• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Mood issues and substance use sticking plasters?

Bleaney

Bluelighter
To open by stating the blindingly obvious, I'm sure many people here take substances primarily to improve their subjective feelings of wellbeing. Myself included.

Do most people find that this only works up to a point and then after prolonged indulgence of days, weeks, months, or years, it no longer works for w/e reason. And things gradually turn from using to improve your mood, which was already OK, to using to improve your mood which is more often not so OK. Ie using more just to feel normal to some extent.

It's a very familiar story isnt it.

It's like the various brain receptors are sending a message along the lines of "fuck you man" we need a re-set. Give us a break.

It's the age old dilema though of instant gratification versus defered gratification. Who wants to abstain for days, weeks, a couple of months, the longer the better, even though knowing in all likelyhood a more natural equilibrium, harmony, and inner peace will be restored if I was to take the time and patience to do that. I know Id feel good about myself for even doing that, so that would be a win right out the blocks. Some people can do it through sheer strength of mind and willpower, but there is an easier way, all you need is a plan and a method. Otherwise it's a tall order in many cases (including mine.)

I used to have a method that worked really well for me over the last several years in that I have an unbreakable safe (short of using heavy duty tools like angle grinders or those red hot welding tools that slice through metal. There's no way I'm going to acquire that kind of hardware though.) Previously I could keep my stash in there, lock it shut, and simply leave the keys for it in my draw pack at work at the end of the day or week. Meaning that there woukd be no way to get at my stash, no need to rely on willpower, and problem solved. Any time I felt I needed to take a break I'd leave the keys at work and I had to way of giving in to temptation of an evening or weekend etc. This really worked so well and solved the issue amazingly well for me.

However currently I have no permanent workstation or draw pack or locker or anything like that at my work place, so that's not an option right now. I'm looking for another similar but effective hack to make it easier to stick to abstienence without having to rely on will power alone. It's so easy to dive into any number of a multitude of subtstances knowing that in 20 minutes or so that state of mind that is not such a nice place to be residing in, will suddenly be a whole lot more pleasant.

I know using is only a short term sticking plaster and I need to face up to and address the underlying issues and rediscover the positivity and resilience that I'd been working so hard to develop and build up over recent years. It's easier just to take substances though. In the grand scheme of things things my using is at quite a minor level for me right now, but things are escalating, and I would still like to achieve greater control while this is the case.

Maybe this thread would be better in the recovery section, but I'd like to try EADD first as you are the people that I know.

Last edited: