Mental Health Moclobemide update and it's not good.

chrispche

Bluelighter
I'm currently taking 600mg of Moclobemide and it started off really well. I've felt so much better since commencing it. Now in the last week it has pooped out. Now I'm experiencing low depression and worst of all anhedonia. Now I'm due a psychiatrist appointment in the next 4 weeks. I was thinking of asking for Vortioxetine. My reasons are this, I've been through various SSRI's and SNRI's and Mirtazapine. Now we can add Moclobemide to that mix and they don't have a lasting effect. According to the NHS Vortioxetine is not a first line treatment but a fall back one. So I'm wondering if this sounds reasonable. I want to ask my psychiatrist about it. Do any of you guys have experience with Vortioxetine?

I'm currently taking 600mg of Moclobemide and it started off really well. I've felt so much better since commencing it. Now in the last week it has pooped out. Now I'm experiencing low depression and worst of all anhedonia. Now I'm due a psychiatrist appointment in the next 4 weeks. I was thinking of asking for Vortioxetine. My reasons are this, I've been through various SSRI's and SNRI's and Mirtazapine. Now we can add Moclobemide to that mix and they don't have a lasting effect. According to the NHS Vortioxetine is not a first line treatment but a fall back one. So I'm wondering if this sounds reasonable. I want to ask my psychiatrist about it. Do any of you guys have experience with Vortioxetine?

Vortioxetine can cause insomnia. It's also not likely to be available for a low cost since it is new.

Ask your doctor about new ketamine treatments as these have been proven to be effective in treatment-resistant depression.

I'm sorry to hear this mate. I don't know enough about vortioxetine to comment on that but I'ma read up on it now.

Vortioxetine can cause insomnia. It's also not likely to be available for a low cost since it is new.

Ask your doctor about new ketamine treatments as these have been proven to be effective in treatment-resistant depression.
I was also going to suggest this, but I'm not sure if it's an approved treatment option in the UK? It's a bit of a grey area here in Aus...

Strange, I stopped taking Moclobemide 10 days ago as it simply didn't make any difference. I was still feeling low. However, what's strange is this I started taking it again yesterday and I'm feeling better again. I read on a Bipolar Support Group that one contributer who also had my experience of poop out decided after 4 days to start taking it again. What happened next was immediate release from the lows for them.

This is the oddest antidepressant I've tried. That said I have a psychiatrist appointment on the 24th of August. I will tell all then. Ultimately I don't want to stick to Moclobemide if one needs a break for a what I assume is a tolerance issue just for it's efficacy to kick in again.

Strange!

Strange, I stopped taking Moclobemide 10 days ago as it simply didn't make any difference. I was still feeling low. However, what's strange is this I started taking it again yesterday and I'm feeling better again. I read on a Bipolar Support Group that one contributer who also had my experience of poop out decided after 4 days to start taking it again. What happened next was immediate release from the lows for them.

This is the oddest antidepressant I've tried. That said I have a psychiatrist appointment on the 24th of August. I will tell all then. Ultimately I don't want to stick to Moclobemide if one needs a break for a what I assume is a tolerance issue just for it's efficacy to kick in again.

Strange!
That is indeed odd. Do you feel like you're going to be okay and safe until your psychiatrist appointment?

Insomnia isn't a problem for me. I don't stress about it even if it does occur. My bug bear is anxiety and depression. Infact paradoxically if I don't sleep well one night, let's say I only get four hours of sleep I feel far less depressed than if I get a full seven to eight hours. When I sleep for a long time. I usually awake with low mood, anxiety. It's weird I know. So Vortioxetine being something that can cause insomnia is not a worry for me. I just want rid of the lows. As posted above, restarting the Moclobemide seems to be helping again. I just don't want it if it poops out every so often.

Update:

I have been on Vortioxetine for two weeks now. Initially some nausea, but that's gone now. I can feel subtle and slow improvements in my mood. My Anhedonia has started to lift. I'm enjoying my usual activities again and I'm not sitting around staring at walls all day. It's also had an interesting pro cognitive effect as well. My mind seems clearer somehow. If this is just the beginning of the improvements I'm impressed so far. As for poop out, I don't think I'll suffer from that as I did on Moclobemide. See Moclobemide triggered an hypomanic episode in me from which I think I crashed out. Vortioxetine hasn't done that, it seems more gentle and subtle.

Quick update. I have been seen by the Psychiatrist a very nice guy. Only just qualified for practicing psychiatry, very enthusiastic and engaging. Long story short. I told him that I'd like to lower my dose of Aripiprazole from 30mg, my thinking being that it's a large dose not required as I'm fairly stable. However he said that he would like me to remain at the current dose of Aripiprazole 30mg and Vortioxetine 20mg, plus Diazepam prn. Seeing as nothing is broken here, why upset the situation with a dose change of any kind. I accepted that and shall see him again in 6 months pending on nothing serious going on. As I say, nice chap and also nice to know he'll be hanging around for some years to come.

Quick update. I have been seen by the Psychiatrist a very nice guy. Only just qualified for practicing psychiatry, very enthusiastic and engaging. Long story short. I told him that I'd like to lower my dose of Aripiprazole from 30mg, my thinking being that it's a large dose not required as I'm fairly stable. However he said that he would like me to remain at the current dose of Aripiprazole 30mg and Vortioxetine 20mg, plus Diazepam prn. Seeing as nothing is broken here, why upset the situation with a dose change of any kind. I accepted that and shall see him again in 6 months pending on nothing serious going on. As I say, nice chap and also nice to know he'll be hanging around for some years to come.
That's good to hear man, I'm really glad you had a positive experience with him and that you'll be seeing him again. How are you doing overall?

I'm doing very well overall. The sun is shining here in the UK and the longer daylight hours helps with the depression. As well as the meds.