• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc mirtazapine - best dosage for sleep?

FatBellyWhipSlay

Bluelighter
So I am now 7 weeks off Bupe most of the physical WDs have gone - however now I am getting some PAWS, mainly terrible insomnia and depression

The Doc has prescribed me 30mg of mirtazapine at night, I took the first one last night and it did work for insomnia but I was really weird and kept waking up and doing/saying weird stuff and going back to sleep again, feel ok this morning but is that too high a dose ?

I read someone that 15mg would be better with less side effects. does anyone know this ? or shall i just keep taking the 30mg and those weird trippy side effects will go away after a week or so?

Thanks!

15 mg might very well be better. At the very least, with 30 mg you will gain tolerance faster.

sleep paralysis and other stuff does not get better with time in my case. It gets worse. YMMV.

so = as i understand it you want to be under the thresshold for tca activity. i take 3.5

Thanks everyone for the replies

What's tca?

Also took 15mg instead.of 30mg last night and didn't seem to work . I woke up 2 hrs later. So took the other 15mg and layed there staring at the ceiling all night yet AGAIN! So think I'll jus5 do the 30mg again at one tonight

Also I have noticed that I seem to have the munchies all the time. Nothing fills me! I have never been a ibg eater my whole life. Is this another side effect? Don't want to become mahoosive! I just made my self a bacon double cheese burger Nd still hungry...

it would be tetracyclic activity but I am confused because then it would read as tetracyclic activity activity so I don't know anymore

which might possibly refer to adrenergic alpha-2 antagonism, mostly, I guess? I am no sure if I get the logic behind these tetra- and tricyclic concepts.

that would promote noradrenergic release and possibly little serotonin but I read the serotonin promoting aspect is bullshit but I have also read it is not.

Mirtazapine is an effective but strange drug. It actually works better for insomnia at lower doses, better for depression at higher ones. I initially started at 15mg and it worked wonderfully, but eventually worked up to 45mg just through tolerance. Still worked, but that's when side effects got more prominent, crazy acid type dreams, mad weight gain. I'd try 15mg, see how that does you. And I just finished reading the replies, saw it didn't lol. Try 45.

But yeah, watch that weight, you'll blow up in a heart beat if you aren't careful. 😉

the hunger probably also won't become any better
The effect you will gain most tolerance to is the sedation, which is only thing you want apparently, so, you might want to start planning alternative solution in time.
Mirtazapine fortunately takes some weeks of high-dose daily dosing to get dependent on, and the withdrawal symptoms are tolerable in the beginning, or would be, if you just would get sleep every now and then, but you apparently have issues with that already, so I wouldn't wait too long to get off, you might try just few nights more, but this progress does not seem good.

I think 30mg did a decent job for me. Haven't tried anything higher than 30mg to go to sleep.