• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Mirtazapine, Couldn't walk?

CosmicOxytocin

Greenlighter
About a month ago I was prescribed Mirtazapine(Remeron) for insomnia and anxiety. I've never been a big fan of prescription drugs, besides Adderall which I am also prescribed for ADD. I felt as if my Anxiety was taking control of my life so I decided to give it a go.. What a mistake that was. The first 2 weeks of taking the medication I went from 15mg to 7.5mg and didn't notice much of a effect other than not sleeping and feeling my heart beating in the back of my head at night.

I gave up on the medication after two weeks and didn't notice any withdrawal symptoms. I went back to my Doctor yesterday and told him about what happened, why I decided to stop taking it. He told me what I already know, or at least thought I knew, that Remeron has more side effects at lower doses. He told me to take two 15mg tablets to equal 30mg at night before bed. I took the Remeron around 11:00pm and didn't fall asleep until around 1:00-1:30am.

I woke up at around 6am to drain my lizard and when I first woke up I was gasping for air and couldn't seem to get my eyes open. After about 30seconds I managed to pry them open. My first three inhales after waking up felt strange and almost like they were burning my nose. It reminded me of getting water up your nose while in a swimming pool. When I got out of bed I felt a very intense nausea to the point where I felt like I was going to throw up. I took a really confusing walk to the bathroom, which was occupied atm so I walked to our second bathroom, the entire time the nausea was building.

While I was taking a piss I had a moment where I thought I was going to throw up and then all of sudden I became very light headed and my muscles in my legs seemed to give out. I felt like I was going to faint. I managed to stumble out of the bathroom, all the while dragging myself against the wall. I made it to our kitchen before my eyes started to close and I fell on the floor unable to get back up for a few minutes. I finally managed to get up and then one of my family members saw me once again fall in the hall way into my room and came over to assist me and see what was wrong.

I was still cognative and could talk although my speech was slurred. I don't really remember this too much but my family member said they held on to me as I stumbled into my room and I ended up completely blacking out and falling over into my guitar stands. I believe this because I woke up today with cuts all over my hands and side. I remember laying in bed after falling for the last time, I asked my family member if they could get me some water because I thought I was dehydrated and some OJ because I also thought maybe my blood sugar was low.

I drank two glasses of water and a cup of OJ, felt better laying down. When I closed my eyes to go to sleep my body felt really cold and I began to shake uncontrollably. I believe this part was just me having a anxiety attack because it felt the same as I've felt before on cannabis except more scary because I didn't have that thought in the back of my head saying "This drug has never killed anyone"

I did some deep breathing exercises and managed to fall asleep about an our or two later. I woke up at 12:30am today and felt extremely tired, had problems opening up my left eye, as well as feeling extremely pissed off for no reason. My question here is, has anyone else ever experienced this? I haven't seen or heard to much about anyone having these side effects to this drug. Also if anyone could enlighten me on what caused this to happen would also be great because I'm very curious. Thanks for reading! Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm new here please move it to the correct forum if it is:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your symptoms, especially the chills, blacking out/falling and rapid heart rate are concerning. Tell your doctor right away and explain all this that happened to you. I had no trouble with mirtzapine in the past. But was recently prescribed it again and had intense nightmares and very bad headaches the next day. So I had to stop taking it. I found a link that you may find helpful:

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a697009.html

^ Perfect link.

I also experience some side effects from Remeron when I used it. Not in the beginning though.
Something to do with my metabolism. It took a couple of months though.
Other than that, it's a pity because it was working well.

some people can do just fine with meds like that others can't, i would try something else there is a plethora of other meds to try
seriously suggest you tell your doc exactly what you shared with us
i know meds like that cause mild to minor side effects, but something like doesnt sound like something mild or minor

Are there any credible sources saying that the side-effects are more pronounced at lower doses? I mentioned this to my doctor and he said that the exact opposite was true, and that it was a common myth. My experience with the stuff is that higher doses knock me out harder than lower ones, but everyone is different.

I also take Mirtazapine (45 mg) for depression. It's one of the old, first-generation antihistamines so they can make you drowsy but only at lower doses. At the dose I take the serotonin effect overtakes the effect which causes the drowsiness, or so my doctor told me. But still, that's an odd med to prescribe for either anxiety or insomnia, I could think of better options such as benzodiazepines or Ambien.

I also take Mirtazapine (45 mg) for depression. It's one of the old, first-generation antihistamines so they can make you drowsy but only at lower doses. At the dose I take the serotonin effect overtakes the effect which causes the drowsiness, or so my doctor told me. But still, that's an odd med to prescribe for either anxiety or insomnia, I could think of better options such as benzodiazepines or Ambien.
^ This makes sense and I've heard many people say taking less is better for sleep. But side effects-wise, I'm a bit scared to try the full 45 mg since half a pill did a number on me.

I think there are many doctors who are hesitant to prescribe benzos or ambien even (mine included) because the potential of dependence. If this is the case, OP might find trazodone a better fit.

It is an amazing anti-anxiety medication for many people. It is one of the only pharmaceuticals that improves sleep quality (temazepam being another) which seems counterintuitive as many get side effects or sedation during the day until they become acclimated to it. It is definitely a medication I am interested in trying out if therapy doesn't work as well as needed (it should however). Benzodiazepines should be a last resort as when one gets dependant on them for long enough the patient will acquire long term anxiety problems without them, cessation of use too quickly can cause some brain damage and long term anxiety issues can also be a guarantee. The z-class of drugs can cause dependancy much faster than benzodiazepines as well. They are more of a long term last ditch effort sort of thing in my opinion.

Mirtazepine is a potent ass drug. It will also turn you into a fat fuck. Try vistaril, nuerontin, or fuck anything else for sleep.

IME, quetiapine and especially olanzapine are far worse. Avoid those as well, if weight is a concern. They're good for sleep, some other psych things, and cleaning out your fridge.

Did you by any chance drink, or have any other downers in your system? I've been on 15mg for several months, have taken it with opiates, benzos, and alcohol (not more than a moderate amount) and nothing bad ever happened, then I mixed it with phenibut, which I have experience with, passed the fuck out, and woke up with vomit trails down my mouth. It's a potent little pill, can cause really intense sedation. Your reaction sounds unusual and you should tell your doctor, but also don't underestimate how sedating mirtazapine can be.

mitza is no joke
here's the odd thing its well known that in lower doses it turns you into a drunken zombie but 15mg and up is the threshold between sleepy and normal
guess the lower the more sedative and higher the more therapeutic for depression anxiety etc as i was told by my doc
but its weird its not really a as needed med a random dose can really fuck you up like that

it is strong nonetheless i can personally compare it to temazepam but with anti anxiety as a bonus after the blissful sleep
the thing with mitza is all about the right dose