• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Morphine causing serotonin syndrome?

Novocaine

Greenlighter
So when I'm on a drug binge I take Tramadol, Chlorpheniramine and Fluoxetine (prescribed SSRI) - I am aware these three drugs have an effect on serotonin, and I would be at risk of serotonin syndrome, but lately I keep seeing that Morphine also has serotonin altering properties? I haven't heard of this. I just thought it was only Tramadol that can cause issues when mixed with SSRI's. So what do you guys think?

If you're taking Tramadol and Fluoxetine at the stated dosage by your Doctor. You should be fine, but if you're abusing Tramadol and taking 200mg+ in one go then SS is a risk. Even taking Tramadol alone at the stated dose can give you SS.

So mixing SSRI's with Tramadol which effect the Serotonin levels in your brain can obviously cause negative effects.

Tramadol is known to be a serotonin reuptake inhibitor, so combining this with SSRIs will lead to too much serotonin and SS. As far as the morphine and its close cousins like hydro and oxy, I took those for years while on high doses of an SSRI and Remeron (a serotonin replacement drug) and never noticed any serotonin syndrome.