• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Morphine withdrawal info please

LucasFudge

Greenlighter
Hello, everyone, It's been a long time!
I would really appreciate your experience here as I don't have any experience with withdrawing this one.
I've been through codeine withdrawal quite a few times from daily use anywhere from 30mg up to 600-900mg per day which sucked but the worst lasted about 5 days so it wasn't difficult to hang on.
Where first withdrawal 24h in
The worst probs started at 48h in for three days and then better and better.
Earlier this year also buprenorphine from about 3mg a day for maybe under one year... this one was bad uffff 7 days instill terror and I think I got better maybe 10+ days to just a manageable level it was evil ....especially that I didn't get myself ready for and just stopped when I ran out.ev
AND NOW:
Been taking morphine for probably about two, three months daily now it's one of the UK extended-release ones but I always just chew them,
Dose most of this time was 20mg per day and recently (last two, three weeks) been getting up to 20mg-50mg per day. I have a feeling that from were 20 was a lovely spot now 30 would be okay and not withdrawing. Been trying to reduce the dosage but Nah it won't work haha
It would be great to know to prepare myself mentally and stock up with appropriate helpers
When does withdrawal start for you guys?
How long before hits the worst?
How long is the worst?
What then?
How long before feeling okay?
And of course how bad it all is?

I really couldn't do absolutely anything while withdrawing from bupe and it makes me fear this one now

I’d book a week off work or anything at all really get some comfort meds if you can like Gabapentin which are a godsend in opiate withdrawal if you take the right amount and some benzo to take at night for sleep and you should be fine I’d say sub withdrawal would be much harder imo

+1 on the gabapentin recommendation. Seriously - take it correctly and it removes like 80% of my withdrawal symptoms. The first time I tried it I wrote it off as useless, as I just took handfuls of it and didn't feel anything. It wasn't till I read that you must take it with fat and that you can only absorb roughly the amount that's in a 300mg capsule at a time and then altered my dosing accordingly that I realized the benefits of it. I take one 300mg pill every 30-45 minutes with whole milk until I feel it kick in, which usually takes at least 90 minutes. Other substances that can help are clonidine and benzos for sleep (as long as you've never had a problem with them before! You don't want to replace morphine with a benzo habit!)

The timescale of morphine + codeine will probably be very similar, though the morphine may be more intense. You weren't on a very high dose though so that's in your favor - is it possible for you to reduce to 10mg a day before quitting? That will make it easier. Withdrawal for me takes about 24 hours to kick in, though other people report it happening a lot quicker. The worst for me is then day 3, with day 1 starting 24 hours after my last dose. Day 3 is fucking horrific but I think knowing that day is the worst it's going to get has in the past made me MUCH less likely to relapse on day 3 compared to day 2. Day 3 is easier since you know it won't get any worse than that, but day 2 was always pretty bad for me as well and knowing that I had the worst still ahead of me often weakened my resolve.

For me, at some point in late day 3 early day 4, I will literally feel the withdrawals hit a peak and then start to decline. Day 4 is unpleasant but I feel myself getting better, and usually by day 5 I'm free of like 95% of symptoms. However, some people report it taking a day or so longer, so don't take this as gospel. Your own experience with codeine withdrawal should be pretty similar in terms of duration.

It's really unpleasant, and doing cold turkey withdrawal without meds is fucking HORRIFIC. However, with the right medication it's bearable. It's just a five day battle against yourself, you just have to wait and relief will come. How motivated are you to stop??

Cannabis is nice too when in WD

I personally hated weed when I was in WD. It seemed to magnify every symptom and put a horrible psychedelic overlay onto the WD depression - but then again, I'm not a fan of it in normal circumstances either!

Hello! So do you still have access to morphine?

If you can 20mgs a day and feel fine, my advice would be to taper. Since you chew the pill, crush it up instead. If you have a scale great, if not it's okay. Slowly start removing a little powder at a time. With a scale id say weigh it and start with a 10% cut which makes 20 into 18. That shouldn't be bad at all. Take 18 for a few days. Then do 18 to 16 and a few days. You may be able to do 16 to 14 too! Then as you get lower, cut 1mg every few days and once that gets hard then half a mg and eventually a fourth if needed. Also, I said cut every few days but that's for the beginning. As you get closer to the end, it may be harder and you may need to wait a week or even two before cutting the dose.

Another thing you could do is take 180mg of codeine a day and make small cuts from that. With this, that's 6 Tylenol 3 so you can make a fourth of a cut of one pill and keep doing that. Also, since it's not an ER med you could let it dissolve in a certain amount of water (maybe 150 mL) and you can cut 15mL at first and do that for a few days and then maybe cut 22 mL and then 30 etc but you have so much flexibility.

Another thing you can do which I recommend as it is more monitored and more effective is see a suboxone doctor. 20mg morphine is not a lot and 1mg suboxone would give you worse withdrawals than 20mgs. But there is a med called Belbuca which has the same ingredients as suboxone. It is prescribed for pain and not addiction but given your small tolerance you could be put on like 75mcg once a day (which I think is 15mg morphine equivalent but due to long half life should be fine.) Then after a week or two or whenever you can go from the Belbuca to tramadol. Tramadol 50mgs is equivalent to 5mg morphine somehow. 3 tramadol a day, later 2.5, 2, 1.5, 1, 1/2 etc.

Or you could taper with Tramadol! 20mg is 4 Tramadol a day. A primary doc is usually willing to give tramadol. Just start making cuts. *NOTE: if you ever feel like relapsing, 400mg tramadol or more per day can cause seizures. In fact, some get seizures at even lower doses. Being on meds like Cymbalta and Tramadol is not recommended either. So never try to abuse it. Also it works on serotonin reuptake inhibition and and norprenorphine and this can really make you feel just off and brain fog.** **NOTE 2 - most people tolerate Tramadol well. It seems to be love or hate by consumers but stopping withdrawal, it will do.**

For awhile I was prescribed 4 hydro 10/325 a day and 4 Tylenol 4 with codeine (60mg per tab.) I abused the hydros but not the Tylenol 4 because I did have pain. Since I had gotten myself to a lower tolerance than I was once at, and I went from 4 Tylenol 4 to 3 for a week, then 4 Tylenol 3 for a week, then 4 tramadol, then 3 then 2 then 1. It actually worked. I was in so much pain though I reinstated. But no w/d symptoms. Then I got into a huge wreck and now I'm on oxycodone 20mg three a day (IR), a morphine 15mg IR at bedtime, and a Tylenol 4 for headaches primarily or mild but not moderate or severe pain.

If you don't have access to any opioids, gabapentin indeed is pretty helpful and most docs give it like candy. Benzodiazepines like Klonopin, Ativan, Valium, and Xanax are very helpful. I'd say Xanax is the most but doesn't last the longest. If you could get a 2 week script of Ativan or something at like 1mg twice a day or valium at 10mg twice a day or klonopin .5 twice a day or Xanax even .5 though maybe 3 times due to it not lasting long, that would help.

Hydroxyzine is known to help. Also clonidine is good for chest pains. I don't know why I cannot think of the nausea medication that is so common and you often take sublingual and I'm just having a blank moment but everyone knows what I'm talking about and that's critical. Bentyl is good for tummy aches and cramps. And of course Imodium for diarrhea.

20mg morphine is not much. I don't think it will be very hard to get off. You can get off with medication assistance whether opioids or a cocktail of other meds that help with the chest pains nausea etc, up to you.

Marijuana definitely helps.

Best of luck. If you cannot try tapering on your own, may need to see a doc. Remember you records cannot be shared to others without your permission so shall you later switch doctors, they don't have to know.

Good luck !

u guys think those tips apply to heroin detox? id rather than start a new thread