• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

More about Memantine

2omg memantine oral paired with kratom was motivating, positive, and blissful

Fyi: there is a typo in the original post. Methionine is ineffective for urine acidification. Should read: Methenamine.
Thank you very much, I will edit accordingly.

EDIT: Please double check your statement and my corrections, they're marked red. Apparently the quoted content says Methionine IS effective for this purpose, while you said it is NOT.

I'm very interested in this. It sounds like it has more of a therapeutic index than other NMDA antagonists, or so I've picked up. A functional NMDA antagonist would be brilliant for me.

Hello. I'm new on the forum.

I am 24 years old and started to take MEMANTINE a week ago (prescribed by a doctor).

Can someone point me to the topic where people discuss about experiences? I did not find it, and i don't want to start a new one.

Thanks

Are you serious? You just posted in it... Sounds stupid to me, but whatever floats your boat.

May I ask for what condition you got the memantine scripted? Did you specifically ask for it?

I discovered it by coincidence, cause low-dosed dissociatives have an unique antidepressant, motivating and mood-stabilizing effect on me and I wanted to know how it worked… then I was amazed to see that a "dissociative" is actually available by regular prescription, even though it was very expensive back then and I had to acquire it from India. So I found out that memantine isn't really dissociative, one may feel distant and numb when dosing too high but it's really a medicine and not a recreational drug. A few have tried it (see the quote in this threads first post) and it's not fun but a way to have a very valuable substance scheduled.
For me its a good 'neutral' (vs. 'depressing' ones like the anti-manics) mood stabilizer, anxiolytic and synergetic with methylphenidate (much less rebound, tolerance, side effects in general).

I'm now the third year on it and notice no real side effects, recent bloodwork showed nothing unusual too. But I feel that taking memantine alone is a waste, and it made me probably a bit lethargic even when I did not realize it. Where it really shines is combined with methylphenidate.

And opioids. While I somewhat decided that opioids don't work as expected for me (continuous use makes me anxious and depressed, which led to combined stim use until I realized that with only the stim and memantine I feel better…), it still amazes me how on memantine there is few tolerance at all, and withdrawal was repeatedly completely painless even with very few tapering, due to the lack of tolerance my doses weren't escalated but still- from an experience with naloxone I know what people usually go through.. After the opioids had been flushed out, I realized to actually enjoy to be sober and feel the dopamine again. No cravings at all. I can and do still use low-potency opioids from time to time to relax, as they don't shut me down like benzodiazepines would. But when available, I prefer ketamine to any opioid… (btw, I have combined memantine with most of the dissociatives and quite a few other drugs, it appears to have no bad interactions, but take this with a grain of salt.)

In NSPD some warn about possible long-term consequences, afaik it's still debated if and how the NMDA receptors react to continuous blockade. But from all what I've read yet, memantine appears to be quite safe as it has a low affinity and does not block the NMDA pathway completely in therapeutic dosages.

@dopamimetic

If you experienced precipitated withdrawal from Naloxone it has nothing to do with true opiate withdrawal which would be less painful.

However if you are still opiate naive, I am not sure if you can experiment precipitated withdrawal (maybe someone else can confirm or infirm that).

As for opiate and Memantine I personally have use it sporadically to help with opiate tapering (always at 20 mg dose) and it did help. But it is not the magical exceptional thing some leads you to believe.

Maybe it works very well to delay or negate the onset of tolerance, that I wouldn't know.

But after trying Agmatine and Proglumide, I still have to say Memantine was what worked best to help (a bit) with the tapering of opiate.

I just bought some Memantine pills from a Pharmacy and going to take around 80mg of it right now to see if this drug is really able to reserve Amphetamine tolerance. Plus I hope I get some desirable effect from it...

I feel completely disconnected from my own body when I'm high on dissociactives, as you know they disrupt the actions of brains chemical glutamate at certain types of receptors (otherwise known as NMDA receptors) on nerve cells throughout the brain. I think you are already aware of glutamate's role in cognition, emotion and the reception of pain. Most dissociactive drugs alter the action of dopamine. They produce visual and auditory distortions and a sense of floating and dissociation, That's why I feel completely detached from reality when I'm high on them.