• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Mirtazapine (Remeron) for meth addiction?

ontheupandup

Greenlighter
Is there merit to Mirtazapine being prescribed to help with meth addiction or cravings. I’m in a program and this is what they are prescribing.

I was told that it has properties that are anti stimulant overdose or something like that.

Or is it just the increased appetite or sleepiness that might help.

Hmmm…I heard if abilify being helpful for cravings and topamax. First I heard of remeron but it is a great sleep aid.

@ontheupandup hey man. Happy to hear you're in a program. Good for you dude. That Methamphetamine is the fucking devil and this is coming from a dope fiend, so that tells you something.

I don't want to discourage you. I do want to give you a straight answer though. The majority of "treatments" for Methamphetamine addiction are essentially random attempts by psychiatrists to fix secondary issues that arise from Methamphetamine use. For instance, a person is depressed following their withdrawal from the drug, so naturally, an antidepressant is the correct choice, right?

The majority of these treatments have little to no evidence to support their usage. There seems to be a lot more evidence suggesting the usage of more mild stimulant drugs is an appropriate option. There are studies coming out of Australia and elsewhere suggesting there is merit to this. I read a study in which chronic Methamphetamine users were given 200mg Lisdexamphetamine (Vyvanse) per day (this is ~3x the acceptable limit of 70mg). If you ask me, I feel this is the obvious choice, but we're not playing a game of science, we're playing a game of morality.

I live in New England, which is known for being a little more liberal than other areas of the country. There are definitely more and more Meth addicts getting prescriptions for Amphetamine. It seems to lead to better outcomes regarding service-engagement and of course, abstinence from Methamphetamine.

I've never found the "antidepressats' of any variety to really do much of anything. In the best of circumstances, it seems most people reply saying "I might feel better, I don't know" and in the worst cases, endure negative side effects that are life-altering.

I'm highly skeptical of the entire category of psychiatric drugs. I know few people for whom they truly made the difference. They seem to be a good way of providers indicating they "did something" for a person. Hell, who in the world doesn't want to be depressed?

Mirtazapine (Remeron) has a pretty common side-effect of stimulating appetite to extreme extents. I've take nearly every medication that I talk about on here, including Mirtazapine. Want to know what else? I got all of these prescriptions to treat my Opioid dependence in the same way that they're throwing them at you to treat your Methamphetamine addiction.

I think it would help especially for sleep and increasing appetite. Both huge when coming off meth.

I dunno. I'm not a scientist, but I am a former meth addict and a former remeron patient, sometimes overlapping, and it makes no sense to me. Mirtazapine never curbed any cravings for me and if I did come off of meth and crash, I'd have no problem whatsoever with sleep or appetite. I dunno lol.