• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Milk doesn't do a body good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe they simply have lactase in them, which is the enzyme that breaks down lactose.

25% of caucasians & 75% of african americans are lactose intolerant.

Got pus? Milk does..

I don't think cows should be producing 10x their natural rate of milk, but that's just me!
downsmall.jpg

yea- milk's got lots of puss...

and blood.

with crazy amounts of growth hormone.

For those of you worried about calcium intake, have you heard of Coral Calcium? From what I know of it, all of the real Coral Calcium on the market (about 10% of products that claim to be coral calcium) come from one place on earth.

It's somewhere around Japan... I believe, although I might be wrong. Supposedly there are people there living to be in the 100s and they look no older than 65. Coral Calcium is a petrified form of coral. I've heard many many good thing's about it (the real stuff, the imitation gives it a bad rep, hence why they are able to harvest it and get away with selling it, it's not an unlimited supply, so letting people market fake product is how the people marketing the real thing get to get away with it- and sell it at very high prices.

everythinginside, I think you are a dude and I say go for it if you are trying to improve your health. I gave up milk once after reading a diet book by Marilu Henner, which was also very anti-milk.. I lasted a whole year! Or thereabouts, and it was quite interesting.. then I went to Holland and everyone was dairy crazy and I would have missed out on too much fun to say no to everything.

So.. I now have dairy, and pizza, and all of the nice things.. but I do see it as bad for me. I wouldn't want a McDonald's milkshake ever again or a tall glass of milk! But I have to admit that yes, I have all of the other dairy. I don't reckon it's super harmful.. well, only as bad as say sweets and white bread and beer and everything else..

^ you are correct, I am a dude =D ;)

I agree- moderation is the key with anything. Lately I've been mowing down bags of cheesesticks like-crazy; I'd say I'd eat about 12 (well- at max; usually it was around 8 or so) sticks in a sitting, and I'd call that a meal.. so I think that kinda made me step back and take a look at my lifestyle... I got into a kick where I thought cheese (and milk) helped me remember dreams (heard somewheres). I have since found out I do a good job of that on my own, i think..

I also recently took up eating tortellini.. which is filled with cheese.. For like a week straight that's all I had.. so I must've just been feeling the effects. Maybe it was some kinda self-experiment.

Crazy?

I think you all are crazy...

Do you know how silly you sound when you start a thread talking about how harmful milk is, posting links to some very-anti milk webs ites and claims.....only to post about 20 times how there are all these things you CANT live without? You tell me all the bad things in milk yet you will not give up butter or pizza or yogurt or cheese sticks.

There is a reason why milk and milk products have been a staple in this world for a massively long time.

Oh and I did actually pretty much 'give up' the amounts I ate before. I have to admit (once again- sue me fucker), I ate something with cheese on it.

All my orginal point was- was that this crap aint' as good as it seems. Sometimes you need to lay it down on the extreme end to get any recognition- or stir any argument. We need argument for thing's to get set in motion... and for any awareness to be hightened.

I didn't see any arguments about dairy in here, already- so i figured why the hell not.

You need to settle down.

markusgoneawry said:
Crazy?

I think you all are crazy...

Do you know how silly you sound when you start a thread talking about how harmful milk is, posting links to some very-anti milk webs ites and claims.....only to post about 20 times how there are all these things you CANT live without? You tell me all the bad things in milk yet you will not give up butter or pizza or yogurt or cheese sticks.

There is a reason why milk and milk products have been a staple in this world for a massively long time.

There is also a reason potato chips, taco bell, and alcohol exist in the world.
They are good.
Doesnt mean they are good for us.
Of course we all love dairy, its tasty, and like anything good, its hard to just give up. Just because someone sees the bad in something, doesnt mean they can give it up all at once.

everythinginside said:
Oh and I did actually pretty much 'give up' the amounts I ate before. I have to admit (once again- sue me fucker), I ate something with cheese on it.

All my orginal point was- was that this crap aint' as good as it seems. Sometimes you need to lay it down on the extreme end to get any recognition- or stir any argument. We need argument for thing's to get set in motion... and for any awareness to be hightened.

I didn't see any arguments about dairy in here, already- so i figured why the hell not.

You need to settle down.

You were just pointing out the bad...because dairy has been held up on some kind of pedastle (sp?) in society...

I dont personally think its evil..there are much worse things..I just dont think its as good as its made out to be, and can be hard on the digestive track.

Cutting back is better than nothing! I see no reason not to indulge in some cheese or a little ice cream now and again..I know I do. =D

Sorry for sounding harsh I guess I just don't understadn this thread, is to debate the nutritional quality of cows milk in humans or is it a support group to "quit" milk.

If this is a thread to debate the nutritional quality of milk, please post some scientific studies and references....not just to websites, as the websites you posted before I do not believe have any scientific references.

As for me personally, while I have never had any problem with milk, and have enjoyed it on numerous occasions I have heard of the whole anti-milk thing. It seems like a reasonable topic to debate.

I find the idea of a natural drink that has a great blend of the most useful proteins, low GI, large amount of water mixed with a small amount of chocolate to be a great post workout drink. It seems to cover all bases.

^no need to apologize really. But since you did, I will too. I'm well aware of how my first posting came off; It was kind of a spur of the moment kind of thing, filled with many contradictions.

I guess I should say my point-of-view has evolved after hearing what some pretty knowledgable people already knew about the subject. I've never been much of a health-nut.. but I figure it can't hurt to explore.

Just a thought-though, and I'm too lazy to find a reference right now- but a high protein diet can do harm- if it's not balanced. Milk is high in protein (definately) and high in calcium.. however, if I'm not mistaken, protein pulls calcium out of your body, so if you rely on nothing but dairy/meats for your protein/calcium, you could actually end up with a negative calcium level. Correct me-someone, if i'm wrong?

Last edited:
What you say is true if you believe thatdairy is a poor source for calcium..

Here are a couple interesting studies I came across..

Clin Calcium. 2001;11(2):157-62. Related Articles, Links

[Dietary Calcium and Women's Health.]

Yukawa H, Suzuki T.

Department of Epidemiology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology.

Among the many possible contributors to primary osteoporosis, calcium deficiency is currently considered to be most important. The average calcium intake of the Japanese, by national nutrition survey, however, is now around 568 mg/day which is much lower in women than the recommended dietary allowances of calcium proposed by the Ministry of Health and Welfare, and than those in western countries. Milk is a food with a high ratio of nutrients to energy, and it is also primarily identified as an excellent source of calcium. The significance of dietary calcium intake and milk consumption for bone health of women should be provided by mass health education and individual guidance in a paractice of public health.

Am Coll Nutr. 2003 Oct;22(5):340-56. Related Articles, Links

Calcium intake trends and health consequences from childhood through adulthood.

Nicklas TA.

USDA/ARS Children's Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA. [email protected]

Issues involving low calcium intake and dairy product consumption are currently the focus of much debate and discussion at both the scientific and lay community levels. In this review, we examine the following major areas of interest: (1). the role of calcium intake and dairy product consumption in chronic diseases, (2). nutritional qualities of milk and other dairy products, (3). trends in calcium intake and dairy product consumption, (4). current status of calcium intakes and dairy product consumption in children, (5). tracking of calcium intake and diary product consumption, (6). the impact of school meal participation on calcium intake and dairy product consumption, (7). concerns related to calcium-fortified foods and beverages and (8). factors influencing children's milk consumption. To date, the findings indicate that calcium intake and dairy product consumption have beneficial roles in a variety of chronic diseases; dairy products provide an abundant source of vitamins and minerals; calcium intakes of children have increased over time, yet intakes are not meeting the current adequate intake (AI) calcium recommendations; dairy consumption has decreased, and soft drink consumption and, possibly, consumption of calcium-fortified products have increased; consumption of dairy products have a positive nutritional impact on diets of children, particularly from school meals, and there are many factors which influence children's milk consumption, all of which need to be considered in our efforts to promote adequate calcium intakes by children. Based on this review, areas that need immediate attention and future research imperatives are summarized in an effort to further our understanding on what we already know and what we need to know to promote healthier eating habits early in life.

markusgoneawry said:
Sorry for sounding harsh I guess I just don't understadn this thread, is to debate the nutritional quality of cows milk in humans or is it a support group to "quit" milk.

If this is a thread to debate the nutritional quality of milk, please post some scientific studies and references....not just to websites, as the websites you posted before I do not believe have any scientific references.

As for me personally, while I have never had any problem with milk, and have enjoyed it on numerous occasions I have heard of the whole anti-milk thing. It seems like a reasonable topic to debate.

I find the idea of a natural drink that has a great blend of the most useful proteins, low GI, large amount of water mixed with a small amount of chocolate to be a great post workout drink. It seems to cover all bases.

Well, markus, to clearify the anti-milk's debate, the reasons are usually along the lines of the following:

1. Milk is a great source of nutrition.. for calves and babies! Nature intended for this drink to be consumed at early stages of development, where the calcium taken in would not be leeched by the protein. So check with your nutritionists first before assuming that it's right for you.. but if you do, by all means indulge.

2. A strong argument against milk doesn't debate its natural qualities, but the unnatural way it is produced in today's environments. In dairy farms, the cows are confined sheltered little stables/cages, where they are given a FDA-approved growth hormone which will let them develop milk at a rate of 10x faster than normal (these hormones are under debate as to whether or not they affect hormones in female humans). The cow's udders grow to a size where most of them drag on the ground, and 80% of the cows develop an udder infection, usually the worst side effects going into the milk itself: blood and pus.

3. Milk contains harmful amounts of cholesterol and saturated fats. Of course, whether or not these are the causes of heart disease and stroke is debatable.. but we can always take a look at the statistics of vegans who develop these conditions in contrast. In that case, it would support that claim.

StagnantReaction said:

3. Milk contains harmful amounts of cholesterol and saturated fats. Of course, whether or not these are the causes of heart disease and stroke is debatable.. but we can always take a look at the statistics of vegans who develop these conditions in contrast. In that case, it would support that claim.

True, but its not hard to find fat free milk. I was raised on the stuff and cant even stand the taste of whole milk.

i dont drink milk and havnt for years becasue of the hormones.

if you want a good source of dairy try Stoney Feild or Brown Cow organic yogurt. its absolutely delicious and full of enzymes and live cultures.

as far as butter goes, id never even consider cooking with it. olive oil is where it at.

Click Here to See the Profile for MynameisnotDejaClick here to Send MynameisnotDeja a Private MessageFind more posts by MynameisnotDejaAdd MynameisnotDeja to your buddy listView Bluelight Journal!
Vegans tend to have much healthier lifestyles overall, so saying lack of dairy consumption is a main or even contributing factor isnt really possible.

I haven't had dairy products at all for about 2 weeks now. However, I am not getting much calcium:(. I didn't plan this out wisely. I just eliminated dairy without concern for how I'm going to get calcium and vitamin d. I take a multivitamin but that's not enough.

How about soymilk? Made from soybeans, not a COW. Will a glass or 2 a day give me enough calcium?

Status
Not open for further replies.