• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Mother of OD victim wants BitCoins banned

^ This is correct. I have bought bitcoins several times and have never had to leave my house to do it and it has never had any connection to my bank account (or any other bank account). There were no ties to any legit brick and mortar bank at all.

I do not feel comfortable discussing it here on the forum but if you will message me I will be more than happy to explain.

Oh ok, I'm wondering if this is the same for Australia though as when my mate was doing it I think he was crapping on about it sucked how he had to go down the bank and deposit cash and he couldnt find anywhere where he could do it online. I dont think it had any relation to his bank account, it's just that he had to deposit cash to some other bank account. Im guessing it was the bit coins place's account then they'd transfer them to his wallet or whatever.

Never leaving your house and yet having no connection to your bank account or any bank account, that's something I can't work out, but maybe it ties into what Bit pattern said about Tor. Interesting.

If you think that legalising all 79 pages X 12 ie over 1000 drugs on these sites is going to make everyone, including non users who want the freedom not to live with drug and alcohol related crimes and violence, better off - think again sunshine. There is no way anyone would or could make all that these sites sell legal AND NOR SHOULD THEY. So go back to the drawing board Poledriver. Idiot comment again. This generation of people buying from these sites because they think it is safer than buying from a man in the street doesn't realise any unemployed person who comes across any toxic poison that looks white from anywhere in the globe can set up on these online drug sites and sell any toxin to anyone, anywhere in the globe....and it just astonishes me that people like poledriver still want to see this as personal choice. Back in the 70s if people wanted drugs they had to go to a lot of difficulty in sourcing and that is better than now - because sourcing acted as a deterrent. Also the product range was much more limited. Now young people think they are in a candy shop only the candy isn't always sweet (and there are no guarantees). Its nice you say it was my son's choice to take an adulterated drug when it clearly wasn't at all. Legalisation isn't possible when these filthy sites are developing one new synthetic high a week and I am surprised you don't back up and support me in trying to shut these sites down (and if shutting down the cash bitcoin dealers is one way to do then lets do it).

AlannaLouisa, my heart goes out to you over the loss of your only son. It has been two years since I found my son's body, read the awful facts in the coroner's and toxicology reports and tried to make sense of the nightmare that I found myself living in. It is an unspeakable torture losing a child in any way, but it is a layered torture when they have overdosed on drugs (and I include the legal drug alcohol here). Our sons sound like they were roughly the same age. The difference is that I knew my son was using drugs, had recently become addicted to a legal drug that he ordered online and so it was no shock that he was using. Still, I always had faith that he would regain control of his life and turn things around. Our entire family, right along with my son, struggled to come to grips with the confusing world of the "War on Drugs" and all the fallout of being plunged into the criminal justice system, our own philosophies about use, abuse and addiction, which theories to subscribe to towards recovery and the list goes on. We had lots of frank talks, heated arguments, impasses, breakthroughs, education, denial and more often than not, despair that any of us would know what to do with 100% certainty. I know how hard it was to decide how I felt, where I stood, what to believe in etc. while trying to hash all this out before my son died. I cannot imagine trying to do it at all when you are still dealing with the shock and horror of your loss.

I decided, within hours of my son's death, that blame would not be my focus. Don't get me wrong--I fell prey to those thoughts many times and sometimes still do. In my case, I wanted to blame the drug pushing world of modern psychiatry and the big drug manufacturers for the horrendous drugs we were encouraged to allow my son to be a lab rat for at a very early age. I wanted to blame my country for the very misguided "war on drugs" that had made a felon of my son a week after he turned 18 because he had LSD in his back-pack (a slap on the wrist for my generation, a felony for his). I wanted to blame my culture which believes that it can punish away any complex and daunting problem it doesn't want to deal with, thereby incarcerating more people than any country on earth. I wanted to blame a system that offers no real mental health help, only sanctioned for-(obscene)profit drugs, and then further punishes those that seek to self-medicate with substances that are often unregulated and dangerous. I wanted to blame anyone and everyone that sanctimoniously blames an addict for their addiction. And to be perfectly honest, I also wanted to blame internet sites that I felt glorified drug use and created virtual cheerleading for very young and sometimes very troubled people, http://www.bluelight.org//vb/threads/588158-In-the-interest-of-honesty. The problem is, blaming does not lead to understanding. It sometimes prevents it.

Here are some things I believe:
taking drugs can be dangerous/ taking drugs can be perfectly safe.
drugs can be used for good/ drugs can ruin lives
people take drugs to self medicate/ people take drugs to have fun/people take drugs to change their consciousness
legal drugs/illegal drugs is a false construct
using the internet for any number of purposes can be dangerous/ using the internet for any number of purposes can be enlightening and educational

Considering those realities, and all the complexity they represent, how do countries make realistic drug policies? How do parents talk to their children about substances that alter consciousness? How do people make choices about whether to ever try, or not try, anything at all?

I respect your passion for wanting to make the world safer for kids. I want that, too, passionately. I work with children every day, see their vulnerabilities increased by the presence of the web in their young lives and wonder how they will navigate it. I talk to young adults here on Bluelight every day in the recovery forums and I want peace and safety for every one of them. This is a messy, complex world and I would be arrogant and lying to say that I have anything at all figured out. I wanted to run from this world when my son died. Instead I decided to immerse myself with an open heart and mind and to listen and explore. No one should die in their teens or in their twenties or even in their fifties because they decided to take a risk and did not have readily available information on how to do it as safely as possible. People, our sons included, will make their own choices. Harm reduction is based on the idea that providing the most unbiased information possible so that people can make informed choices is the only way to effect their choices positively. Fear has never worked.

I grew up in the seventies and I did view drugs as candy in a candy shop, unfortunately.I feel lucky to have survived my own young life. It was not at all hard to get anything; quite the contrary. The rise now of new RCs is terrifying but prohibition has never worked and it never will. Bitcoin is used, like the internet itself, for nefarious purposes and good purposes. Again, I respect your passion and I respect your vision, I just can't see how the legal/illegal, or prohibitionist paradigm has done anything other than to make criminals out of perfectly decent people. Think about it-- we have had prohibition of every single substance except one of the most toxic and addictive (alcohol) and the legally prescribed hard drugs for years and years. In those same years, accidental overdose on prescription opiates has overtaken cars as the leading cause of accidental death in the US for the first time since cars became widely used. Addiction to heroin, cocaine and meth is thriving and growing. Whole countries are being ruined by drug cartels and the black marketing of substances. Making drugs legal will not solve every problem. It could solve a few. I think it is worth exploring and discussing, especially in light of the growing number of new RCs that hit the streets every day.

I hope that this thread can be a discussion, better yet, an exploration (as poledriver exemplifies) and not a back and forth of vitriol or snarky comments. A young man's life has ended tragically and his family is devastated. Surely the tone, from all of us, can be one of respect and openness to other perspectives. I never thought that I would miss arguing about drugs with my son but I do. He taught me a lot while he was here and I'm still learning from the short trajectory of his life. Alanna, I hope that you can learn from people here and they can learn from you.

Last edited:
^ Great post harbavore, thanks for sharing.

AlannaLouisa you can call my posts idiotic, and anything else you like, I don't mind, I know you must be going through some serious pain and suffering, something I wouldn't and can't understand on the same level, but I have lost some loved ones, even a sibling much younger than your son, who would be in her late 20's now if she was alive still, but it wasn't drug related. Anyway, do whatever it is you feel is right, no one knows the answers and how it's all going to end up. And of course you are going to come up against some criticism in your ideas to a bunch of people who mostly all have used illegal drugs at some stage in their lives, or still do.

I hope you share more of your ideas how you see it could work and change things positively. And I hope others here on BL respect her grief and circumstances in their replies to this article and her comments.

Take care.

Last edited:
Oh ok, I'm wondering if this is the same for Australia though as when my mate was doing it I think he was crapping on about it sucked how he had to go down the bank and deposit cash and he couldnt find anywhere where he could do it online. I dont think it had any relation to his bank account, it's just that he had to deposit cash to some other bank account. Im guessing it was the bit coins place's account then they'd transfer them to his wallet or whatever.

Never leaving your house and yet having no connection to your bank account or any bank account, that's something I can't work out, but maybe it ties into what Bit pattern said about Tor. Interesting.

Again, I've never used BC but this is how I imagine something like this would work:

Credit Card >> Paypal Account >> BC exchange >> Wallet >> Transactions

I'm sure PayPal could be convinced not to participate such transactions but I'm certain that you could change the PayPal part of that flowchart to any number of more amenable money transfer companies

Yeah, as you said they could probably stop it via the CC/PP thing, but then there would no doubt be work arounds somehow.

Thank you for sharing herbavore. Great post, I totally agree, it's incredible how lives are altered because of all this.

AlannaLouisa, my heart goes out to you over the loss of your only son. It has been two years since I found my son's body, read the awful facts in the coroner's and toxicology reports and tried to make sense of the nightmare that I found myself living in. It is an unspeakable torture losing a child in any way, but it is a layered torture when they have overdosed on drugs (and I include the legal drug alcohol here). Our sons sound like they were roughly the same age. The difference is that I knew my son was using drugs, had recently become addicted to a legal drug that he ordered online and so it was no shock that he was using. Still, I always had faith that he would regain control of his life and turn things around. Our entire family, right along with my son, struggled to come to grips with the confusing world of the "War on Drugs" and all the fallout of being plunged into the criminal justice system, our own philosophies about use, abuse and addiction, which theories to subscribe to towards recovery and the list goes on. We had lots of frank talk, heated arguments, impasses, breakthroughs, education, denial and more often than not, despair that any of us would know what to do. I know how hard it was to decide how I felt, where I stood, what to believe in etc. while trying to hash all this out before my son died. I cannot imagine trying to do it at all when you are still dealing with the shock and horror of your loss.

I decided, within hours of my son's death, that blame would not be my focus. Don't get me wrong--I fell prey to those thoughts many times and sometimes still do. In my case, I wanted to blame the drug pushing world of modern psychiatry and the big drug manufacturers for the horrendous drugs we were encouraged to allow my son to be a lab rat for at a very early age. I wanted to blame my country for the very misguided "war on drugs" that had made a felon of my son a week after he turned 18 because he had LSD in his back-pack (a slap on the wrist for my generation, a felony for his). I wanted to blame my culture which believes that it can punish away any complex and daunting problem it doesn't want to deal with, thereby incarcerating more people than any country on earth. I wanted to blame a system that offers no real mental health help, only sanctioned for-obscene-profit drugs, and then further punishes those that seek to self-medicate with substances that are often unregulated and dangerous. I wanted to blame anyone and everyone that sanctimoniously blames an addict for their addiction. And to be perfectly honest, I also wanted to blame internet sites that I felt glorified drug use and created virtual cheerleading for very young and sometimes very troubled people, http://www.bluelight.org//vb/threads/588158-In-the-interest-of-honesty. The problem is, blaming does not lead to understanding. It sometimes prevents it.

Here are some things I believe:
taking drugs can be dangerous/ taking drugs can be perfectly safe.
drugs can be used for good/ drugs can ruin lives
people take drugs to self medicate/ people take drugs to have fun/people take drugs to change their consciousness
legal drugs/illegal drugs is a false construct
using the internet for any number of purposes can be dangerous/ using the internet for any number of purposes can be enlightening and educational

Considering those realities, and all the complexity they represent, how do countries make realistic drug policies? How do parents talk to their children about substances that alter consciousness? How do people make choices about whether to ever try, or not try, anything at all?

I respect your passion for wanting to make the world safer for kids. I want that, too, passionately. I work with children every day, see their vulnerabilities increased by the presence of the web in their young lives and wonder how they will navigate it. I talk to young adults here on Bluelight every day in the recovery forums and I want peace and safety for every one of them. This is a messy, complex world and I would be arrogant and lying to say that I have anything at all figured out. I wanted to run from this world when my son died. Instead I decided to immerse myself with an open heart and mind and to listen and explore. No one should die in their teens or in their twenties or even in their fifties because they decided to take a risk and did not have readily available information on how to do it as safely as possible. People, our sons included, will make their own choices. Harm reduction is based on the idea that providing the most unbiased information possible so that people can make informed choices is the only way to effect their choices positively. Fear has never worked.

I grew up in the seventies and I did view drugs as candy in a candy shop, unfortunately.I feel lucky to have survived my own young life. It was not at all hard to get anything; quite the contrary. The rise now of new RCs is terrifying but prohibition has never worked and it never will. Bitcoin is used, like the internet itself, for nefarious purposes and good purposes. Again, I respect your passion and I respect your vision, I just can't see how the legal/illegal, or prohibitionist paradigm has done anything other than to make criminals out of perfectly decent people. Think about it-- we have had prohibition of every single substance except one of the most toxic and addictive (alcohol) and the legally prescribed hard drugs for years and years. In those same years, accidental overdose on prescription opiates has overtaken cars as the leading cause of accidental death in the US for the first time since cars became widely used. Addiction to heroin, cocaine and meth is thriving and growing. Whole countries are being ruined by drug cartels and the black marketing of substances. Making drugs legal will not solve every problem. It could solve a few. I think it is worth exploring and discussing, especially in light of the growing number of new RCs that hit the streets every day.

I hope that this thread can be a discussion, better yet, an exploration (as poledriver exemplifies) and not a back and forth of vitriol or snarky comments. A young man's life has ended tragically and his family is devastated. Surely the tone, from all of us, can be one of respect and openness to other perspectives. I never thought that I would miss arguing about drugs with my son but I do. He taught me a lot while he was here and I'm still learning from the short trajectory of his life. Alanna, I hope that you can learn from people here and they can learn from you.

As most of your posts do, this leaves me at a loss for words. You are so great! <3

Herbivore
thank you. Yes I can empathise with so much of what you said to me. Only someone who has been through what I have can fully understand. My boy was bright and intelligent and that's what makes this all so hard to understand. Only in year twelve (three years ago) did I read him say in blogs to his friends "I hate stoners and I hate emos". Yet in the last month of year twelve he meets a girl - the first girl he ever kissed and yes she introduced him to weed and in his own words he became a "stoner". He started buying from Silk Road only late in 2011. He only ever made approx. 8 or 9 purchases and some jointly with his friends who said "they wanted to try everything." He wasn't addicted - they timed these "experiments" for uni breaks. They were just that - experiments and they were doing it jointly - enough for a night out and a fun time. With the $900 I understand he bought 3 grams of this cocaine. The police say they took less than one gram away ie was left BUT I don't believe that because people, my brother who found my son dead on our bed, said there was a bag with quite a bit in it. He came home from work and turned on his computer at 5.15pm. At 5.35pm all browsing history stopped. There were two enveloped in the bin. It seems he bought the cocaine plus a small amount of mdma powder. He had no mdma in his system at all but it seems he was trying to put the mdma in capsules (that's what they do his friends told me). The police told me it looked like he was "manufacturing" (and that because he had one gel cap full of mdma on his desk plus some empty gel caps). I think he only got one cap filled because he took a line perhaps of this cocaine and it killed him very quickly. No lights were on in the house when he was found at 11 am the next morning. His father and I were on holidays overseas. There had been no food eaten, no glasses, no nothing - just my son dead in our bed. The toxicology report showed therapeutic levels of all - except that it had been cut with Levamisole? I don't understand anything anymore. I don't even understand why he would have experimented with these things that are so dangerous. He was so young and so beautiful. He didn't need to. It has broken my heart losing him. He was my best friend.

Someone asked me how bitcoins should be regulated? That is fairly simple. You go after the bitcoin currency exchange traders that advertise "we only accept cash" just like Cryptospend pty ltd that was only too happy to take my son's money. There are decent honest bitcoin currency exchange traders out there and then there are scum who know most of their business is coming from the filthy online drug sites and other black markets. It isn't too hard to pick them. They only want cash and freely advertise such on their websites. They are the ones that regulation needs to target plus why does any one need encrypted transactions if they are not selling on the black market or evading their taxes? If the transactions are more traceable, the mushrooming of these degenerate online drug websites would stop. Think about this - the only drug sites like Silk Road, BMR, Sheep, Pandora, Deepbay, whatever else have ONLY been going since 2009 and how many have died? How many think mdma, dmt, benzos, coke etc is now part of normal experimenting??? It isn't. I feel so sorry for the younger gen today with what they think is normal. Its abnormal what they are being sold and how they are being marketed to, thanks to the lightening speed of google (yes there is even a google helping you inside the TOR browser - why doesn't regulation call Google up and say "pay a shitload more you bastards.")

Herbivore
thank you. Yes I can empathise with so much of what you said to me. Only someone who has been through what I have can fully understand. My boy was bright and intelligent and that's what makes this all so hard to understand. Only in year twelve (three years ago) did I read him say in blogs to his friends "I hate stoners and I hate emos". Yet in the last month of year twelve he meets a girl - the first girl he ever kissed and yes she introduced him to weed and in his own words he became a "stoner". He started buying from Silk Road only late in 2011. He only ever made approx. 8 or 9 purchases and some jointly with his friends who said "they wanted to try everything." He wasn't addicted - they timed these "experiments" for uni breaks. They were just that - experiments and they were doing it jointly - enough for a night out and a fun time. With the $900 I understand he bought 3 grams of this cocaine. The police say they took less than one gram away ie was left BUT I don't believe that because people, my brother who found my son dead on our bed, said there was a bag with quite a bit in it. He came home from work and turned on his computer at 5.15pm. At 5.35pm all browsing history stopped. There were two enveloped in the bin. It seems he bought the cocaine plus a small amount of mdma powder. He had no mdma in his system at all but it seems he was trying to put the mdma in capsules (that's what they do his friends told me). The police told me it looked like he was "manufacturing" (and that because he had one gel cap full of mdma on his desk plus some empty gel caps). I think he only got one cap filled because he took a line perhaps of this cocaine and it killed him very quickly. No lights were on in the house when he was found at 11 am the next morning. His father and I were on holidays overseas. There had been no food eaten, no glasses, no nothing - just my son dead in our bed. The toxicology report showed therapeutic levels of all - except that it had been cut with Levamisole? I don't understand anything anymore. I don't even understand why he would have experimented with these things that are so dangerous. He was so young and so beautiful. He didn't need to. It has broken my heart losing him. He was my best friend.

I'm going to quote this for truth and honesty. The police said he was 'manufacturing' because he had filled a cap full of MDMA. Such bullshit, he was probably doing it for his own consumption later or to give it to friends. It's really sad your son died, I think people like me and probably hundreds if not thousands can relate to this whole thing, sure, I didnt order coke or mdma from a website, but to tell you the truth I have bought both off friend ages ago in the past who got it off who? It's all up the chain. When I used to goto raves in the early to mid 90's in Syd there was loads of E's (ecstasy - MDMA) around and most of the pills were just that, MDMA, they were alot more expensive than they are now, but I had some of the times of my life. We weren't into coke much, more E's and some LSD and speed sometimes, it wasnt crystal speed then (ice) but it was still meth and sometimes powerful.

I had some of the times of my life, but no one died or got a habit from what we did, and raves got banned and now they dont happen as much in Syd (except for festivals and such in legal venues, but we went to alot in places like Alexandria and Mascot before they became so residential for large warehouse parties where you could buy E's very easily) (and there was one in brookvale that was lots of fun, and even one on the golf course near you, anyway, my point is I feel for you that you have lost your son and best friend, and I and probably others appreciate that you opened up about it to us.

This is pretty unique for here, 'drugs in the media' as far as I know, maybe it's happened before, but it's not very common, for a media article to be posted and for a family member come and open up and discuss the ins and outs of it all.

Thank you.

Someone asked me how bitcoins should be regulated? That is fairly simple. You go after the bitcoin currency exchange traders that advertise "we only accept cash" just like Cryptospend pty ltd that was only too happy to take my son's money. There are decent honest bitcoin currency exchange traders out there and then there are scum who know most of their business is coming from the filthy online drug sites and other black markets. It isn't too hard to pick them. They only want cash and freely advertise such on their websites. They are the ones that regulation needs to target plus why does any one need encrypted transactions if they are not selling on the black market or evading their taxes? If the transactions are more traceable, the mushrooming of these degenerate online drug websites would stop. Think about this - the only drug sites like Silk Road, BMR, Sheep, Pandora, Deepbay, whatever else have ONLY been going since 2009 and how many have died? How many think mdma, dmt, benzos, coke etc is now part of normal experimenting??? It isn't. I feel so sorry for the younger gen today with what they think is normal. Its abnormal what they are being sold and how they are being marketed to, thanks to the lightening speed of google (yes there is even a google helping you inside the TOR browser - why doesn't regulation call Google up and say "pay a shitload more you bastards.")

This part is not so clear to me, some places and sites and technologies will always provide ways for people to be able to purchase bitcoins (like discussed above) or whatever is needed in the future to get them, and regarding the part about the how many have died since 2009 from SR and the other sites, well I would honestly guess that it's not many more than on average who have died from drugs in the past. In the 90's we had LOADS of heroin in Syd, remember Cabramatta ? People could goto the train station and around that area and score heroin easier than finding a place to take a piss or a dump, it was apparently that easy. Many lives were lost from OD's from high purity heroin OD's around that time from there and many other areas, Melb had it's share of areas like that too.

Ban Air. And Parents. And THINKING!

Brought to you by NewsCorp and Murdoch.

Also, does anyone here know what the word "decentralized" means? How could one ban something that is "decentralized". I will let all BlueLight members you ponder on that for a while.

have ONLY been going since 2009 and how many have died? How many think mdma, dmt, benzos, coke etc is now part of normal experimenting???
Not any more than before. Online trading has changed nothing but adding a method of obtaining. It's in the human nature to experiment with such things otherwise now we would not have things like coffe, tea, alcohol, etc. etc.
Hey it's in the nature of life it self too - just check how many species deliberately intoxicate themselves. Only humans have the possibility to make it either safe or unsafe. Unfortunately unsafe is the choice for now.

Maybe alot do, but not all. Take Tony Trimingham for instance, his son, Damien died of a heroin overdose in Sydney in 1997.

Mr Trimingham said he would wholeheartedly support regulation in heroin use in Australia and is adamant that doing so would eradicate many of the social problems associated with addiction.

http://www.news.com.au/national/the...ir-son-to-heroin/story-e6frfkp9-1226682357495

That a father, not a mother.... But I get your point, its just I didn't mean that as a factual statement. More accurate would have been saying that the vast majority think its the answer to crack down on the drug trade.

Someone asked me how bitcoins should be regulated? That is fairly simple. You go after the bitcoin currency exchange traders that advertise "we only accept cash" just like Cryptospend pty ltd that was only too happy to take my son's money

You might be able to stop Australian vendors - sure - but it's a virtual currency, even if you did there'd be 100 other foreign vendors happy to make encrypted transactions. I dunno, TBH I don't know how it all works in detail, you've probably learned a lot more about how it all works since your life was so rudely interrupted but my gut feeling is that it would be completely infeasible to stop.

whatever else have ONLY been going since 2009 and how many have died? How many think mdma, dmt, benzos, coke etc is now part of normal experimenting???

That was all a part of experimenting when I was your son's age too, that was a nearly a decade before anyone even conceived that something like Silk Road could ever be possible. You could then, just like I am sure you can do now, walk into any nightclub and connect with any of those drugs and more. I don't want to be an arsehole about it but you're really barking up the wrong tree on this one. If you managed to eliminate BC tomorrow, any curious teenager who wants to experiment will *still* be able to do so.

thanks to the lightening speed of google (yes there is even a google helping you inside the TOR browser - why doesn't regulation call Google up and say "pay a shitload more you bastards.")

This is kind of ridiculous. TOR is an invaluable tool, if you're a journalist reporting out of an oppressive regime, your going want to have TOR. If you're an activist being targeted by a government that wants to stop/infiltrate your organisation, you're going to want to have TOR. If you are a whistleblower, exposing dirt being done by government or powerful corporations, you're going to want to use TOR. It is a perfectly legitimate and, in this day and age, extremely necessary. Google has every right - indeed I would argue every responsibility - to make damned well sure they're NOT blocking the TOR browser or any other encryption software that might help protect people against the sorts off back-doors Google has opened up for the NSA in things like your Gmail account

Last edited:
Also, does anyone here know what the word "decentralized" means? How could one ban something that is "decentralized". I will let all BlueLight members you ponder on that for a while.

Thank you, that sums it in one sentence. May as well try and ban the internet.