• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Morning Glory Seeds From Home Depot Are a Good Proxy for LSD (Until You Vomit)

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member

Morning Glory Seeds From Home Depot Are a Good Proxy for LSD (Until You Vomit)

Yasmin Tayag
May 11, 2016

ast week, a Boston teenager was hospitalized after getting too high off plant seeds from a local Home Depot, prompting the store to pull the product from their shelves. One could argue that the kid deserves at least a little credit for his botanical acumen: Morning Glory, Hawaiian Baby Woodrose, and Sleepy Grass seeds contain a hallucinogenic compound that’s been getting humans lit for thousands of years. The desperate masshole was simply following in the footsteps of chemists past, including LSD discoverer Albert Hofmann, a seed-eater himself.

But even budding chemists have to be careful. While it’s true the drug can induce acid-like hallucinations, it can also trigger serious nausea, stomach pains, and vomiting. It’s especially dangerous, researchers at Ohio University note, if you’re on MAOI-containing antidepressants, which — teenagers being teenagers — makes it very dangerous indeed.

When Hofmann analyzed a packet of Mexican morning glory seeds given to him by a colleague in 1959, he noted that they contained a compound known as LSA (D-lysergic acid amide), a precursor chemical to the better-known hallucinogen LSD — hence, the seeds’ psychoactive effects. Hoffman’s colleague had sent him the seeds after seeing them used by in a shamanistic ceremony, a practice that has persisted in certain native Central American cultures for generations.

As police officials in the Boston incident pointed out, “this is not a new phenomenon.” The Drug Enforcement Administration formally recognizes ergine — another name for LSA — as a Schedule III drug, having “moderate to low potential for physical and psychological dependence.” This classification puts LSA in the same class as codeine, ketamine, and anabolic steroids. For unknown reasons, it’s just much easier acquire.

This is especially odd, considering how potent the compound’s effects can be. The drug gurus at Erowid note that although LSA is legally considered a depressant, it’s notably also “a very active hallucinogen/psychedelic.” It’s thought to be somewhere between one-tenth and one-twentieth as powerful as LSD, but because the dose of the compound present in plant seeds varies, it’s easy to overdo it. Erowid notes that a “starting dose” is typically 4-5 Hawaiian baby woodrose seeds or 20-25 morning glory seeds (seasoned recreational users take anywhere from 100-400 of the latter). Some users distill LSA out of the seeds using solvents such as methanol, ether, and dicholoromethane — potentially dangerous chemicals that can compound the drug’s effects.

On BlueLight, a web forum dedicated to discussing controlled drugs, one user recounted eating eight Hawaiian baby woodrose seeds with alcohol, an experience that landed him in the hospital. Other users, praising the compound’s “dreamy” and “euphoric” psychedelic effects, note that it’s often not worth it to take because the LSA hangover is so terrible. While LSD is known to put users in a psychedelic headspace and induce a visual trip, LSA, it seems, triggers the same mental state but tends to make users nauseous.

cont https://www.inverse.com/article/155...epot-are-a-good-proxy-for-lsd-until-you-vomit

Some users distill LSA out of the seeds using solvents such as methanol, ether, and dicholoromethane — potentially dangerous chemicals that can compound the drug’s effects.

That phase definitely shows the authors understanding of drugs and chemistry...

Also why is it when someone needs to quote bluelight (and others) they use it to confirm their own opinion? Surely there are more people and reports of people taking the seeds and having fun.

have you had LSA before? my guess would have been that positive experiences aren't the norm, based on my HBWR seed trip.

i mean it is relatively available and yet nobody rly gets excited about morning glory or HBWR unless they have no access to anything else and just want to escape, at least that would be the majority of ppl in my estimation.

have you had LSA before? my guess would have been that positive experiences aren't the norm, based on my HBWR seed trip.

i mean it is relatively available and yet nobody rly gets excited about morning glory or HBWR unless they have no access to anything else and just want to escape, at least that would be the majority of ppl in my estimation.

Oh yeah at least 10 times in high school, some before concerts some after school, all of which were great. I found that smoking weed actually removed all of the nausea. I didnt realize it was common to have a negative experience the 3 other people i introduced all had a great time and went on to do more... This was in 2004/5 if that makes a difference.

I mean i wouldnt consider it anymore at all but back then that was like my go to for months, i tripped off seeds like twice a month, even eating them in my last period classes (gross)

A good LSA extraction is a good thing to have kicking around. Most people who would dig it do not give it any consideration because it is in plant form. I love blowing peoples minds with plants. It opens a new door for them.

Chewing on the seeds themselves? Nothing quite like hallucinations coupled with nausea...

To some indigenous mexican tribes, morning glory is actually considered more sacred than peyote or shrooms. The reason that these seeds aren't that popular is because only fresh seeds are actually psychedelic. The active compound isn't LSA, it's LSH, wich converts into LSA over time. When seeds contain mostly LSA, they're no longer very psychedelic.

I always thought they put some kind of coating on the seeds to make you sick...I forget where I read that, but for some reason I remember that and having to wash them off really well.

Hey Mysterie, are u still micro dosing LSD? How is that going for you?

I always thought they put some kind of coating on the seeds to make you sick...I forget where I read that, but for some reason I remember that and having to wash them off really well.
I read that too back in 2006 when I was really into phychadelics

In my past experiences the levels of nausea that i encountered remained the same if i washed them or not. I think its all the harsh seeds you have to ingest in order to trip its like 7-10g of seeds or something and thats a good amount of gross tasting seeds to have sitting in ones stomach.

Hey Mysterie, are u still micro dosing LSD? How is that going for you?
i stopped a while ago, just lost interest a bit. the effect is subtle and really, i think daily meditation practice does all i want microdosing to do and more, just needs work to create new habits.
[MENTION=289844]manboychef[/MENTION]
i would put a 100ug tab of lsd in 500ml of distilled water and then drink abt 50ml every morning= 10ug, peoples best dose varies tho. do abt 2 weeks everyday and then break for 2 weeks. its an interesting area, but i had a hunch that my mental game is already a bit too unstable to integrate some psych insights well.

i think daily meditation practice does all i want microdosing to do and more
How long do you meditate? Ive been trying and can only hold my aching neck up for a minute or two. I have tried laying down with feet up the wall...

How long do you meditate? Ive been trying and can only hold my aching neck up for a minute or two. I have tried laying down with feet up the wall...

if i haven't done it for a while, i'll set the timer for 10 mins. otherwise up to 30mins

if i haven't done it for a while, i'll set the timer for 10 mins. otherwise up to 30mins
Wow, 30 minutes? I went to a buddhist session where we sat for 30 minutes. I can only stay with it that long with others around :)

I never tried Morning Glory seeds as I was told and read online that the ones you buy in a store have chemicals sprayed on them that are not good to ingest, and that will make you sick.

Plus when I was into tripping and psychedelics I had access to LSD, excellent cannabis, and mushrooms.

Last edited:
I do guided meditation, and mindful meditation. It is so much better for my anxiety than benzos are. Sometimes it is just a chance to stop my thoughts for a minute or two. Psychedelics are a great tool as well.

Last edited: