• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Midazolam and Codeine

rayraythrowaway123

Greenlighter
Hi there

I was just wondering if someone could give me some information on the drug Midazolam for conscious sedation. Im having this via IV in a couple of weeks time and they have advised that I don’t take any codeine phosphate or diazepam 24 hours before and after. I will be fine with the Diazepam but I am concerned about feeling withdrawal effects from not taking the codeine. I have been using codeine for a few years now and take about 50-60mg four times a day. Its mainly the 24 hours before that worries me.

Thanks in advance

I'd say don't take anything 12 hours before or the sedation might not be conscious as midazolam is one of the more potent benzos specially in iv form

There's nothing to be afraid of. The Harm Reduction side of me says follow the directions and take no central nervous system depressants. The other side...

Anesthesiologists are well-trained and versed in the type of work that they do. Are they giving you just Midazolam (Versed) or are they doing a twilight sleep? Typically Opioids are involved in one form or another. When I got my wisdom teeth out it was Nitrous Oxide with Fenanyl/Midazolam through an IV. I personally don't think there is any major issue with taking your usual, prescribed Codeine. I believe that if your nervous system or respiration are depressed, your anesthesiologist will just adjust the dose accordingly.

Nobody is going to know if you used Codeine within the 24 hour period unless they conduct a serious analysis of your bodily fluids in a quest to find out. If you can handle it and you're not withdrawing, then try to make it through for your own peace of mind. If not, perhaps consider taking half of your dose. The ball is really in your court on this one. At any rate, I do not believe you will experience any incredible pain or misery.

There's nothing to be afraid of. The Harm Reduction side of me says follow the directions and take no central nervous system depressants. The other side...

Anesthesiologists are well-trained and versed in the type of work that they do. Are they giving you just Midazolam (Versed) or are they doing a twilight sleep? Typically Opioids are involved in one form or another. When I got my wisdom teeth out it was Nitrous Oxide with Fenanyl/Midazolam through an IV. I personally don't think there is any major issue with taking your usual, prescribed Codeine. I believe that if your nervous system or respiration are depressed, your anesthesiologist will just adjust the dose accordingly.

Nobody is going to know if you used Codeine within the 24 hour period unless they conduct a serious analysis of your bodily fluids in a quest to find out. If you can handle it and you're not withdrawing, then try to make it through for your own peace of mind. If not, perhaps consider taking half of your dose. The ball is really in your court on this one. At any rate, I do not believe you will experience any incredible pain or misery.

Thank you for your reply. The forms I have been only state about me having conscious sedation using Midazolam, does this answer your question?