• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Money over Career?

Pretty_Diamonds

Bluelight Crew
Everyone knows with a degree you need experience. Right?

So when do you reach a point where you're trying so hard to get experience (obviously starting from the bottom) till you realize that you're sinking financially and can't continue to pay for your education?

I guess I'm at that crossroad. Just started a masters program. $15,500 per semester (4 months).
Went from retail jobs that paid me $5,000 - 3,000 to... $1,000 each month (working in psychology-ABA therapy). When are you like, okay, this isn't worth it? EVEN THOUGH, it's also a more rewarding job (children and all).

Like, I had to take out a loan...

It really sucks in that field - its a problem across nearly the entire field, at least until/unless you can get licensed as an LCSW. I wish I had good news for you, but even the MS doesn't help much until the LCSW. My wife's last job before she bailed on the field entirely paid $12/hr and she had an MS and worked for about 3 years, all in master's-level counselor jobs before it.

I've met quite a few people with degrees who can't find work. A good friend of mine is an engineer who works in a coffee shop.

It's the state of the economy + the globalists who are outsourcing all of the work to other countries.

When I first started working in the career I'm currently in, I had to get an irrelevant part time job to make ends meet. The key is that when you apply for these nothing jobs, don't tell them about your education because they will perceive you as someone who will jump ship as soon as better work appears.

Schools are a business and their marketing degrees they make them seem like a road to prosperity but like to hide the fact that most people never find a job in that field.

I know tons of people with very expensive degrees working in fields that have nothing to do with them because they could not find a job with it.

What field are you getting a masters in? Grad school is all about networking.

unfortunately, a shitty-paying low-level job in your field of interest is kind of a requirement for an employable graduate degree. you may have to accept that the loans are a necessary evil if you're really committed to working in the field.

I've met quite a few people with degrees who can't find work. A good friend of mine is an engineer who works in a coffee shop.

It's the state of the economy + the globalists who are outsourcing all of the work to other countries.

When I first started working in the career I'm currently in, I had to get an irrelevant part time job to make ends meet. The key is that when you apply for these nothing jobs, don't tell them about your education because they will perceive you as someone who will jump ship as soon as better work appears.
I think this is the major key. I was told my an amazing company that they don't want me because I'm in the masters program. :( I wonder if I should I call them and be like, I quit school but I'm only available certain times and certain days? o_O..???
What field are you getting a masters in? Grad school is all about networking.
Clinical Psychology...
I think first you complete your degree after that you can start your jobs and earn money if you start jobs in degree time you can't concentrate on your study and surely your performance down so firstly complete your study
You obviously don't know how expensive school is.