News Monday, Oct 10 is World Mental Health Day

Jerry Atrick

Bluelight Crew
First celebrated in 1992, World Mental Health Day raises awareness and decreases the stigma around mental health issues. Exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic, in 2020, 1 in 5 U.S. adults experienced mental illness, and more than 12 million adults had serious thoughts of suicide, according to NAMI, the National Alliance of Mental Illness.

As access to mental health care is a continual challenge, especially for the uninsured and BIPOC populations, many have reached out to support groups and peer-to-peer counseling.

Support can also come in the form of a community of good listeners. Do you belong to one?

If you or someone you know is suicidal or in crisis, or for more information or support, please visit NAMI and seek help. In the US, one can also call 988 for immediate assistance.

After my experience is the psych ward i can say the stigma around mental illness is alive and well I don't think ive met a more judgmental person then the first shrink i had in the psych ward actually. She blamed me having psychosis on the weed i was smoking ffs which was absolute bullshit. Mental illness should be actually treated like any other illness instead of locking people up in psych wards in conditions that are little better then jail. Rather sadly i can say i was actually treated better in jail then the psych ward ffs because atleast in jail i was given all my meds where as in the psych ward i was given absolutely no meds for 3 months. I had cotards syndrome and thought i was dead for 3 long goddamn months all because of some judgmental bitch