• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

More Specific Questions on Speedballs

damn, rachamim, i thought I was old, but you must be 100. 20 years speedballin', 15 years on methadone and god knows how many years you were a kid.

:)

speedballs are the russian roulette of drug use. you may never die, or you might die your first time out. just know that you are taking that risk every single time you give it a go.

Ha...

Although it was only half sarcastic I'll take the bait: I am 37. I was born in 67. I first did heroin in 80 or 81, first injected it in 83. I started on cocaine the year before I started on heroin. I started on methadone in 94 but like most on, it continued to use sporadically. It's almost 2005...and there you have the" timeline of a dope fiend."

The last sentence in NaturalOne's post is right on.

you guys are having so much fun i wanted to chime in! i like what headsup said about having two friends do the injection for you. my first speedball was chinese new years, 1991. right after the dead shows in oakland, i spent the whole day having a friend shoot me up with speedballs.( i remember being surprised that there was so much heroin in the dead scene, not just pot and acid.) there really is something to be said for having other people do the injecting.
i think the speedballs are so fun because you know how risky it is. i put it up there with skydiving in terms of excitement. as far as dosing goes, i always used my normal amount of each that i would use for either individually. but like i said before, it seems that in my junkie group, usually you would do one speed ball and then a shot of just coke every 20 minutes or so. the h lasts.

Last edited:
Thanks, toolazy2think also has my question perfectly understood. So just 1:1 eh....

Why is it considered such a russian roulette? If you can take normal dosages then it shouldnt be in the speedball thats dangerous, but maybe what youd do on the speedball (like redosing).

If it IS a russian roulette, that means the two are synergestic in danger factors....?

Boy do I love the argument on which lingo is correct. Over here, I reconise along with everyone I know, a speedball as a stimlant done with a downer. Heroin and cocaine most well known.

Hell, even smoking a cig while having a beer is a speedball to our definition. Not something we usually reference though.

What makes my definition more correct than any other one? It's a slang term similar to how "meth" or "ice" is in areas. No particular group is correct.

More to say [suprise!]...

Neuron hit it on the head. For example, if you regularly take 70 mgs. of Valium and have no negative experiences, it's safe. If you regularly drink half a pint of 80 proof rum than that rum is considered safe. Take the 2 together and you enter an unknown area. It's like the Chem 101 trick. You take 2 substances that sare incredibly corrosive by themselves but when combined with each other they very simply produce water. It can go either way. With this paticular combo [cocaine and heroin] you have the benefit of those that have gone before you. It will not always kill but it IS a crap shoot. If they were here, you could ask John Belushi, Chris Farley, and River Phoenix [among others].

I realize it is very dangerous, and speedballs are much more dangerous then either alone at relative dose ranges. But, I stated the question towards rachachim18, who, said

If you insist on doing it, it is not going to have a synergistic effect and kill you

According to this statement, people who've died on speedballs died from an overdose of one chemical that they wouldve died if they IVd the same amount of coke or H by itself. So, Belushi/Farley/Person died because he had X mg. too much of H (or coke) in his rig that his body could handle. Meaning, the other chemical was completely irrelevant to their death.

Or, coke and H both at the same time DO have synergistic dangerous effects... This would make rachachim18 wrong or I misunderstood/misinterpretated his statement.

OR, these people died because of what they did under the influence of a speedball, such as redosing thinking they needed more when their body was very near their limit, but they did not feel so because this pushing the envelope feeling was masked.

But my questions on the dangers of speedballs refers to speedballs themselves, and not what you do while on them.

more hair splitting...

My quoted answer was simply addressing whether or not the dosages would in them self present a risk. The answer is no. A person does not overdose from taking 2 doses that would have otherwise been fine [by themselves]. The main problem with "speed balls" is the change in heart rythym. This is due to both classes of drugs being consumed together, not because of the amount of drugs consumed.

You are wrong about my statement concerning Belushi, etc. They all died taking [according to published reports] doses that they had taken before without a hitch. It was the consumption of the 2 together that caused their demise.

I see. Well thats obvious rachachim. Of course using 100% or less of your normal dose of a drug will not kill you. It was assumed that you didnt use any higher than 100% of either drug (C or H) for a speedball.

My speedball experiences are just with coke and H, and I usually use a 1:1 ratio, or slightly less coke. The affects of the coke seemd to be prolonged by the H, and I iv of course.

thanks, good reply Dicetylmorphine. And to everyone else who replied.

What occurs when more H is used / less coke used, or more coke is used / less H is used?

naturalone said:

speedballs are the russian roulette of drug use. you may never die, or you might die your first time out. just know that you are taking that risk every single time you give it a go.

Very well said, and true. I agree with the original poster, that a true speedball is coke and smack loaded into the same rig. This is my prefered way of doing a speedball for obvious reasons. However, for those that do not IV drugs, snorting a semi-large dose of heroin (depend on user's tolerance), and directly insuflating a large rail of cocaine (~300mg) can be a quite pleasurable 'speedball'. Its not exactly the best way, or correct way...but it definitely does the trick. This is important, because some people refuse to use needles, or are truely scared of injections...and they deserve to feel the graces of a speedball if they so desire. Speedball...the ultimate high, with an ultimate price to pay.

And for the user saying that he won't IV cocaine, but would IV opiates...thats weird. Cocaine is almost MEANT to be IV'ed. You'll know what i mean once you try it. IV cocaine is so clean and blissful...an amazing high. 8o

Cocaine is definately meant to be IVed. You can't get fucked up on snorting coke; at most your body feels overloaded which is a fucked up feeling. But thats alot different than fucked up. Intoxication might be a good word to use. Its like sipping bear or taking shots of everclear. Sipping coffee to rolling face. You'll never get fucked up from sipping beer or coffee.

Heroin seems to be a IV drug completely as well. You could use 20 times the amount you IV, smoke it, and not feel near as high, nor last as long. Both coke and H use extremely relatively small doses to IV, feel much stronger, linger on longer, and the way to really experience the drug.

"Speedball...the ultimate high, with an ultimate price to pay."

If that's the case, snorting the substances can't be a speedball. Certainly, IV method would be much more "ultimate" of a high, though a higher price could be paid. If you don't take the risk you don't get the high, and it shouldn't be considered a speedball.

Maybe you'd call it a slowball.

Isn't this same setup (IV Coke and H) also called a snowball? Didn't they call it a snowball in Eyes Wide Shut?