Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mirtazapine having Psychedelic effects?

hh95

Bluelighter
Hey guys,
Well I was reading in a small article about Mirtazapine in my research before I agreed for my doctor to prescribe me it saying that, in much MUCH higher doses then therapeutic doses you can achieve Quiet intense visuals from Mirtazapine quiet similar almost identical to LSD, but keeping your mind intact (no introspection etc) I have never found anything else regarding if it has recreational value (which im not after anyways im just curious) I know Mirtazapine is an SSRI and mucks around with serotonin in your brain (Im not very good a Chemistry obviously haha) and serotonin is generally the chemical that most psychedelics seem to alter. So is there any truth to this in its chemistry or was this all just rubbish?

I don't know if it's true but I believe that taking MUCH higher doses than recommended is very dangerous with SSRIs. I wouldn't do it.

Well according to Wikipedia and my doctor Mirtazapine is one of the few SSRI's which is actually very hard if not nearly impossible to OD on. As I was suicidal at the time (Quitting Meth) and suffering severe insomnia My doc didn't want to put me on benzos because of my past drug abuse/suicide attempts. So I think the method in her madness was kill 2 birds with one stone. But im getting at the fact it was rated safe even at doses 7-22 times the maximum recommended dose, with reports upto 50 times the maximum recommended dose with pretty much no toxicity. So IF it is possible to take huge doses would it be psychedelic?

Mirtazapine is truly a weird drug, when it comes to its sedative effects it has the "Paradoxical Effect" The less you take the more sedating it is for example when I was first put on them I would have 7.5mg and that would knock me out stone cold solid (Better than ANY benzo ive ever done) but I have 15mg and its not as sedating and to my normal daily dose of 30mg it is more like a low - mid dose of diazepam at best... So if the effects were linear a very high dose would be minimally sedating, if at all?

Yeah I found the higher I dosed, the less effective the hypnotic effects were. I don't think it's worth it to chase a high with an SSRI, I doubt it'll end in a pleasant, psychedelic stupor. I found that higher end doses made me feel kinda nasty, reminded me of trazadone a bit, ymmv.

I 100% agree SSRI's are just not meant to be used recreationally. I just found it curious that this was on the internet and was digging to find out more about this, not to mention this drugs strange properties I thought there might be something too it. I could find the link to the source of my question if anyone is keen for a read?

Sure why not, I gotta run some errands but It sounds interesting enough for me to give a glance later on...

Mirtazapine is not an SSRI....quite the contrary....it is an NaSSA, and quite an effective antidepressant that seems to be making a comeback, post SSRI boom...

It acts as an inverse agonist and/or antagonists at many of the 5HT receptor subtypes....hallucinations? Dunno. Probably not worth chasing due to the messy action of the drug...

Oh shit you are right too, my bad I got confused coz my doctor overloaded me with different ones, I remember snri's, ssri's, maoi's and mirtazapine which she said will help for sleep. What do you mean by messy action of the drug?

I took Mirtazapine once and before I fell asleep, I definitely experienced some CEVs, not to strong, not really comparable to any psychedelic or Cannabis CEVs, but they were there. No OEV were experienced though.

OP, are you also on Venlafaxine?

My ex-wife is on Mirtazapine/Venlafaxine given together.
The combo, according to her shrink, is called "California Rocket Fuel".
She just told me about this last night. I haven't had a chance to ask her about it in depth, nor do I know how long she's been on it.
I DO know that she was pretty manic last night when she told me about this.

She spun-out on LSA last year and hasn't been quite right since...maybe this shit isn't for her...?

No im not on Venlafaxine although I have heard of the two being mixed and called that. And as for Mirtazapine itself is a very effective at its job, I sometimes have a smaller dose to go to sleep better but wake up the next day with my anxiety playing up at which point I use 5mg of diazepam. But yeh it had definitely helped me through depression. I guess its upto her. if she feels its working and helping her. But if she thinks there is room for improvement or its not doing anything then maybe she should see her doc?

I took Mirtazapine once and before I fell asleep, I definitely experienced some CEVs, not to strong, not really comparable to any psychedelic or Cannabis CEVs, but they were there. No OEV were experienced though.

I had the same thing particularly when I was first put on them... I also had CRAZY CRAZY dreams. But the CEVS, were almost or if not identical to what you get before bed on Doxylamine Succinate, they were also very mild but still there none the less.

I took a whole bunch of these and nothing happened, just felt weird.

edit: Oh yeah the dreams were insane.

I took a whole bunch of these and nothing happened, just felt weird.

edit: Oh yeah the dreams were insane.

Yeh same when I took a higher than normal dose... weird feeling I guess sortve nasty.... My dreams were absolutely awesome... until they ended in tragedy every single one... one of them I was on holidays in Italy with cartoon characters from my fav kids cartoons from when I was little... until the plane home crashed and I watched them all die. Another one I was at my favourite club partying away and then got the shit beaten out of me at the end... the tragedy always ended it... Just curious did this happen to you?

There are a bunch of reports on Erowid of mirtazapine causing extremely vivid dreams, and a fair amount of those dreams being traumatic.

I've come across a couple mentions of bizarre paradoxical hallucinatory effects from mirtazapine, but that is very far from the norm. In fact some people, myself included, have used it to stop a trip with success. Go figure

Doesn't it do like the opposite things to serotonin that Psychedelic drugs do like it works like a reversed hallucinogen or something?