• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Morphine vs. Oxycodone (tolerance?)

Oxycodone is a form of codeine exempt comes under strong opioid all opioid strengths are compared to the strength of morphine however oxy has a longer half life 12hrs morphine unless modified release is 4hrs for back pain oxycodone is better than morphine table only time morphine is better is Im or iv (itermuscular or intravenous injection as the liver only allows 80% in your body when it breaks it down

I prefer oxycodone to morphine, if we're talking about them as recreational drugs.

Then again the only experience I have with morphine were the 60 mg MS Contin tablets, which pretty much suck if you take them orally (which I did). IV morphine is probably awesome.

Ok so I have read through this whole thread.I am prescribed 15 mg MS Contin twice daily and 5 mg three times a day oxycodone IR. So now I will have less pain relief as before I was prescribed 10 mg of OxyContin extended release plus the oxy IR 5 mg 3x day. correct?

Can someone help me? I have a prescription for MS Contin 60 mg. Someone told me yesterday that I would get more of an effect if I crushed it, then ate it. So I tried it this about 10:45am, and I noticed a little energy for about a hour, a hour after I took it. I did it again around 3pm, and i didn't notice anything. It is now 7:25pm and I have been looking at all sorts of threads looking for the best way to take away my pain using this drug. I thing I have found it, but I am scared of taking another 60mg. I have been on MS Contin for 3 months, and oxycodone for 4 years. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Welcome to bluelight Madamplay69.

I must say that if you have received a prescription for MS Contin 60 mg you should use it as prescribed meaning the right dose taken orally and follow the instructions so that you don't take more. When you crush them, it will change how the medication releases it to your bloodstream, probably making them last less time than it was originally meant to.

So if you are in pain you'll need to take more and more gradually. And by doing that you'll be create a tolerance which will make you need more than what you have been prescribed.

If you are in pain and need the medication to make you feel better I suggest you take as prescribed. The oral bio availability is pretty stable IMO/E. I wouldn't want to have an additional problem. Just take as prescribed.

The Morphine 60 mg is also time release and it's similar to MS Contin.
Beforehand people would easily break the time release with the older pills from the previous generations.

But these ones are made not to release them instantly so at the end if you crush it you may lose some of it. Still change a little its time release not by much though.
Everyone is different, if you are not addicted to these pills and believe they can help you with the pains, it's a good medication imo/e.

Good luck!
Erik

Last edited:
I'm use to taking 30mg oxycodone with it, but my prescription was stolen for the first time in 4 years. I go back to my pain clinic on the 29th, and I don't do drugs recreationally, but I'm so out of my head in pain this week that I don't know what to do. But thanks for the advise.

I just took 20mg of hydromorphone 15mg Dexedrine a bowl of kush and a beer and Im starting to feel pretty sick anyone know if this is because I mixed drugs? Will it pass because I gotta do some important shit and I can't be puking right now

all morphine does to my body is cause like a heavy body ache. oxy makes me feel good and takes away pain. can anyone tell me why that is? it's happened more than once after my csection by IV then again orally I took 8 I don't know what mg morphine that my daughter in law gave me cause I was wding from either long use Vicodin or oxycodone. I've been searching the net and I cant find a reason. the two are always just lumped together/.
Karen

Oral morphine has a typically low, and unreliable BA%. And some people just really like oxy for some reason

There are other factors, PO Morphine is actually more potent with chronic use, on the other hand oxy has more MOA's

In the end everyone is different, and you were not even sure what mg you took.

If the doses were equivalent it may be different(remember H is simply a rapid and effective pro-drug for morphine)

Kmam, one big difference: you got morphine right after surgeons cut into your abdomen to give you a baby. Another time, during withdrawals from a different opiate. Neither of those are moments when you expect to feel great, even with potent drugs. I have a feeling if the drugs were switched, you'd have the same outcome.

Dufferent pharmacokinetics probably matter less to subjective sensations when you factor in cortisol and adrenaline, sleep loss, all the emotional baggage of w/ds.

And Lorne, are you saying Oxycodone has more mechanisms of actions than morphine, which has reverse tolerance when taken orally? Maybe, but do you have some details to go with it?

^ Meant Methods of Administration

She implies has a habit/chronic use of oxycodone,or something that isn't Morphine. You can snort oxy, and, although rectal isn't what people think(it generally delays the onset of Oxycodone, longer Tmax and such, yet provides a longer duration; studies back this up) however it has a higher BA%. Do not remember offhand yet am pretty sure it is around the same as oral.

And Morphine is more potent with chronic oral use; high doses can also increase BA%. It is the same with oral diamorphine, which can reach 50-70% with chronic use of higher doses.

Just covering the bases, though you are right about surgery, true pain makes opioids more like the strong analgesics they are. Although, in deep wd, a GOOD DOSE of morphine should have someone feeling great, as with most opioids. Though it may have just been enough to alleviate wd, as dosage is unknown, although 8 mscontin 15mg wouldn't be that strong compared to a decent oxyhabit.

Oxycodone does effect the Kappa receptor as am sure you know, however don't think this is the reason for it's popularity.

According to literature, chronic oral morphine is about twice as potent, though don't have enough experience with it to say; oral Morphine simply didn't cut it.

Was just dissecting the issue, as Morphine was/is far superiority Oxycodone in my opinion, though again, you're explanation in this case makes sense

I have been prescribed 10 mg and 20 mg Oxycodone IR tablets in the past along with Morphine oral lozenges (don't know if you would call them by that name but anyways...) which contain a solution of 10mg/5ml of liquid Morphine, which I have been prescriped for breakthrough pain 5x daily. I still get those 5 x daily prescripted as they seem to have been completely forgotten about them somehow... 8). Now I'm getting a mix of these prescriped along with 20 mg / 40 / 80 mg OxyContins and 10/ 20 / 40 mg Opana ER's. I like to use the 50 mg of liquid oral Morphine solution when I go to sleep together with some Oxycodone / Oxymorphone which I have left from the day so I won't end up getting awake during the night / in the late moning begin all dopesick and shit... so here's iss my question: I know oral Morphine has a BioAvailabily about 30-40%, but does this oral solution has anymore oral BA? Thanks in advantage for the replies ppl. :)

-- Peace o/

I have been prescribed 10 mg and 20 mg Oxycodone IR tablets in the past along with Morphine oral lozenges (don't know if you would call them by that name but anyways...) which contain a solution of 10mg/5ml of liquid Morphine, which I have been prescriped for breakthrough pain 5x daily. I still get those 5 x daily prescripted as they seem to have been completely forgotten about them somehow... 8). Now I'm getting a mix of these prescriped along with 20 mg / 40 / 80 mg OxyContins and 10/ 20 / 40 mg Opana ER's. I like to use the 50 mg of liquid oral Morphine solution when I go to sleep together with some Oxycodone / Oxymorphone which I have left from the day so I won't end up getting awake during the night / in the late moning begin all dopesick and shit... so here's iss my question: I know oral Morphine has a BioAvailabily about 30-40%, but does this oral solution has anymore oral BA? Thanks in advantage for the replies ppl. :)

-- Peace o/

Can you just reiterate what you're asking again exactly please mate? Are these lozenge things not taken orally? It's just a lozenge is something you suck on and is absorbed sublingually through the membranes inside your mouth and that doesn't sound right somehow...I've never heard of morphine being taken like that.

What exactly do you do with these lozenges?

^ He seems to be just talking about liquid morphine, 2mg/ml;

And no, liquid morphine would not have improved BA% on it’s own; however it may have a slightly faster onset

^ He seems to be just talking about liquid morphine, 2mg/ml;

And no, liquid morphine would not have improved BA% on it’s own; however it may have a slightly faster onset

That's what do though but just seemed odd that he called it a lozenge and was asking if it was different to oral???

Oramoroh is 2mg/ml liquid but in a big bottle and (obviously) for taking orally.

Reading it again it does indeed look like he means oramoroh and the word lozenge is a red-herring lol.

But yeah....same oral BA (which could be as low as 20% or as high as 50% depending on the person) but faster onset than an extended release tablet coupled with a shorter duration if action (4-6 hours)

Yes was talking about OraMorph liquid 2mg/ml thingys which look a lot like needles but with sidewings on them and a cap you'll have to twist off first before taking them orally, so sorry for the unclear posting, I might be a lucky one since I think about iI get about 50%ish BA from them which seems the high you can get from them taking them orally. :)

-- Peace o/

^ Ba is dose dependent somewhat and again increases w/ chronic use

Have fun, be safe

To be pedantic for future pharm techs out there, a lozenge would not technically be "oral" or PO, it's buccal or sublingual (unless you eat it). Different kinetics, for when that matters, like when the FDA asks.

Yeah I know what they are.. It's a plastic ampule with a twist off lid that looks similar in appearance to the 5 and 10ml plastic saline ampules used for IV flush....single dose.

They come in several different strengths ranging from 2mg/ml up to 10mg/ml. They aren't prescribed very often as it's much cheaper just to prescribe a large 100 or 300ml bottle.

They're not connected to lozenges in anyway....not sure where that came from..

Hope all this helps.

I'll find the post but Morphine was described as being a very poor choice for sublingual absorption. I think it was due to it being not very lipid soluble but I'll find the rest.