Mental Health Mirtazapine 30mg

femaletrouble

Bluelighter
I've just been given a script for mirtazapine 30mg for depression an to help sleep. How long can I take these for an suddenly stop without getting withdrawals. I recently came off amitriptyline but did it cold turkey which has left me with rebound anxiety an poor sleep. Thanks for any relies

I've just been given a script for mirtazapine 30mg for depression an to help sleep. How long can I take these for an suddenly stop without getting withdrawals. I recently came off amitriptyline but did it cold turkey which has left me with rebound anxiety an poor sleep. Thanks for any relies
The doctor who prescribed the mirtazapine, do they know you just came off Endep? If so, did they have anything to say about how long to take the mirtazapine for?
I've never taken mirtazapine before so I don't know from experience.

I came off amitriptyline without the drs consent I know stupid but it wasn't helping.so stopped cold turkey. Ever since then I've had rebound anxiety an poor sleep.It's also hard to get a drs appointment here in the UK buy eventually got to see the doc. Told him I hadn't taken the amitriptyline which was 2x25mg before bedtime. So he says I'll change to meds to mirtazapine 30mg. I don't want to be taking it long-term so was wondering if it was OK to take for a week or two an then stop.

I was on it for a few months and stopped because it was causing weight gain. It didn't require a weening period of time and did not seem to have ill effect. Having said that...I was on it specifically for sleep and transitioning off from another medication( Benzo).So I am speaking only from that angle.

I was on it to help with gaining weight as I had medical anorexia (not psychological anorexia - I was losing weight due to life circumstances like poverty and homelessness and drug use) so my doctor switched me from Prozac to Mirtazapine. I remember in the morning I could barely get out of bed at the beginning, which got better with time. But I'd literally lie there trying to get up and it felt like my body was made of lead. I came off it because it ended up precipitating mania and causing my bipolar diagnosis as well as the Prozac doing so eventually, but because I don't tend to get any withdrawal at all from psychiatric medication (I stopped Lithium and Risperidone and Lamotragine and Sodium Valproate cold turkey - my psychiatrist has stopped making me wean off meds because I just don't need to. I stop taking one and wait a few days then I start taking another) I'm not a great person to ask about weaning. I don't know why you're already asking about weaning though - why don't you see how the medication works for you then have a think about that? There's other things you can take to help sleep which aren't psychiatric medications (I would especially avoid Seroquel as though it's widely prescribed as a sleeping aid it really shouldn't be) like Phenergan and other drowsy anti-histamines. I specifically recommend Phenergan as an over the counter sleep aid, as well as Melatonin if you can access it. IHerb is a website/app that you can use to order large amounts of Melatonin in larger doses like 3mg, 5mg and 10mg.

I have taken it for several months at that dose and stopped without tapering, and don't recall having any issues. Things felt more "real" but I did not have markedly worse anxiety, brain zaps, or other problems.

Mirtazepine tends to take therapeutic effect faster than some other common ADs, so you should be able to figure out whether it works before the withdrawals become too much of an issue. I will say though, I find 15mg helps sleep but 30mg to be activating enough that it almost disturps sleep when you first take it. The antidepressant effects are much more noticeable at 30-45mg however, and daytime fatigue subsides.