• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Morphine Extraction Ruined?

TuffThong

Greenlighter
Someone who may or may not be known to anyone started an A/B morphine extraction and got as far as adding KOH to remove fats from the solution. Sufficient filtration of the fats wasnt achieved, and had to be left for a couple months. The person in question returned to find white mould floating on top of the solution. Can the mould be filtered out with the fats and continue as planned, or is this now a bum project?

Since you are talking about mold and fats I'm assuming you are talking about an extraction on some part of the poppy plant. I wouldn't touch anything with mold already growing in it, you shouldn't have left it for months. MAYBE lots of alcohol and heat will kill all bacteria and mold in there but I wouldn't risk it, just chalk it up to a failed experiment.

The issue is mold will create metabolites of its own respiration. These metabolites can be toxic for humans depending on the species of mold that you have growing in your medium. Look at it like this a lot of stuff vies for control of the substrate. If you were the mold you dont have arms to fight people off so you use metabolites it is molds way of fighting off things that want to eat its food in a sense.

I would toss the whole thing because once mold sets in, if it is unidentifiable especially, it is considered contaminated and not safe for consumption. Even if you were to run a variety of procedures designed to prevent ingestion it is just not worth the possible risks associated with it.

don't do the SWIM thing
it is highly unappreciated here

edit OP, get better responses
(but szuko already gave a good one)

Last edited by a moderator:
don't do the SWIM thing

Lol edited rather then qutoed my bad! Shit and i delted part of your original response god dman it fucked up sorry about that brother :( But yeah didnt even catch it because he typed it out long form lol

Lol edited rather then qutoed my bad! Shit and i delted part of your original response god dman it fucked up sorry about that brother :( But yeah didnt even catch it because he typed it out long form lol

I offered to provide him with a good answer if he changed the OP lol.
And then you provided him with a good answer
so I edited my post to say nevermind szuko gave you a good answer
ninja editing superpowers ftw

ninja editing superpowers ftw

For real... its even splashing over into other peoples posts now. My life is an edit button.

But i like your style of asking them to edit the posts and then giving the info up. I think thats a better way then changing and chastising

don't do the SWIM thing

edit OP, get better responses
(but szuko already gave a good one)

Ill bare that in mind next time..

The issue is mold will create metabolites of its own respiration. These metabolites can be toxic for humans depending on the species of mold that you have growing in your medium. Look at it like this a lot of stuff vies for control of the substrate. If you were the mold you dont have arms to fight people off so you use metabolites it is molds way of fighting off things that want to eat its food in a sense.

I would toss the whole thing because once mold sets in, if it is unidentifiable especially, it is considered contaminated and not safe for consumption. Even if you were to run a variety of procedures designed to prevent ingestion it is just not worth the possible risks associated with it.

Was stored in a fresh DH2O container in a relatively cool place and has yet gone through its final heating process. If its just water mould would that change anything for you?
I dont intend to come across as reckless, just looking at my options because it would be a bugger to throw it all away.

Sticking by what I said originally. If you want to proceed you can however, you will always find the consensus to be "do not ingest unknown molds" there can be hundreds of subspecies or what have you that can occupy the same space. Mold and infection do kill people, ingesting via an oral route will provide some resistance but you are asking this question:

Is the relative risk of ingesting strange molds worth the reward of a possible successful morphine extraction? Among sane individuals the will (most likely) say that it is not worth the risks.

That doesnt mean if you go "szuko i hate you and think your wrong!" I will show up and cut your arms off so you cant proceed ;) Its the simple fact that even pills can contain compounds that can facilitate mold growth in a liquid medium, way to many variables for me to change my stance on the matter.

Sticking by what I said originally. If you want to proceed you can however, you will always find the consensus to be "do not ingest unknown molds" there can be hundreds of subspecies or what have you that can occupy the same space. Mold and infection do kill people, ingesting via an oral route will provide some resistance but you are asking this question:

Is the relative risk of ingesting strange molds worth the reward of a possible successful morphine extraction? Among sane individuals the will (most likely) say that it is not worth the risks.

That doesnt mean if you go "szuko i hate you and think your wrong!" I will show up and cut your arms off so you cant proceed ;) Its the simple fact that even pills can contain compounds that can facilitate mold growth in a liquid medium, way to many variables for me to change my stance on the matter.

Yeah I totally see where your coming from..
Just, god dam...

Appreciate your advice!

mould should not be growing in KOH solutions

also morphine will form potassium morphenate (salt) in strongly alkaline solutions if you don't pay close attention to pH