Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Modafinil

AppealingDealings

Ex-Bluelighter
Modafinil - What's the big deal on these? and does anyone actively take them?

Read a lot about them, then received a very large quantity of them.

Have not bothered to try them as yet because I enjoy my sleep too much.

Any thoughts/experiences?

Ive tried Modafinil and didnt really notice any difference, a possible rise in alertness but the effects were very subtle, I wouldnt bother with Modafinil again to be honest. I found dexamphetamine more affective

Modafinil was created with the intention of making a stimulant devoid of all the recreational effects.
Also high doses are no good, not even from a cardiovascular aspect (or your kidney/liver for that matter) but because side effects get bad.

Some people like it, others would literally prefer a cup of coffee to modaf. Can't tell you whether you'll like it or not.

Some people like it, others would literally prefer a cup of coffee to modaf.

Yeah that's me for sure, I find I get a hell of a lot more out of a nice strong cup of coffee than I do modafinil, I didn't really notice any effects at all from modaf, possible increase of alertness but it would have been extremely subtle. Caffeine does have the downside of causing excessive sweating in myself, but it definitely wakes me up more as well.
dexamp or bust

There's heaps of reasons why modafinil is superior to caffeine - mostly on the side-effects side of the ledger. Ditto amphetamine stimulants. Modaf is great for getting through long days without caffeine crashes, great for keeping you focused for non-analytical tasks, great for improving short term memory - it's wonderful if your doing something like note taking in long lectures. Caffeine is wretched stuff, makes me jittery and anxious, modaf does none of that.

First few days on it has kept me quite focused and alert - minimal sleep. Personally find it much better than caffeine but that was expected. I work 14hr days in trade production during the day then online at night so it has had its benefits.

I don't think it deserves to be classified with or compared to direct stimulants like amphetamine or caffeine - it has as much in common with those as melatonin does with temazepam or nitrazepam.

If you're looking for direct stimulation or any kind of recreational effect, it's useless. What it's excellent for is wiping away the effects of fatigue. Say you had a late night, only got 2 or 3 hours of sleep and you feel awful and foggy, but you have to get up and go about your day doing tasks that require energy and concentration, that's where modafinil comes in handy. You pop the pill, and once it kicks it you'll feel like you had a full 8 hours of sleep the night before. That's what it's for, wiping away the effects of fatigue. There is a mild stimulant component the first few times you use it (comparable to maybe 2.5 - 5mg d-amp in potency, but without any euphoria, just a bit of tweakiness and jaw clenching), but 90% of that goes away after 2 - 3 times you use it, and you're just left with the wakefulness inducing effect. There doesn't seem to be any real tolerance buildup to the wakefulness effect, at least I experienced none in the 3 months I took it daily.

Great for functioning when fatigued, non-addictive, non-recreational. Worst side effects are insomnia if you take it after early afternoon, occasional headaches and, if you use it daily for too long, some mild anxiety. And obviously using it as an excuse to not get a proper nights sleep every night for long periods of time is going to be harmful to your body and result in an excess of fatigue when you stop taking the pills.

i think the effects vary person to person

for me i found it to be a useful tool, but not really recreational at all

it was good for work, i would be more efficient and not get tired easily and maintain focus for a longer period of time

although at higher doses with an empty stomach i would get some sides such as a migraine/headache

i like having it around just incase i need it, but i wouldnt take it regularly myself, some people think you can take it every day though like a nootropic

I found it to be great for improving my motivation and energy levels unfortunately on the following day I found myself to be even more down and lethargic. I'm not sure if this happens every time but it's something to look out for if you are prone to depressive symptoms. Also I don't find it to be great for social situations it made me feel a little bit scattered/anxious. Good for solitary tasks where you need to stay focused though.

Last edited:
I found it to be great for improving my motivation and energy levels unfortunately on the following day I found myself to be even more down and lethargic. I'm not sure if this happens every time but it's something to look out for if you are prone to depressive symptoms. Also I don't find it to be great for social situations it made me feel a little bit scattered/anxious. Good for solitary tasks were you need to stay focused though.

Yeah that fits with my experience too. I tried one recently and then got horribly depressed in the week after - I hadn't actually made the connection until I saw this post. I'll be steering clear in the future.

It's a functional stim. It works. It's duration is a bit too long for what it is though. I estimate 16-18 hours. If you want to sleep at night you need to take it no later than say 8 or 9am. I drive a lot, sometimes a huge fuck off van thing for an eight hour day. Works perfectly for alertness for that.

I don't agree with the depression a week later that people are talking of. Only downsides for me are the usual stim knackeredness afterwards, and even that's not as bad as proper amphetamines/meth etc.

If you have nothing to focus on, no task at hand, it can be pretty frustrating. But then so can PV. That's why people wank so much on PV.

SMH - I agree with you. I think it might simply have been a trigger that exacerbated preexisting stress. The poster above me only mentioned the next day. I extrapolated from that because it felt like a penny drop moment. Trying to build a causative relationship is probably a massive overstretch.

I'm prescribed 108mg Concerta/ day. ER ritalin...

My housemate had these prescribed at some stage in the past for 'daytime sleepy ness'...
She's a chronic pain sufferer. On lots of oxy...

She had leftovers.. I took 200mg twice a day for 5 ish days....

'Non addictive Ritalin' was my brief conclusion. Won't really get you high...not really any 'redose' compulsion. Nice and awake, not nasty like nodoze... Expensive though

Agreed that its definitely not as bad as the day after from meth. I should qualify that I also had some stressful events on that day that added to the situation. Its far from the first or last dose of modafinil for me but I think that I'm going to use it with a buffer zone between taking it and having to do important or stressful stuff the day afterward. It was only 200mg and taken in the morning not at night and I should probably add that it was generic not brand name. I still think though that there is a distinct lull in energy levels and motivation on the following day after use.

I was prescribed modafanil (forgot the dosage) during my stay at rehab for meth cravings. It didn't help much, I was generally left craving even more so because it gave the feeling like I'd just had a tiny tiny puff and only made me want a full hit. Sorry if this is irrelevant but just thought I'd mention it.

Been using Armodafinil lately and been really pleasantly surprised by its usefulness. Lots of people say it doesn't compare to modafinal but I've found it to be great.

Could see these drugs being useful for PAWS, at a low dose so it doesn't mess with sleep or increase anxiety. I take half a tablet (75mg) and it seems to last until late arvo/early evening, makes me really calm and improves focus. Beats dexies as a functional stimulant for me because of its mild effect, long/smooth duration and lack of recreational effect.

I still wouldn't take it everyday. I know it's seen as non-habit forming but I can imagine consistent long term use would have you feeling pretty shitty when you stopped taking them.

I find it way milder than methylphenidate, and even caffeine feels more 'hard' - maybe modafinal is different.

edit: Haven't had a problem with headaches except when I was hungover/dehydrated. I make sure I drink plenty of water.