• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Miami Man Contracts Guillain-Barré Syndrome, Nearly Dies After Getting Flu Shot

They make a new flu shot each year.

The flu season "circles the globe" to speak, and by picking a virus (actually 3 or 4 from a few places) from somewhere else (maybe Australia) and making them into a vaccine, by the time the vaccine is ready and distributed, that virus has reached North America and it is still similar enough that it provides immunity. They do the same thing, but in reverse for flu vaccines in different parts of the world.

@Ro4eva: Close, not quite. They isolate the viruses from patients , see which ones are virulent and/or common, and then grow in the chicken eggs, and kill the viruses using a chemical (I think it's formaldehyde) and/or separate the surface antigens on the viral envelope from the rest of the virus. That gives you immunity, but the virus is dead and/or broken into pieces and not all present in the vaccine.

Does herd immunity to one strain cause other strains to proliferate? Does it speed the rate of mutation?

Not asking anyone in particular, just putting the questions out there.

rangrz i never implied that one would die from the vaccine. i said the vaccine is stupid because its like buying insurance for your immune system. if youre healthy and shit, there shouldnt be any problems.

Does herd immunity to one strain cause other strains to proliferate? Does it speed the rate of mutation?

Not asking anyone in particular, just putting the questions out there.

AFAIK/IIRC: No and/or it has the opposite effect. Due to the way that viral mutations occur, the rate of mutation is the highest when one has rapid transmission of virus from one host to another to another etc. This gives the virus the most chance for each very small, stochastic, mutation to be selected for/against. With minimal or no transmission, it does not even get the chance to do that.

The best example of that is zoonosis of things like SIV from Chimps and sooty mangabeys--->HIV or Rinderpest from Cows-----> Measles. Where the original virus was not really pathogenic to humans, with very rapid serial transmission, they wound up becoming quite nasty in short order.

People have adverse reactions to drugs all the time. It doesn't mean that they aren't safe for 99.99999% of the population.

Shit happens. It fucking sucks.

my sister became extremely ill after getting a flu shot this season. i know its possible to have flu like symptoms after getting the shot, but she had full blown flu symptoms and it lasted for about a week. i can remember having the flu, it sucks balls. i think i was green for 3 days, white for 3 days, grey for 5 days, then slowly back to normal skin tone. i dont like the idea of being injected with a virus, weaked, dead or otherwise. plus im pretty sure i had just stopped shooting dope and had gotten on methadone a month befor ei got the flu last time....sometime in 09 i think.

0bf7966213ef249ba128f583aadebfad.jpg

Notice the difference, across all the diseases. Vaccines work, because their based around science, and science works, bitches.