• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Micron filters...

JimmineyCrikit

Greenlighter
Okay, is it just me, or is all this "use a micron filter" advice tantamount to no advice at all?? I just spent hours looking up where a person could actually acquire these AND the small # of other things necessary to make them effective. And almost all I could find were shipments that cost between $1-200. Even if you piece it together from different places. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but the people giving this "advice" seem to be assuming that most users will have access to a credit card, several hours of time for research, and a computer that can be connected to the internet for that long (i.e. no using McDonald's wifi to do some quick browsing on an out-of-service cell phone). So am I wrong somehow, or does the use of micron filters require 1- parents with a bank account you can mooch off of, 2- A high-paying job inaccessible to most addicts, or 3- a sugar daddy/mamma to just buy you things whenever you want??
Again, please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as harm reduction goes it hardly seems like it's worth mentioning, considering that 99% of all addicts will have no way to actually access these things. Granted, I think it's a great idea on a highly theoretical level, or if you just happen to be lucky enough to be one of those highly privileged addicts, but most people from that demographic aren't injecting drugs in the first place and if they are, they tend to have access to cleaner products to begin with. It all sounded so good to me when I first started learning about it, but the more I look it up the more telling addicts to use a micron filter is like telling homeless people to "get a job"... it completely ignores any of the realities associated with making that possible, and it causes a lot more harm than it reduces. Maybe say, "if you're white and at least middle class, use a micron filter, otherwise just ignore because this is not for you"?? And once again, I would love to be proven wrong here.....

They are called prepaid debit cards.... There's one from the server company that has no service charge

OP, I'm assuming you're young, since you're talking about your parents' bank accounts.

I feel like I could type a lot here, so I will keep it as concise as I can.

I personally don't IV. I don't plan on it. I know people who do. It's not a life or habit that I want, however I don't judge those who do choose it. If I'm correct in that you're young and living with your parents, I would suggest that you not IV. This is not a "just say no" website, but in this case, I am advising you to "just say no" to the needle. If you're already hell-bent on doing hard drugs like heroin, please choose a safer ROA. I doubt you will listen to that advice, but I had to say it.

Secondly, don't let the media, and/or horror stories from authority figures in your life, dictate your worldview, and your perception of drug users. Some heroin IV users end up on the street, yes. The ones I know don't. They have jobs. They have bank accounts. They have internet access. Therefore, they can order Harm Reduction materials. Hell, just the fact that we have so many IV users that post on this website is one indication that they're not all living on the streets with no internet access. We have educated, well-spoken, successful people on this website, that also like to do drugs. And some of them IV.

Is telling a homeless person to use a micron filter going to be effective? No, not really.

Is telling a 30 year old white collar bachelor, who wants to take the plunge into IV-Land... is advising him to use a micron good advice? I certainly think so. I would honestly advise him not to use the needle at all, but if he's going to try it, we might as well educate him on how to do it safely. Know what I mean?

Edit - One last note, regarding the end of your post. I would never dispense advice in a manner such as "if you're middle class, do this, if you're homeless, don't do this". I think safety applies to everybody, and it's good information to spread, regardless if every listener has the means to follow the advice or not. How would you suggest we differentiate? If somebody is asking for advice, should we start by saying "hold on there partner, before I can give you advice, can you tell me your skin color, current annual income, net worth, and whether you own/rent a home, or do you sleep behind a dumpster?" - Now I'm being a little facetious here, but do you understand the point I'm trying to make?

Last edited:
OP, I'm assuming you're young, since you're talking about your parents' bank accounts.

I feel like I could type a lot here, so I will keep it as concise as I can.

I personally don't IV. I don't plan on it. I know people who do. It's not a life or habit that I want, however I don't judge those who do choose it. If I'm correct in that you're young and living with your parents, I would suggest that you not IV. This is not a "just say no" website, but in this case, I am advising you to "just say no" to the needle. If you're already hell-bent on doing hard drugs like heroin, please choose a safer ROA. I doubt you will listen to that advice, but I had to say it.

Secondly, don't let the media, and/or horror stories from authority figures in your life, dictate your worldview, and your perception of drug users. Some heroin IV users end up on the street, yes. The ones I know don't. They have jobs. They have bank accounts. They have internet access. Therefore, they can order Harm Reduction materials. Hell, just the fact that we have so many IV users that post on this website is one indication that they're not all living on the streets with no internet access. We have educated, well-spoken, successful people on this website, that also like to do drugs. And some of them IV.

Is telling a homeless person to use a micron filter going to be effective? No, not really.

Is telling a 30 year old white collar bachelor, who wants to take the plunge into IV-Land... is advising him to use a micron good advice? I certainly think so. I would honestly advise him not to use the needle at all, but if he's going to try it, we might as well educate him on how to do it safely. Know what I mean?

Edit - One last note, regarding the end of your post. I would never dispense advice in a manner such as "if you're middle class, do this, if you're homeless, don't do this". I think safety applies to everybody, and it's good information to spread, regardless if every listener has the means to follow the advice or not. How would you suggest we differentiate? If somebody is asking for advice, should we start by saying "hold on there partner, before I can give you advice, can you tell me your skin color, current annual income, net worth, and whether you own/rent a home, or do you sleep behind a dumpster?" - Now I'm being a little facetious here, but do you understand the point I'm trying to make?

Hahahahahaha well I'm a 32yr old blue collar bachelor who doesn't have access to his parents bank accounts, or a crazy high-paying job (although half the year I make pretty good money), and currently no sugar mamma. And sure, I get that there are people out there who are very white-collar out there that also use drugs. I noted that in my original post. But my point, I suppose, is two-pronged. Firstly, there are definitely less people who are "successful" who IV hard drugs. That's not just an assumption. You can prove it pretty easily. It's quantifiable in several ways. Often, people are "driven to" the kind of drugs we are talking about, as opposed to say, psychedelics. Secondly, when we're talking about harm reduction we absolutely ARE talking about certain demographics more than others. Because it's harm reduction, it's able to to do the most good when it's applicable within the communities where the most harm is caused. So now, let's mix those two things together: people with less economic means, and people who are disadvantaged in other ways (i.e. homeless or minorities) are demographically not only much more likely to use these drugs, but much less likely to do them safely. I'm not suggesting that we ask every person who wants advice what the color of their underwear is. What I am saying is that blithely throwing out information without even indicating that your advice might be very difficult for most people to follow is just going to have the effect of making people feel bad about themselves for not doing it, as if it is their fault, when clearly it's not.. and if I'm wrong, and there is a way to obtain those things on a budget, then by all means dispel my ignorance. I feel like I also have to squash the "internet forums aren't for those people" argument right now. Even the most homeless af person I've ever met (and I know quite a few) has internet access. This is the information age. And the 2017, not the 1994 part of it. So... yes, internet forums are totally for homeless people. I could actually show you several which are specifically for people who are or have been homeless.
I saw one guy in a post on here actually say "that's why you should just use ampules". Like, "Oh my God, why didn't I just pick up some ampules of pure morphine instead of trying to break down this pill that I understand could be so dangerous that I took the time to go on this harm reduction forum?". Saying stuff like that is literally tantamount to saying "just don't do drugs" on a harm reduction forum. It completely misses all the points. And on that note, if you want to tell me not to pick up a needle you're about 17yrs too late. And if you want to tell me not to pick up a heroin habit, you're about 12yrs too late so... yeah.

Definitely just found them for like 3 dollars

They are called prepaid debit cards.... There's one from the server company that has no service charge

Hmmm... didn't know bluelight had prepaids that's pretty legit. I've used vanillas & all that stuff before so I know what you mean. Still, mailing addresses where u can receive packages w/o having to verify what the contents are is a thing. And the prohibitive costs that seem to be associated with those things is another. I'm not saying it doesn't seem awesome or smart. I'm saying that so many people on here seem to act like it's the "only way" when it doesn't seem to be anything that's actually practical to tell someone who wants to break down this pill right now but also doesn't want to have to die just because someone else thought that a desire to feel good is worth being murdered for (I can't see some of those fillers as anything but). I mean, even telling someone that different types of "cotton" (q-tips, cig filters, cotton balls, etc) all have different fiber sizes, so when u pack them in tightly they can have more of an effect, seems much more practical than "just use microns bro". I've wound up a cotton super tight and pressed it down HARD when I was drawing a shot, and turned a cloudy blue liquid I couldn't see thru into something clear that was hardly blue at all. Huge difference, and you could never achieve that by just running it thru multiple cottons. At least not without using so many that u wouldn't have any drugs left either. I guess I'm just saying "why not offer practical advice?". You can still mention other things, sure, just try to point out like, any amount of the complications at all..

Yes, technically speaking it is a good idea to use 'em. I've heard of certain dispensaries (in Canada, I believe?) giving out very small micron filters which can be inserted into a syringe barrel, for people who shoot pills. I thought that sounded interesting.

If you're disadvantaged you could do what I always did and use the good ol' q-tip method of filtration. Not "ideal" but then again blasting powerful drugs through yourself isn't ideal either lol, as you alluded to previously.

I will say this, though: not once in the 5 years or so that I've spent interacting with the hard drug using community have I met someone (outside of this website) who used one or even knew what a "micron filter" was. Not even once.

My apologies for the completely incorrect assumption. It was the “parent’s bank account” statement that led me down the wrong line of thinking. One day I’ll learn not to make assumptions and make myself look like an idiot.

I don’t disagree with anything you said in your second post.

Yes, technically speaking it is a good idea to use 'em. I've heard of certain dispensaries (in Canada, I believe?) giving out very small micron filters which can be inserted into a syringe barrel, for people who shoot pills. I thought that sounded interesting.

If you're disadvantaged you could do what I always did and use the good ol' q-tip method of filtration. Not "ideal" but then again blasting powerful drugs through yourself isn't ideal either lol, as you alluded to previously.

I will say this, though: not once in the 5 years or so that I've spent interacting with the hard drug using community have I met someone (outside of this website) who used one or even knew what a "micron filter" was. Not even once.

This exactly, when I was shooting I never used anything other than a q tip

I purchase between 10 & 20 at a time and the only one's more than a $1 a piece are the Whatmans or triple layer built in pre-filter one's like Omicron but that's not important just yet. The filter membrane can be confusing too but anything besides hydrophobic PTFE is fine. CA- Cellulose acetate, PVDF- Polyvinylidene fluoride, PES- Poly Ether Sulfone or even Nylon are all hydrophillic and better suited for your purposes. 0.22um will filter out bacteria so best to go with that over the 0.45um. 25mm is the usual diameter, 13mm clog fast.
The only other thing you need is a syringe with a luer-lok connector. They are an industry standard connector and very inexpensive. Packing a syringe tightly with cotton makes a good pre-filter and will increase the life of the micron filters.

I've been a user mainly of pills like old formula oxycontin & MS Contins for 12 years and 6 of those were without micron filters.. I filtered with packed cotton in a syringe only but began to notice tiny microscopic "specks" in my vision which I later found out is common with long term H, Coke, pill users using minimal filtration like cotton. They are not like cataracts or anything but still a near constant reminder of irreparable damage done, at least damage I can easily spot besides tracks. Please take the time to at least attempt to acquire some. They arrive in a small manila envelope with no markings of whats inside.

:O kk breaking the BLUA!?!? You know sourcing is not aloud even for HR supplies

As said above, posting sources for HR supplies is now permitted AS LONG as it carefully avoids coming across as advertising or promoting any particular source, which most certainly would be an infringement of the BLUA and OD guidelines.

For the sake of clarity, we'll look to update the guidelines shortly in order to directly confirm this position.

Is mentioning brand names that are available and good quality advertising? It isnt really as we are not marketing reps for a company and dont sell them through here.

If anyone appears as if they are commercially flogging things thats obv not good but personal recommendations should be ok?

Micron filters are used for many purposes and not just drugs.

People wont bother with them if they arent readily available. Its hard enough getting the fresh needle message across.

I'm not one for touting particular brands but the OP seemed close to giving up on the whole idea of Micron filters from the very beginning. The Whatman's can cost upward of $14 a piece and would discourage many from looking further for the ones that cost about a dollar. I don't have anything against sterifilts but coming from Dorchester / UK can take a while and it also says this at the bottom of the web site "Overseas orders may have to contain a customs notification declaring the contents". Ebay / Amazon takes about 48 -72 hours and IMO micron filters are better than SF's anyways. Assuming the OP's in the states that is..

Thanks everyone for all of the help. It still seems highly impractical to me from a day-to-day perspective, but I ordered a few just for use in the more high-risk pills and whatnot that I was going to use anyway..