View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mirtazapine Question?

ksralyv2mch

Bluelighter
Ok so I am currently prescribed 20mg a day of citalopram for depression and social anxiety and recently my psych also prescribed me 30mg Mirtazapine for sleep (and for depression if I wanted to switch over, lately I've been taking 15mgs for sleep and my citalopram as well) I plan on taking mushrooms soon and wonder if anyone knows of any negative effects of mirtazapine and citalopram with mushrooms? And on the same note if anyone knows any dangerous combinations with mirtazapine for drugs in the psychedelic category; it would appear in the dangerous combo sticky they don't have anything on noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressants (NaSSA) which Mirtazapine falls under.

Thanks in advanced!

Mirtazapine will dull your trip. I couldn't ever trip properly while taking it. It got frustrating so I stopped the mirtazapine for a few months and then did mushrooms again... it soon became apparent that mirtazapine was dulling the effects for my first attempts with psychedelics... :)

Let's put it this way: I take citalopram (10mg) and I've taken acid and al-lad during the past few months and they were both a waste of time. 300ug al-lad and 150ug acid. I fell asleep - it was that uneventful, lol.

the short version is: SSRI's are unpredictable but usually dull a trip. Depends on the types of SSRI and drug taken, doses, individual particularities etc. But it is not unheard of that the trip can even be stronger or that there be unpleasant weird feelings from an interaction.
Mirtazapine should be less unpredictable since it blocks the psychedelic effects mediated via 5-HT2a receptors, however it is still a matter of which dosage wins out. I was certainly able to trip on dissociatives mixed with 5-MeO-DMT on it.

But, other than that I abstained from psychedelics for like a year while I was taking psychedelics... even though I could have tried messing with them more. And I recommend others to also avoid tripping with anti-depressants. Partially depends on the reasons for taking the ADs and the seriousness.