• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Missed injection?

Chaoticintentions

Greenlighter
I'm a beginning when it comes to doing meth through an IV and I know that I missed the shot.
A lump appeared immediately, and then my hand became numb so I couldn't feel anything.
It's been a couple hours and now my hand is becoming sore and the injection sight is painful to touch.

It's not going to turn into an absess or anything, right? that the only thing I'm really worried about...

Hey Chaotic,

It's always sad to hear that another poor soul is taking the plunge into parenteral/injection use. It's invariably a strong indicator of the strength of your addiction. But anyway...

You need to go see a doctor for this. That's the only reasonable answer I, or anyone can give. I've missed plenty of shots, we all have and they rather severe symptoms that you are describing are not what I would call normal. Some bruising, soreness, etc. are totally normal as long as they are constrained the the area of injection. If you decide you're not going to the hospital - which is not acceptable - put a towel/rag under some hot water and then use it as a compress on the affected area.

You might get lucky and find that the symptoms subside on their, but it's not worth the risk. People lose arms. This certainly isn't true for ever injecting drug user, but in general, you should become comfortable with going to the emergency department, because you'll probably be there more likely that you would like.

Nothing as gross as getting an absess lanced and squeezed out except maybe getting your arm amputated. Anyway be careful man shooting drugs has to many dangerous variables from infections to nerve damage or even just disgusting tracks. I still get embarrassed wearing a short sleeve shirt that I consciously try to maneuver my arms so people won't notice the huge ass choo choos going down my arms.

What was your technique?

I don't think there's really a technique that can easily be described in words dude. In theory there is only one way to IV. You either do it correctly or your don't. What sums it up, is that it's a very simple process that can sometimes be pretty difficult.

I will give you this. One little trick that I learned that actually helped me tremendously was as follows: start the process same as always; tourniquet, wash area with soap/alcohol, find vein, insert needle at a relatively shallow angle, then, if you're not getting a register, try just giving your rig a little "tap" in the direction of the vein. For some reason, this little trick always helped me. Otherwise injection technique is something you have to develop on your own, but receiving help from experienced users is a key part of the process for myself and most others.

Knowing his technique will allow us to give him real answers instead of just assuming as you are.