. I very much doubt that you can 'deal with it' if we're talking classic bipolar. Cyclothymia maybe, but you're still setting yourself up to fail. Why bother taking a massive risk with your health? Get on lithium, valproate or lamotrigine. You'll wonder how you ever got on without it.

Move out and start afresh without the baggage of 'good luck to them' - your moving out to start your new life. Shit has happened,your taking control and your moving forward (not out of spite or anger etc) but to better yourself. I know its easier said than done but move because you want to move - its the right time for you.

If you are or were close to your aunties nieces and extended family then reach out to them - they probably love you more than you know and have their own relationship with you as a person rather than what you perceive as a nephew, cousin etc.

I do get the picture though and I know it's tough

I can really relate here!
You know that moving out is the best thing for you, this sounds really cold but over the years I've realised something,
'You need to look out for no.1' sure, help others along the way of you can but YOUR life is what's important to you. I grew up in a dead end town, no work prospects, no real future. One day I looked around, the people I knew, their parents lived local, met at the same school in town, got married in town, had kids who went to the same school they did. They all work for the same handful of local companies on £8 an hour, they have bought houses in town, but cars off people they know locally, they now have kids that will carry on the same shitty cycle of nothing!
It scared me, I packed my stuff and moved out to a place that offered me more work with better money.
Fast forward 6 years, I met my gf she was working a shitty job on minimum wage and I said 'let's move', we moved to a town where we don't know anyone. But who cares? You meet people along the way. In 4 years she has been able to work her way up to being a health and safety manager for a local firm less than a mile away nice Audi on the drive. She's done all thsi off her own back by the way! She's nearly 25, getting 30k a year and that will only ever increase.
I've pretty much done the same, from moving to somewhere more prosperous, in 4 years our lives have been transformed.
What I'm saying is don't get held back by anyone, your mum prob lets you sort your uncle because she can, if your not there she will have too. You can always visit, but PLEASE focus on your life
(Sorry for rambling on)

Bro i left home at 17, moved to the other side of Australia with $1000. Got a job. Got a room in a share house.Made new friends. Had a ball. After 18 months got made reduntant when the printing plant closed down. Moved back to Newcastle. Got a job..saved ( and a few dodgy sidelines ;) ) then went and travelled the world. Came back after a few years and moved to Byron Bay. No regrets. Life well lived. Dreams chased and achieved. Now i am in another phase. Looking after my elderly parents. This is why i became a nurse. I am 44. Have lived, seen the world..had a lot of mad times. For me to be a carer to my parents at my age with my knowledge just makes sense. For you to be wasting the best years of your life not chasing your dreams makes no sense to me. Go for it brother. Its a fucking big world out there. Go see it. Become a PT...then go do it in New York...or wherever. You get what i am saying. Take the risk. In my experience you will always land on your feet if you are a good person.

Sorry to hear bro. Your pretty much there in terms of your decision and reasoning.

The question really to ask yourself is why do you feel obliged to look after your uncle?

It took me a long time to realise that if your not happy those around you can not be happy. Unhappiness and frustration ruin the sub conscious of a relationship.

What you don't want to happen is you blowing up and storming out. That won't solve anything.

Be clear plain and simple, explain to your family preferably together the need to live your life in order that you can give them the best relationship.

Open and honest discussion trying to keep negative emotion and anger at bay essential. Promise you mate that if you do call that family meeting it will tell you who loves you as you are, who respects you as you and who just wants to use your good nature for their own gain. It will make the decision so much easier and will leave you absolved on any guilt or recriminations making it far easier to live your new life.

Your a strong intelligent character don't fear the unknown embrace it you will be fine. You'll find that your reliance on drugs will also reduce as you'll have a lot more things to keep your mind active.

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time dude. I'm definitely in the "look out for yourself first" camp. I'd probably think differently if it was my parents who needed care, because they've looked out for me a whole lot in the past. I'm hopeful that when that time comes I'll be at a stage in my life where career and life experiences are less important to me! But for anyone else in my family, I don't think I'd risk ruining my own opportunities for in the long term. I moved out 2 weeks after my 16th birthday because my parents moved away from the area I'd grown up in and I didn't want to be tied by where they need/wanted to be. (Turns out that doing that made me more confident about living in unfamiliar places at a younger age and I've been all over the place since). I've been back home for short periods but I definitely wouldn't consider it a long term option to live with them any more.

I sometimes worry that I'm actually quite a selfish person because I've always done what's best for me, but like Mr BnS says, you help other people out along the way. I try to be generous to my friends and am generally good for a favour when someone needs a hand. As a consequence of looking out for me though, I have managed to get myself into a relatively senior position in an interesting field of work and because I've been quite successful in making sure nobody depends on me (single, no kids - unlike practically everyone else I know now I'm comfortably into my 30s), can reap the rewards financially now (by buying my lunch from M&S every day, but you could have nice holidays or a car instead :p ).

It doesn't sound like you're deserting your uncle anyway. Does he have any professional care help in place? If not, maybe a parting gesture to your folks could be looking into getting an assessment to see if any options are available to him? (I don't really have much else to offer on this topic, sorry!).

I haven't had much time to reply to any of your other posts of late but I do try read them. It sounds like a bit of an adventure is exactly what you need to get back into a positive position in your life again, so I wholeheartedly recommend you go for it. Good luck dude! :D

Go for it mate...

My parents died when I was young...I worked and supported myself through uni 3 times...(came out with 2 degrees...economics & business and paramedic science)...quit the medicine degree but I had reasons...

I left home with nothing and made a life for myself. Yeah there have been hard times but hardship made me the person I am today....

I know whatever life throws at me I'll meet it head on...

Go for it ...enjoy the good times...meet the bad times head on and build a life for yourself...never forgetting that helping others is the most rewarding and noble thing you can do....never look back....no regrets...life isnt a rehearsal....Go for it....

I'm 25 too mate and can kind-of relate to your situation... I was gradually becoming more and more depressed in my home-town as at the time I had a ton of psychological issues as well as a mephedrone addiction to deal with, so I always thought leaving and setting up a new life somewhere far away was the best thing for me. That was 2 and a half years ago; now I've moved to North Wales, have dealt with the underlying causes of my issues and now finally have hope for the future :) Go for it, it's never too late to make yourself truly happy man

Thanks so much for all the replies to everyone who did.

The last couple of days for me have been quite emotional. I laid a lot of blame for my circumstance on my mother, which in retrospect was wrong of me. As she's just doing what she can and coming from an alcoholic pair of parents she's looked after my uncle since she was in her 20's after getting her uni qualification.

It's just me, I need to move in order to grow. And sooner rather than later. For my own mental state, my mania and depressive episodes have been worse recently. I've tried trips and everything to clear the cobwebs. But really I just need a fresh start.

I have a couple of questions for those who have been through similar. I get benefits for my bipolar, and being my uncles carer. It's only £600 a month. What would happen if I moved? I know I will loose the carers allowance. But what about my Employment Support Allowance? Before anyone says anything I fully intend on getting a job. My goal is to save enough to take a personal training course £2650 and then do that as a career, a transferable skill which can get me work anywhere, Australia even :)
But it the meantime my only qualification is event management. So I would be looking for a few hours work in a hotel, or theatre, cinema etc. and would my benefit still come if I only worked 16 hours to start? Until I built up to more?

Also the places I'm looking at are £400-500 for a studio one bed. I don't want to live with anyone else as if like my own pad. And what about that? Would the government help me with rent? Ideally I don't want to be on benefits after being there 3 months but in the beginning if they would help with rent that would help massively.

It's worth noting I have exactly £1500 currently and that's it. A few small investments in crypto and the likes.

I have friends in the city I'm moving to, good friends.

Thanks guys. EADD feels like a good place to gain some information here! :)

You would still get ESA if you moved and if you worked under 16 hours..

As for rent everyone who is unemployed is entitled to housing benefit which is about 80 quid a week IIRC the rest of your rent you have to make up yourself....

But many landlords wont accept housing benefit so best go to the local housing office of letting agency and they will tell you which landlords will...

Dont be disappointed if the place you getting what you want as if you have a plan you will get better..remember it's only temporary.

Yeah well this is it man. And honestly I dont really want to be on benefits. It's just, I'm not on seroquel. I cant take my meds because of recent kidney problems, they seem to hurt my stomach and also make me more hungry, which my system cant process. Which makes me think its best when I look for work to start small 16 hours and try and build up. I dont want to be on ESA, I would rather be fully working. And you never know, one of my crypto investments might come good and money will no longer be a worry!

But if it meant there were no nice places to live and it was only wrong end of town type places taking people with ESA. I would probably just have to try and push myself? But I really want this to work and not to fall flat in my face 3 months down the line. Which is what happened when I moved out before, though the money issue there came from my flatmate moving home.

I know you dont want to do the sharehouse thing bro but dont rule it out. Its cheaper than your own place and a good way of meeting people. Through them you meet other people..and so on...and thats how you make contacts for work in a new town. Contacts have always been my source for work when i have travelled or moved town. Most jobs are never advertised.
I am supposed to be bi polar too. I dont take seroquel for it either. I use meditation, good food and to be honest i have had no manic issues for many years and i put that down to some rewiring of the brain via DMT. I have no other explanation.

So your options now are move with what you have saved. Get a job pronto and roll on from there ( thats how i roll but not for everyone)

Stay as long as you can, save some more..try and double down on you existing coin by making some short term "investments" then fuck off and chase your dreams.

Either way...chase those dreams. Its the only way they come true.

I couldnt agree more mate....

Chase those dreams. Never give up ...cherish those who love you fuck those who don't...reach for the stars......NEVER GIVE UP...IF YOU WANT IT BAD ENOUGH YOU WILL GET IT. .when things seem impossible dont give up...hold on to your dreams brother....you'll get there...
[MENTION=198822]consumer[/MENTION] is still a cunt though...:)

I couldnt agree more mate....

Chase those dreams. Never give up ...cherish those who love you fuck those who don't...reach for the stars......NEVER GIVE UP...IF YOU WANT IT BAD ENOUGH YOU WILL GET IT. .when things seem impossible dont give up...hold on to your dreams brother....you'll get there...

[MENTION=198822]consumer[/MENTION] is a fucking legend..:)

Thanks G ;)