• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Miami Man Contracts Guillain-Barré Syndrome, Nearly Dies After Getting Flu Shot

Bluelight Crew
http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2013/02/miami_man_contracts_guillain-b.php

Three months ago, Michael Stec could bench-press 275 pounds. Now the 56-year-old struggles to walk, gripping tightly to the parallel bars at Mercy Hospital, his legs buckling underneath him like broken stilts.

Most people never know how they get sick. But Stec says he can pinpoint the exact moment. He even has a receipt for it: a $32 influenza vaccine from a local CVS Pharmacy.

"Something is wrong with this flu shot," he says from his hospital bed, his tracheotomy scar still visible.

Stec, who asked to go by his wife's maiden name because he works for a government agency that hasn't authorized him to speak, was diagnosed with a rare neurological disease called Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) November 11 -- eight days after receiving the flu shot.

"At first I felt a tingling in my fingers and toes, but I didn't think anything of it," he says. By the end of the day, however, he knew something was seriously wrong.

"The next morning he couldn't walk," says his wife, Isabelle. "He was staggering around like he was drunk."

When Stec began having trouble breathing, she dialed 911. Stec passed out shortly after paramedics arrived. Stec's diaphragm shut down an hour after he was rushed to Mercy. Doctors cut a hole in his throat and put him on a breathing machine. Then his nervous system went haywire. Several times Isabelle thought he would die.

Three months later, Stec is recovering. Last week he took his first, shaky step. His outrage, however, is strong. "I cannot believe that the U.S. government would allow such a thing to be on the market," he says.

This season has, in fact, seen unprecedented advertising for flu vaccines, which are a booming industry in the United States. Both the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and CVS Pharmacy do warn people of the risk of contracting GBS. But the warning is vaguely written in fine print: "If there is a risk of GBS from current flu vaccines, it would be no more than one or two cases per million people vaccinated."

"CVS/pharmacy is committed to safe vaccination practices," a spokesman says. "The low risk associated with vaccinations and GBS is in no way related to CVS/pharmacy specifically."

The CDC says the minute risk of GBS is worth it. "You have to look at the whole package of risk and benefit," says Dr. Claudia Vellozzi, deputy director of the CDC's Immunization Safety Office. The flu kills an average of 36,000 Americans per year, she points out, and contracting GBS from a vaccine is extremely rare.

Stec questions that logic, however. "You can risk getting paralyzed, or you can risk a couple of weeks with the sniffles," he says. "How can you put this in comparison?"

He believes there are more victims like him than the CDC and Big Pharma admit. "They say the chances are one in a million," Stec says. "I think there are more and they are hiding the statistics."

Stec says it will be months before he can return to work. He may never fully recover and is considering filing a lawsuit in "vaccine court."

"This is agony," he says. "People should know that before getting the shot."

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2013/02/miami_man_contracts_guillain-b.php

Wow. It was probably just like any other day for this guy when he got that shot. He should be thankful that he is still alive, and has a supportive wife by his side.

Poor guy... Essentially, put his trust in the hands of the FDA only to nearly die of an adverse reaction.

I'm not some hardcore conspiracy theorist, however I do agree with the victim in that there are probably a lot more similar incidents involving the flu shot than there are officially reported.

Agree with above posters and OP wholeheartedly

If this is true, of course every high power rich motherfuck in charge will deny deny deny

Unless you're completely ignorant as to how the body works e.g. staying hydrated etc the flu is harmless 99.9% of the time

Why risk it? The media makes the flu out to be a horrible affliction, it's all over the news in winter months, I just don't understand, I don't get it

Most people I know who have tried getting the flu shot end up becoming immuno-compromised for that flu season, including my father.

I wholeheartedly believe that the whistleblowing research on the flu shot has been suppressed by the politically and financially powerful. You can pretty much only find stories like this in blogs. The mainstream media does not generally report it, and most of the research claims that the flu shot is harmless. There is obviously a dangerous contradiction happening between upper level reporting and what the common people report.

This poison will never enter my body.

Personally speaking I don't think the vaccine is worth the day of discomfort I get from it...I have a compromised immune system and still don't exactly know what the flue is like.....never had it or at least never knew about it if I did.
Sure I get colds from time to time but the people I know who've had influenza speak of it like it's pure misery. I think they're just wimps.
I hope this story gets more coverage with the medical field starting to require employees to get the vaccine.

Why would anyone get a flu shot? Correct me if I'm wrong that's for a normal flu, not some rare form of disease going by the name "flu", right?

I've never received the flu shot before... ever. And I am so glad that I refused it year after year, especially after reading this article. I always had a bad feeling about being injected with a "dead" strain of the influenza virus. Poor guy.

GBS is such a rare side effect from the flu vaccine. It's one or maybe two cases out of billions of people vaccinated yearly, and yes it has been a documented side effect that's been known about for decades but it's a very rare side effect and not a major risk or a reason not to get a vaccine. Most people will be fine if they get the flu vaccine. It's your choice not to get it and get sick from the flu. For the man or woman who posted here who has the compromised immune system they even recommend people who are HIV+ to get a flu shot. I have friends who are HIV+ and who have been poz for decades and they still get the flu shot and they are fine. I've gotten flu vaccines and I am fine as are billions of other people who have gotten them over the decades. The flu vaccine and other vaccines are not some poison as people who do not know anything on here will claim. I went to the original blogging and clearly the "nurse" who posted about how he/she was fired from their job for refusing a flu shot is someone who if they actually were once employed by a hospital should not be working at one at all, be working with the public, or call themselves a medical "professional" at all. The flu shot is a dead virus. Only the nasal mist that they mainly give to children has a live and severely weakened strain of the virus. People who refuse the flu shot because of reasons like "OMG OMG OMG it puts me into misery for a day or a few!" are the pussies. If you are getting sick after you had the flu shot you probably already were sick with a cold before you got the vaccination.

Last edited:
Most people I know who have tried getting the flu shot end up becoming immuno-compromised for that flu season, including my father.

I wholeheartedly believe that the whistleblowing research on the flu shot has been suppressed by the politically and financially powerful. You can pretty much only find stories like this in blogs. The mainstream media does not generally report it, and most of the research claims that the flu shot is harmless. There is obviously a dangerous contradiction happening between upper level reporting and what the common people report.

This poison will never enter my body.

My mom got it and this year already had flu once and strep as well (or flu, again). I haven't had flu that I have noticed since I had it really bad, as a child. I honestly cant remember the last time I had it.

I'd rather die than be paralyzed, I think.

How can trillions of people have gotten it if there's hardly even "billions" of people in the world?

LMAO why are a lot of people on here acting as though if you get a flu shot it's like getting Ebola? 8)

^ As you said in the other thread, I'd rather get a flu shot than smoke synthetic cannabis personally. Each time I have had the flu shot it's worked each time with no noticeable side effects, but the one time I tried some synthetic cannabis my heart rate went up, I sweated like crazy and I had a mad headache. Oh and several members of my family have had it (flu shot) also, some with chronic illness and weak immune system and it's worked for them too. I don't mind it at all. All the doctors get it at the practice I goto as well.

Why would anyone get a flu shot? Correct me if I'm wrong that's for a normal flu, not some rare form of disease going by the name "flu", right?

agreed. if you think you need a flu shot, you should probably be in line for the hypochondria vaccine, too. ive heard thats going around..

^

Really? CDC estimates between 151,000 and 494,000 deaths during 2009 from influenza. That's not a small number by any means.

How many Gullain-Barre syndrome deaths where caused by the vaccine? Think it's even close to half a million?

I guess that makes the risk of Guillain Barre irrelevant too, since that is also shown by statistical analysis of empirical data.

As it stands, you have a much better chance of being murdered, receiving the Death Penalty, being electrocuted by man made source, being hit by lightning, dying in a Tsunami, dying due to fireworks accident, dying from an insect/snake bite, a dog attack or an airplane crash than you do of developing Guillain-Barre Syndrome from the flu vaccine.

Oh right, you also have a drastically higher risk of both dying from the flu, and suffering Guillain-Barre Syndrome due to an influenza vaccine than you do the from the vaccine.

This exact thing happened to my Mother in Law and 2 other people in my town of less than 5000 people over the course of 3 years. She was unable to walk and had to relearn how to talk. This is why I have yet to get vaccinated.

I dont understand how they can make a flu "vaccine" that protects against a flu strain that is different every single year. There may even be more than one strain of flu in any one year. How do you create a vaccine for that? I guess if they can make money.

I read something the other day that Pierce Morgan that asshat made a big deal of going to get a flu shot and went to get his own. He then had the flu a week later. Lmao omg it was hilarious. What a douche. (sry i hate Morgan...asshat needs to be deported to Burma

^^ AFAIK (and I'm may be way wrong), they pick a strain which statistically has been reported to be the most virulent of recent. Then they expose either an animal or a healthy person to the virus. Then once the patient appears to be recovered from the acute phase, they take a blood sample, which is full of antibodies for that strain of influenza and begin manufacture of the vaccine on a massive scale. The problem is, that sample also still contains the virus as well, but apparently it's dead or in a weakened state. So people are injected with a combination of the virus + antibodies for it, which is why they only feel sick for a day, because their bodies don't have to develop the antibodies on its own (it takes a few to several days to develop antibodies to the influenza virus from what I understand).