• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Mirtazapine // Getting Tired of This Shit (no pun intended)

Psychedalienation

Bluelighter
Alright so I have bad insomnia that I mostly attribute to ADHD. My mind doesn't fucking turn off when I close my eyes, it actually normally gets worse. "You just moved your finger, why are you thinking about moving your finger, why are you thinking about thinking, why can't I shut up, okay I'm going to try shutting up... train. why train? now I'm seeing trains, boats, a show I watched earlier, fuck my life I'm so uncomfortable, I hate my brain, SLEEP SLEEP" ETC.

So my psych prescribed me Trazodone (antidepressant) and it knocks me out decently but in the morning, I'm a fucking zombie and feel like shit. I'm insanely groggy, grumpy, clumsy, etc.

So I scheduled an appt. with my psych in 10 days from now, but my mother had a phone call with her while I was sleeping and apparently she prescribed me Mirtazapine.

Doing research on Mirtazapine, I have found it causes extreme "munchies", crazy vivid dreams, and is mainly used as an anti-depressant for MDD.

My psych has prescribed me Bupropion (Welbutrin), Atomoxetine (Strattera), Guanfacine (Intuniv), and Trazodone. ALL OF THESE HAVE BEEN UNSUCCESSFUL AND COME WITH TERRIBLE SIDE EFFECTS THAT I HATE.

I don't fucking understand how hard it is to prescribe Clonodine or a benzo or a simple sleep only aid that comes without these side effects. She seems to be obsessed with prescribing NRI's and antidepressants as sleep aids.

The only good thing she has prescribed me was Methylphenidate but I ended up abusing it and my parents canceled the script (this was 2+ years ago).

Now, I have been to an outpatient rehab facility for alcoholism through Kaiser Permanente about a year ago which is the insurance corp my psych works for.

I turned 18 on January 15th, 2017. So when I was in rehab, I was 17.

What the fuck do I have to say to her to get something with either a somewhat recreational value or just a sleep aid that ISN'T a fucking antidepressant and comes without annoying side effects?

Are these signs of her prescribing shit drugs because of me going to rehab? Is she just lazy and prescribing things she can over the phone?

And before you hungry ass people who look for the haze of people who enjoy recreation in pharms, I am NOT only looking for recreation. I'd do just fine with a sleep aid that worked and had no recreation potential but worked for what I needed it to. I would, however, not have a problem with receiving a benzodiazepine or something with that potential.

Should I just keep saying no to all this bullshit until she prescribes me something decent or just flat out says I'm fucked, or do I just accept Trazodone and deal with the mornings. I don't have access to coffee (don't ask why just accept it).

Yes I have tried melatonin, and now also have Doxylamine Hcl which I'm going to try as well.

Oh and before you tell me to not go in with a negative mindset, I'm going to give mirtazapine a fair shot. I'm trying it tonight for the first time at 7.5mg and going in with an open mind. It's just that from what I've researched, there are annoying side effects and people get fat.

Last edited:
I fucking HATED mirtazapine!! Shit made me "angry tired" and gave me the most intense munchies, like worse than smoking weed. So bad I gained 30 fucking pounds in 3 months, just from the mirtazapine making me so fucking hungry at night. When I realized how much I gained I told my doctor that I'm not taking that shit anymore. I've also been on trazadone, worked great but stopped putting me to sleep when tolerance built up. Then was put on belsomra, now I'm on ambien that does not put me to sleep, just makes me feel drunk for 30 mins after taking it, then I feel "normal" not tired or anything.

Also I've been on benzo's for quite some time and none of them "put me to sleep", they are just for my anxiety. I'm not even sure if dr's are supp to prescribe a benzo for sleep disorders?

I hope they do, I could see myself sleeping on some nice alp. I took Mirtazapine at 7.5mg last night and right now the only word I can give is... weird. I feel so weird right now the next day. Spacey, my limbs and fingers are light and feel kind of weak. I feel like I'm floating in a good and bad way. Just... weird. I awoke sort of disorientated and hungry. Not sure what to think.

"Mirtazapine // Getting Tired of This Shit (no pun intended)"

what? there was no pun? what do you mean? what is life?

What the fuck do I have to say to her to get something with either a somewhat recreational value or just a sleep aid that ISN'T a fucking antidepressant and comes without annoying side effects?

oh and you should give the BLUA agreement a read man cause doctor shopping is not something we can help you out with.
sorry mang

srsly what fucking pun?

I'm looking for medication to help insomnia. Getting "TIRED" of this shit....

kms.

This isn't a doctor shopping thread. My intentions with my psychiatrist were to get a medicine for insomnia that doesn't come with nasty side effects. I have read the BLUA. You are not staff. You are trying a little too hard js. <3

I just told someone in a previous thread how shitty Seroquel is, but in your case, it might be a reasonable option for insomnia. It's not a controlled substance, so there's no abuse liability for your doctor to worry about. It should only be taken at a low dose once nightly for insomnia.

Belsomra is new sleep med that might also be worth a shot if your insurance covers it.

The problems you described sounds exactly like some of the issues that I've been having with adhd and insomnia. Unfortunately, z-drugs like Ambien are basically the only thing that will reliably put me to sleep and allow my brain to turn off for the night, but they become useless if you abuse them or take them everyday. I regularly use noble kava root powder, and while it isn't a reliable sleep med, it definitely helps me and it's non-addictive. Kava can also give you a mild buzz somewhat similar to small amounts of alcohol. Some alcoholics successfully switch to using kava root instead.

And take a deep breath. Relax. Keeping was just giving you a reminder ;)

Thank you for the advice. Is there a safe way of bringing this up without raising red flags to my psych?

And he seems to be giving everyone reminders: https://ibb.co/nnAhMQ

I don't need to be told to relax. But I have read his posts and he seems to be very interested in being a staff member to everyone while not having a staff position at all. Comes off as obnoxious. I'm perfectly calm, don't worry.

And I'll check out if Kaiser covers Belsomra, again thank you for the suggestions.

^ lol chill out man, did you actually screen cap that?
i don't bring it up but i was asked to be staff but i turned it down. its not a big deal
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

oh my god you are hilarious. and yes, basically what I did was I used one finger to press "fn" and then another one to press "prtscrn" and then it just happened! I was like "what?!" that took so much effort!

And thank you for not bringing that up and then bringing it up.

Let the mods do their work. The reason they didn't say anything was because nothing needed to be said.

Thank you for the advice. Is there a safe way of bringing this up without raising red flags to my psych?

And he seems to be giving everyone reminders: https://ibb.co/nnAhMQ

I don't need to be told to relax. But I have read his posts and he seems to be very interested in being a staff member to everyone while not having a staff position at all. Comes off as obnoxious. I'm perfectly calm, don't worry.

And I'll check out if Kaiser covers Belsomra, again thank you for the suggestions.

When it comes to asking your doctor or psych for meds, it's always good to be straightforward and do plenty of research beforehand. You want to be able to explain why you want that med and why you think it will work better than what he/she wants. Basically, if you're wanting a drug because you know you can abuse it, you're probably not going to get it and it's not a good idea to ask for it. But if you have a legitimate reason for wanting to try a med and you have good intentions, you should just be honest and let them know why want to try it. It sounds like she's given you many drugs that haven't worked, so you can tell her that you've done some research on your own and would like to give it shot. Unfortunately, some doctors will actually get offended by this or might completley ignore you. If either happens, they probably don't have your best interest in mind and it's probably time to try to find someone new.

That's about as much as I can say without getting into "how can I acquire x drug from a doc" territory. I think it's important to be able to have an honest dialogue with your doctor's. As for the kava, that's just a supplement that you don't need a prescription for.

And no worries man. I was just playing around, but it's actually helpful when members are actively involved in helping keep the forums on point and within the rules. Only a small portion of the community is staff, so it makes everyone's lives' easier when the community is helping do our job for us. Plus we're volunteering our time. We're not holding highly coveted positions ;)

And no worries man. I was just playing around, but it's actually helpful when members are actively involved in helping keep the forums on point and within the rules. Only a small portion of the community is staff, so it makes everyone's lives' easier when the community is helping do our job for us. Plus we're volunteering our time. We're not holding highly coveted positions ;)

I have been reading this forum FAR longer than you have been a member and I know how it works. I don't need to be told anything. I understand that it is helpful, that was not my point. keepings should be asking for clarification instead of belligerently shutting people down like a fucking moron to try and sound like staff. No one gives a fuck if you were offered a staff position and didn't take it. Good for you. You get a participation award. Offer helpful advice or don't speak at all. He's one of those people that erplies to EVERY. SINGLE. THREAD. Just to have his name out there. If Slow_Mobius has a problem with my post, fine. But I'm very familiar with the BLUA and have been reading here for 5+ years and I already know.

Back on topic, I agree with you but I feel like most doctors ignore intention unless you have a close relationship with them. I have not spoken to this psych in over 8 months, so asking for a Seroquil prescription or a Clonazepam/Clonodine script will probably make her irk.

I will look into kava, I've heard of that. I no longer drink, so I don't need to "switch" to anything persay, but if it knocks you out, then I'm willing to give it a try.

My concern is that I'm going to attend a program where I have to wake up and focus starting at 6am meaning I should be asleep at 10pm-12am to get decent sleep. I tried traz and feel SOOO sluggish in the morning so that's a nogo. I tried mirtazapine now, and it's garbage for the mornings as well. Might be leaving for this program next week so kind of desperate. I have been smoking weed nightly until 2-3 weeks ago when I got clean from all substances so now I have to adjust.

I have been reading this forum FAR longer than you have been a member and I know how it works. I don't need to be told anything. I understand that it is helpful, that was not my point. keepings should be asking for clarification instead of belligerently shutting people down like a fucking moron to try and sound like staff. No one gives a fuck if you were offered a staff position and didn't take it. Good for you. You get a participation award. Offer helpful advice or don't speak at all. He's one of those people that erplies to EVERY. SINGLE. THREAD. Just to have his name out there. If Slow_Mobius has a problem with my post, fine. But I'm very familiar with the BLUA and have been reading here for 5+ years and I already know.

Back on topic, I agree with you but I feel like most doctors ignore intention unless you have a close relationship with them. I have not spoken to this psych in over 8 months, so asking for a Seroquil prescription or a Clonazepam/Clonodine script will probably make her irk.

I will look into kava, I've heard of that. I no longer drink, so I don't need to "switch" to anything persay, but if it knocks you out, then I'm willing to give it a try.

My concern is that I'm going to attend a program where I have to wake up and focus starting at 6am meaning I should be asleep at 10pm-12am to get decent sleep. I tried traz and feel SOOO sluggish in the morning so that's a nogo. I tried mirtazapine now, and it's garbage for the mornings as well. Might be leaving for this program next week so kind of desperate. I have been smoking weed nightly until 2-3 weeks ago when I got clean from all substances so now I have to adjust.
I too get annoyed when certain members act like staff bro, but keepings been pretty decent to me I'll admit. Anyways, i can relate to your situation. I too would love a benzo prescription but would end up abusing because I'm an addict who actually needs it. But the insomia/anxiety relief would be great. I use alcohol for that but that's not good practice especially in your case Dx i second looking into seroquil, if not that mention to your doctor "my grandma (or whatever) has a prescription for Temezapam & says it's great for insomnia." its a benzo commonly prescribed for sleep issues.

Alright so I have bad insomnia that I mostly attribute to ADHD.

I turned 18 on January 15th, 2017. So when I was in rehab, I was 17.

Perhaps your psych thinks you're just being a surly teenager with nascent substance abuse issues?

They won't take any sleep complaints seriously at your age and definitely won't prescribe tranquillisers for years to come. And by that time you'll have spent so many years ignoring your problems, refusing therapy and fixating on drugs that you really will need the sedatives.

Mirtazipine is a fantastic sleep aid and you won't put on weight at low doses. Go with it and try to get some talk therapy.