• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Morphine ER

quietcowgirl

Greenlighter
I?m used to taking 30mg oxy at a time but a friend gave me an extended release morphine 60mg. If I break it in half will it be close to what I normally take or too potant? It says RD 72 on it
I’m not sure about the equivalence of morphine to oxy in mg

Oral morphine is generally weaker than oral oxy, that being said it's a bit more complicated then that. People tolerate different opiates in different ways, morphine makes me feel sick even though the dosages i've tries are way below my tolerance level, i usually take hydrocodone and have no problems.

So you should start with 30mg of morphine even though that would technically be equivalent to 20mg of oxy.

Thank you, I ended up breaking it as close to half as I could and taking the smaller piece; so probably not quite 30mg but I don’t feel it much so next time I’ll try the slightly larger piece. Would you say every 12 hours is safe?

Generally speaking, your dose of Oxycodone is going to be two thirds of your dosage of Morphine if both are taken by the oral route. Falsified is definitely right in that this is not information you can take to the bank, but it's definitely the place to start. In case you're extremely ungifted in Mathematics like yours truly, this entails 1.5mg of Morphine for every 1mg of Oxycodone. Given your reaction, I would say that your experience is pretty "normal" or "average", so I don't think we need to dive into enzymatic issues and all that nonsense.

In the future OP, for your own benefit, please be aware that there is a wide variety of tools available to you through the internet to help you devise the correct dosage equivalents. They have calculators, charts and many of them have nifty functions like accounting for Cross-Tolerance and/or co-administration of Opioids and Benzodiazepines like this one, which I typically use when needed.

https://www.oregonpainguidance.org/opioidmedcalculator/

So take they stethoscope and walk my man. The knowledge is now in your hands :)

Yeah you should be fine taking it every 12 hours but obviously for the best effects wait as long as you can. You can try 45mg of morphine next time, breaking the pill in any other way than 1/2's and 1/4's is going to be unreliable.