Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Migraines vs HPPD

Mycallways

Greenlighter
My ? HPPD Flare...

I wonder if I can pick your brain. It seems like you all have some sort if grasp on what improves/exacerbates people's symptoms.

I'm a 33 yo, 15 year "recovered" HPPDer. No specific identifiable trip that caused it. I did LSD ~ 4 times, ecstasy ~ 5 times, mushrooms twice, and smoked a lot of weed before it onset. I recall 1 very bad trip on mushrooms but my symptoms did not start right afterwards. I do remember taking a gravity bong hit that caused a panic attack and legit, immediate flashback that may have triggered everything. Who knows?!

Anyways, I was initially treated with Klonopin and SSRIs 15+ years ago. It seemed to help, so I went off to college and figured my problem would eventually resolve. I continued smoking pot throughout college and for years afterwards. I did have occasional phases of despair and hyper focus on my visuals and derealization, but all in all, I was stable on Paxil, alcohol, and pot.

Time passed and I grew a bit stagnant with my life. Was working in a restaurant despite my college degree, partying all night, and just going nowhere. I abstained from any hallucinogen use by the way.
I decided that weed wasn't helping my lack of motivation, so I quit, cold turkey. I focused my sites on grad school, took my prerequisites, interviewed, and was accepted. I moved to a new city, met all new friends, and became a professional in the medical field.
There were times that I resorted to focusing on the symptoms that used to plague me so much (trails, floaters, negative afterimages). This was usually when I was very anxious about a clinical rotation or something, but it would pass. I was taking a dose of Paxil 15 mg. When I was VERY anxious, I would have my psychiatrist Rx me some 0.5 mg Klonopin to take as needed, but this was infrequent.

I have been working for the past 2 years and have had minimal focus on my visual symptoms. It has been as though they weren't even noticeable unless I actively searched for them. Occasional I would obsess over my floaters, but otherwise, all was stable. Felt calm. Considered myself cured.

Things changed about 2 months ago.

I had been dealing with an "on again, off again" long distance relationship that caused a ton of stress in my life. I was not eating, not sleeping. I was obsessing on social media, constantly asking friends for advice, thinking of the worst case scenario. That lasted for about 2 months. I resorted to taking Klonopin ocasionally to help fall asleep. I probably took 0.25 to 0.5 mg every third night for a month. It definitely helped. The entire time I was dealing with the break up, I didn't ever dwell on visual issues.

Things calmed down with my anxiety but I was still beside myself. During Christmas time, while home with family and old friends, I was having some drinks and decided that I'd join my friends in a joint. It had been 8 years since I'd smoked pot. It was fine. Didn't have anxiety or anything. Felt fine the next day. A few days later, another group of friends were smoking, and I figured, "screw it", I'll smoke again. Again, no big deal. Felt fine afterwards. A couple days later, I smoked a third time. This time I was very high. Didn't panic or anything, but needed to go straight to sleep. I remember waking the next day a bit foggy, in fact, for a few days I felt regret for smoking and found myself dwelling on it, dissecting how I felt and if it caused any changes. I didn't notice any immediate alterations or exacerbations to my visual symptoms.
That was 3 months ago. I told myself I would never smoke again because I felt a bit of brain fog, perhaps some depersonalization, but nothing really visually disturbing. I did however hit a joint 1 more time while on a ski trip. Again, I didn't notice any immediate changes to my vision, at least not any severe ones.
2 months ago, I got real drunk and passed out and felt what seemed like CEVs. Since then, I have felt increasingly more spaced out, staring beyond objects, and experiencing pressure in my head. Understandably, I have grown hyper aware of all these things and began looking for visual issues. I see intense floaters constantly, enough to really affect my work. I see negative afterimages much more readily. I notice trails off of everything now. I have a daily headache that comes and goes. I still have a pressure in my head and I feel just out of it. Headlights are insanely bright and starbursting. Glare kills my eyes. I even noticed a few objects wavering when I stare at them. These symptoms all seem to be worsening despite no recent alcohol or pot.

I apologize for such long story, but I thought it necessary to give u my background.

My question is this...have you heard of weed causing this intense of a recurrence of HPPD symptoms? I can't for the life of me imagine that smoking weed a few times would cause such a drastic shift in my perception. It is affecting every aspect of my life. I am obsessing over it, thinking that I just put myself back 8 years because I was stupid. I saw you mentioned weed can aggravate HPPD. Does this mean temporarily? Permanently? If only temporary, how long have you heard it takes to normalize??

I have a history of migraine with aura and wonder if this may be some form of persistent migraine aura like visual snow, although, I don't have too much static compared to those folks.

I thought my shit was under control. To the point where I didn't even notice it. Now I'm a basket case. I take Paxil 15 mg still. Haven't had a Klonopin for over a month. I'd rather avoid taking again unless necessary. I wonder if having taking a few of those added to this recurrence. People would say the stress of the break up contributed, but I had no focus on visual symptoms when dealing with that.

Again, sorry for such a novel. I am in need of some tried and true guidance at the moment. Needless to say, I'm done with weed.
Thank you for your time.

If you don't mind me asking what exactly are your visual disturbances? I was under the impression that HPPD develops over years of heavy psychedelic use. I could be completely wrong but I think for one to develop this they would have to go through either a very very very heavy dose of psychs or use it in normal doses regularly over time.

The other question I'm going to ask might make me sound like an asshole, but it's also from my own experience.

When was the last time you were just sober. No drugs and no medications? I remember one time I was trying to quit my doctors put me on a random assortment of big pharm drugs and those themselves seems to cause more problems than my actual drug use did. The human brain is really an amazing thing as you can talk yourself into believe things that you don't even know you are talking yourself into. I remember for the longest time I told myself that I was crazy and needed antidepressants, because that was what I was told. Until I detoxed off the AD's and realized all of the symptoms I was feeling was from them. I am by NO MEANS SAYING QUIT TAKING YOUR MEDICATION. I'm just asking when was the last time you had just a clean system as maybe some of the symptoms you are feeling today could either have stemmed from them or is the cause of them.

Thanks for the reply.
I have been on an SSRI for 16 years now! Wow. It's crazy to write that down.
I hadn't touched a "hard drug" since I was 18. Stopped smoking pot 8 years ago (until smoking 4 times 3 months ago). Haven't had alcohol for 3 months now.
I've tried getting off the SSRI multiple times and it always seemed to cause worse anxiety. I would love to come off it. It seems that each time I try discontinuing it, I enter a very stressful point in my life and convince myself that I "need" to be on it. I fear that coming off it would cause me to become depressed because of the lasting visuals.
I honestly don't know what the next step is. Coming off Paxil. Starting a benzo. Starting an antiseizure med. It's like which is the lesser evil?
The fact that this all happened after just smoking a little pot is worrisome. Makes me think that it could be persistent migraines.

My question is this...have you heard of weed causing this intense of a recurrence of HPPD symptoms?

yes, it happened to me. when i had HPPD, weed would bring full-blown visuals and the disturbances would stay a bit worse for a few days.

marijuana is an often underestimated hallucinagen/psychedelic, probably so because it is a mild one and for some people, or some people at certain situations, not psychedelic at all

Everything you are describing sounds exactly like my own condition. My advice to you if you really want it to go away is to quit it ALL. for at least 6 months...

Also changing your attitude or perception about it can really go a long way. If you look at it as a blessing instead of a curse, you can actually be happy for yourself. You can live with HPPD and instead of fighting it or resisting it just view it as some kind of gift.

Thanks for your input! I have zero problem giving up all substances for 6 months. As I said, I hadn't smoked pot for 8 years and it was more of a 'momentary lapse of reason'. I used to drink plenty of alcohol but have given that a break for the past few months.
The only thing I use is a morning coffee. I am on Paxil 15 mg daily for anxiety.
This is a "flare" that seems worse than my original hppd onset. It scares me. It interferes with life. The light sensitivity causes headaches everyday.

As someone who has used psychedelics heavily, I've never experienced symptoms of HPPD (excluding the occasional tracer a few day later) so I can't comment directly, but from what I read weed is what people who experience this often call a trigger. I think you might be onto something with your migraine and my intuition say there is a correlation, but you'll have to dig into it some. Consider that ergot compounds (related to LSD) are used to treat cluster headaches and migraines and you have this pre-existing condition, so perhaps it would be useful if others with migraines who have used LSD can comment on whether they have also experienced symptoms of HPPD.

Dihydroergotamine and ergotamine belong to the group of medicines known as ergot alkaloids. They are used to treat severe, throbbing headaches, such as migraine and cluster headaches.

i don't think there's much correlation between HPPD and migraines other than sometimes people report visual disturbances before a headache episode

it's just a coincidence really, the target of some headache medications is a serotonin receptor (1b/d, located in the cranial arteries) just like the target of psychedelics (the 2a subtype though), so it's not really crazy that hallucinogens and migraine medications are similar molecules, and that some hallucinogens have potential in reducing migraines, such as LSD iirc, being a 1b/d and 2a agonist

i don't think there's much correlation between HPPD and migraines other than sometimes people report visual disturbances before a headache episode

Appreciate your answer. I'm not knowledgable enough on neurochemistry to chime in, but I knew a guy who suffered from cluster headaches that would joke about taking LSD (it wasn't LSD) to treat his completely debilitating condition. Cluster headaches is a condition that often drives people to opiate addiction or suicide. It's really severe. I wish he was reachable so I could ask him. His medicine really worked (I don't remember what it was called), but was then taken off the market. He suffered tremendously after that. Last I heard from him his condition went away, but it drove on a really difficult journey to heal himself. He's an inspiration. He also uses psychedelics regularly (he's an ordained peyote shaman). So anyways, I see a pattern but don't have enough knowledge to state an opinion, so appreciate your answer.

Appreciate your answer. I'm not knowledgable enough on neurochemistry to chime in, but I knew a guy who suffered from cluster headaches that would joke about taking LSD (it wasn't LSD) to treat his completely debilitating condition. Cluster headaches is a condition that often drives people to opiate addiction or suicide. It's really severe. I wish he was reachable so I could ask him. His medicine really worked (I don't remember what it was called), but was then taken off the market. He suffered tremendously after that. Last I heard from him his condition went away, but it drove on a really difficult journey to heal himself. He's an inspiration. He also uses psychedelics regularly (he's an ordained peyote shaman). So anyways, I see a pattern but don't have enough knowledge to state an opinion, so appreciate your answer.

I knew a girl who took daily medication to prevent the occurrence of migraine headaches (don't remember the med unfortunately). She would experience headaches nearly every day without her medication, but for weeks after using psychedelics (lsd, psilocybin, 2-ce, etc.) she could stop taking her meds without any problems. She was really surprised by that side effect since she didn't know anything about the interaction between psychedelics/migraines.

I was amazed that a street drug taken once or twice a month could have the same effects as a prescribed medicine taken every day, but I realize now that a lot of people with migraines have that experience.

I came across the following link clusterbuster for some information on cluster headaches. This is slightly off-topic to HPPD and migraines but lots of info on psychedelics and cluster headaches. If a single dose of LSD could relieve a condition so debilitating for up to a month, that's powerful medicine. Did someone say "so why is this schedule 1?" Makes you wonder.

I also found some resources on migraines w/aura and HPPD. According to this source, there is a correlation between the two conditions, though I don't know how good the quality of this information is: migraine-aura

Last edited by a moderator: