Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Mexico's President Is Skipping the Big UN Drug Meeting That Mexico Demanded

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Mexico's President Is Skipping the Big UN Drug Meeting That Mexico Demanded
By Jo Tuckman and Alan Hernández
April 13, 2016

President Enrique Peña Nieto's decision not to attend a three-day special session on drug policy at the United Nations' General Assembly next week is a sign of his reluctance to seriously address a key issue for Mexico, according to decriminalization activists.

"The president is putting his head in the sand," said Lisa Sánchez of the pro-legalization group Mexico United Against Crime. "The government is sending worrying signals that it is not interested in the issue of drugs. The cancellation of the president's participation is another sign that he doesn't care and doesn't want to debate, and doesn't want to take a stand."

Peña Nieto's apparent qualms over seeking a leading role at the special session — which states its goal as the development of an "integrated and balanced strategy to counter the world drug problem" — looks, at least, a little odd.

Mexico has an obvious interest in any discussion of international drug policy, not least because of more than 100,000 deaths attributed to the country's drug wars since the government launched a major crackdown on organized crime almost a decade ago.

The need to explore other ways of controlling the cartels was widely seen as being behind Mexico's decision, in 2012, to join Colombia and Guatemala in proposing that the special session, known as UNGASS, be brought forward from its original date in 2019.

UNGASS, due to start on April 19, is also taking place at a time when Mexico is supposed to be in the midst of a paradigm-shifting national debate on drug policy triggered by a landmark supreme court ruling on marijuana in November last year.

Related: Mexico Just Took a Big Step Towards Marijuana Legalization

That ruling permitted four individuals the right to cultivate and consume the drug in any way they feel like. Four more similar rulings would require the Mexican congress to approve legislative reforms that provide these rights to all citizens.

Peña Nieto responded to the November ruling by launching a "national debate" on the issue with great fanfare. At the time he said that he personally opposed legalization, even stressing that he would never allow his own children to smoke a joint in his presence. He added, however, that he was open to having his mind changed by the debate.

Since then the interior ministry has organized public fora in five cities around the country titled "the national debate on the use of marijuana."

The formal conclusions of these discussions are due to be presented by the ministry to congress next week, probably on April 21, the day UNGASS winds up.

Statements made by interior minister Miguel Angel Osorio Chong suggest that these will revolve around a proposal to increase the threshold of the amount of marijuana an individual can legally possess from the current five grams, as well as measures to permit consumption of the drug for medical purposes.

In an interview last month, Luis Alfonso de Alba, Mexico's chief diplomat on matters of narcotic policy, confirmed that these would be the likely core of Mexico's proposals at UNGASS.

Sánchez, the activist from Mexico United Against Crime, is not impressed. She complains that the government ensured the debate was "tepid and fearful" by seeking to limit it to generalities that "would have been innovative in the 1970s" but, in today's climate, seemed like "a debate over the fact that the sun exists."

At the same time, however, she applauds a more rounded proposal to legalize marijuana for medical and scientific purposes, as well as for fun, presented to the Senate last week by conservative senator Roberto Gil. The proposal, which her organization helped write, gives the state a monopoly on the purchase of marijuana from legal and regulated producers, as well as the sale to consumers.

There are also signs that some sectors of the federal government are at least contemplating the idea of legalizing the cultivation of opium poppies for use in the production of morphine-based medications that are hard to obtain in Mexico.

Last month the governor of the beleaguered southern state of Guerrero floated the idea. A couple of weeks later the news magazine Proceso published information from an internal government report exploring the possibility.

How much, if any, of these bolder initiatives will make it into Mexico's participation in UNGASS is still not known. What is now clear, however, that they will not be made by Peña Nieto who has yet to give any explanation of his decision to stay away from the meeting.

The Mexican delegation will now be headed by foreign minister Claudia Ruiz Massieu who spoke to reporters about UNGASS while accompanying the president on a tour of Germany this week, just before he became the first Mexican president to visit Denmark since 1827.

"Mexico will be at the General Assembly like all the other countries," Ruiz Massieu said. "Mexico will make its position known with firmness and lots of clarity."

The message received by many in Mexico, however, is that the president would prefer not to be directly associated with the international debate on drug policy in New York.

"Giving up the chance to use this forum with clarity and courage diminishes Mexico," prominent author and political commentator Héctor Aguilar Camín wrote this week in the newspaper Milenio. "Mexico is one of the few countries that has the moral authority and experience required to talk with deep knowledge in the UN Assembly about its costly crusade that gets ever more absurd and unacceptable to the world's citizens."

One of the few to come to Peña Nieto's defense has been right-wing crime analyst José Antonio Ortega, who opposes the legalization of weed because of its "very serious" health impacts.

cont https://news.vice.com/article/the-mexican-president-is-going-to-skip-the-big-un-meeting-on-drugs

...............................................................................................

I wonder the real reason he is not attending this? Is Mexico all mobbed up and corrupt all the way to the top? Certainly appears this way. What would poor old Mexico do if drugs were legalized and their geological position became irelivant? I think it would certainly turn into even more of a hell hole then it is now. I used to vacation in Mexico often, but now I bet I never go back. I'm not sure Mexico has the ability to ever get its shit together as its never given much evidence to back this up. Mass murder and graves, over a hundred thousand people dead and the clown that's "leading" this failed state isn't even going to show up to the world meeting to address this.

And Mexico got all bent outta shape because of that recent drug war film in the states. Please:\ quite down after this.

crime analyst José Antonio Ortega, who opposes the legalization of weed because of its "very serious" health impacts.

This is a good example of why no one really looks to bloody Mexico for their scientific analysis. No they look to Mexico for dirt cheap uneducated labor, in a county where you can shit all over the environment and for a few peanuts thrown at gov officials you can do whatever makes your company the most profit. I certainly will not be buying a Ford when they are made in Old Mexico.

Last edited:
maybe a cartel made him an offer he couldn't refuse?

kidnapped some of his family members and told him he better not attend or else?

offered a nice fat envelope filled with goodies?

does seem like something fishy could be going on...

That certainly seems to be the case.

Reminds of this classic scene..

"Our friend gave a speech at the UN. He was not supposed to give that speech."

I am going to go with this ^^^. Cartels in mexico have branched out into other countries, and diversified their business ventures. They actually have collectively more money for bargaining than most south american countries.

For all the money the Mexican cartels make from drugs I've read they make more from stealing copper from building sites and selling it to the Chinese. When you consider all the other pies they've got their fingers in and that drugs might well account for less than 50% of their gross income you have to assume they wield a tremendous amount of power politically. Especially with that kind of money in such a poor area as most of the Latin and Central American countries are.

That's not to mention the fear factor they hold over people threatening family members etc. I think if you were in Mexico they woukd be more worrying than the government and its forces themselves.

Funny how people make jokes about the world leaders opposing the United States War on Drugs exactly during the time UNGASS is occurring. Simultaneously comments insulting or joking about the United States leaders are nearly non-existent and quickly buried.

I respect the human rights and science focused approach of the South American leaders. They are honorable men and women. I appreciate how they focus on approaching the issue.

The United Sates policy of removing non-violent drug users and minorities from society and incarcerating them devastatingly harmed the human rights of those minority groups. Now the United Sates incarcerates the most people on earth and has the some of the highest overdose rates in the developed world. Those policies didn't effectively limit drug use.

If our community makes jokes we should joke about the tragically humorous disregard of humans rights displayed by leaders in the United Sates.

Simultaneously comments insulting or joking about the United States leaders are nearly non-existent and quickly buried.

I'm not sure I follow this TBP.. Obama has been torn to shreds.. and with the election on so has everyone else?

I also don't see the connection. I think TBP may be a little defensive...not in a mean way buy yeah, American politicians are eaten alive. I've read countless more attacks on Barry alone than all of Central/South American leaders combined.

I just thought it's odd how negatively this thread portrays Mexico and they are the true reformers. This thread excluded mentioning Obama isn't attending UNGASS either. Obama is the president of the United States. The United Sates bribed and extorted other countries into the disastrous human rights violating War on Drugs. The United Sates started the War on Drugs and the president isn't bothering attending UNGASS. UNGASS is even near Obama's home, attending only requires driving a few hours.

This trend of ignoring the failings of the United Sates and exaggerating the shortcomings of any country or person disagreeing with the status quo in the United Sates is ubiquitous throughout the English speaking net.

Whenever I notice this I wish I could say what caused it. Perhaps patriotism made people prejudice about it.

Last edited:
...and despite the other users claims, the president of Mexico did attend UNGASS and gave a speech on the issues.

HighTimes said:
UNGASS: Mexican President Supports Medical Marijuana
By Kristen Gwynne · Tue Apr 19, 2016

mexico-president-open-medicalmarijuana.jpg

At the United Nations General Assembly Special Session (UNGASS) on drugs in New York on Tuesday, Mexico President Enrique Pena Nieto unveiled his support for the legalization of medical marijuana.

"I am giving voice to those who have expressed the necessity of changing the regulatory framework to authorize the use of marijuana for medical and scientific purposes," Pena Nieto said in a speech at UNGASS, adding that groups in Mexico have "showed the need to lift, in accordance with international standards, the amount of marijuana that can be considered for personal use, with the purpose of not criminalizing users.”

Pena Nieto will release details of how Mexico might implement the policy shift later this week.

He also said that prohibition has brought violence to Mexico, and like some other Latin American leaders at UNGASS, urged countries driving consumption to acknowledge their role. He advocated for a public health approach that prioritizes human rights and the wellbeing of individuals.
http://www.hightimes.com/read/ungass-mexican-president-supports-medical-marijuana

Obama, the president of the United Sates, didn't attend despite the fact the disastrous War on Drugs was created by the United States.

...and despite the other users claims, the president of Mexico did attend UNGASS and gave a speech on the issues.

http://www.hightimes.com/read/ungass-mexican-president-supports-medical-marijuana

Obama, the president of the United Sates, didn't attend despite the fact the disastrous War on Drugs was created by the United States.

Obama is a corporate whore who (among many other things) hasn't had the balls to at least attempt to reschedule, and thus, place a Schedule I plant such as Cannabis Sativa into Schedule II at the very least.

Obama has made and broken many of his political campaign's promises to his constituents-to-be.

Obama has been shredded to pieces by many BLers over the years.

Obama has also pardoned hundreds (if not thousands) of non-violent drug offenders from serving the remainder of their respective sentences in federal prisons. And if I'm not mistaken, this is an unprecedented move for a United States President.

I sincerely apologize for calling Mexico's president a coward. He did in fact show up, and thus, is to be commended. And if it wasn't for Mexico, this critically important meeting would not have been scheduled for another two years (IIRC).

Unfortunately, we live in a time of great struggle for war on drugs reform, which directly threatens the vested interests of many pro-drug war politicians, bureaucrats, NGOs, and powerful corporations. And I for one constantly worry that the position of individuals such as President Pena will suddenly shift because someone got to him behind closed doors. And when I read that he's not attending the conference, I assumed he'd been silenced. I was clearly wrong.

I also fear greatly that Canada's Prime Minister - who repeatedly promised to legalize the recreational consumption of Marijuana if elected - will somehow end up being silenced as well. Many supporters of other political parties in Canada voted for him so that his Liberal party would end up with a majority government, thus, removing a major hurdle towards legalizing weed. And if he breaks his word, I don't even wanna go there. I hope he doesn't spectacularly betray the trust of so many Canadians.

There would be a lot of people out of work if most drugs become legal, if not all drugs becoming legal. Most people will fight for their livelihood. We have already seen the lengths that many people go to to appear tough on drugs. It will only get worse before it gets better.

If the federal government of Canada shall remain true to its word to legalize the recreational possession and consumption of Cannabis Sativa (a 'high' which I've never truly enjoyed nor would spend money on, but also which is nonetheless a pivotal stepping stone towards effectively and productively excising this parasitic and titanic disaster of a war which has been directly responsible for more human rights violations around the world than religious persecution), then I shall no longer have any doubts whatsoever that another nation's governing body will be sufficiently emboldened to follow suit.

Unfortunately, there seems to be an especially massive, particularly aggravating elephant in the room, so to speak.

The Liberal Party of Canada has regrettably been known for decades to shamelessly, indifferently lie through their teeth when the time comes to making good on key campaign promises (particularly when the promises in question are considered to be taboo or controversial in nature). And I'd wager that the biggest reason by far why Canadian voters chose to vote for them was because they envisioned a vastly different outcome compared to the previous iteration of the scandal-plagued LPC helmed by the likes of Paul Martin and Jean Chrétien.

Time will only tell whether Trudeau and his handpicked team of ethnically-diverse ministers shall come to be remembered as the administration which did (or did not) dare to defy a few antique, draconian, two-faced, and scientifically-unfounded international treaties on certain mind altering substances (while others far more harmful to a consumer's wellbeing yet completely legal continued to yield unabated misery and death worldwide); which did (or did not) choose to brave the prohibitionist-laden adversity of western society from a bitterly-divided, staunchly-partisan superpower of a sovereign state; and which essentially opted to (or not to) notify drug warriors who have been happily profiting from the criminalization of morality (and the untold suffering of countless non-violent men and women) that their day of reckoning has moved a bit closer towards becoming a reality, whether they like it or not.

Please don't let your constituents down Justin. Please do not betray the trust of the voters who chose to "vote strategically" (exactly like you pleaded with them to do) so that you'd have the majority government needed to ease the unjust pain and suffering of so many non-violent Canucks who have been slapped with a criminal record because they were caught with parts of a freakin' plant in their pockets! Please keep your word - it's not too much to ask, or risk becoming a non-partisan, immensely-loathed social pariah and national embarrassment in your home and native land.

Remember to represent your voters/supporters, and not the likes of a large faceless corporation which, if genuinely treated as if it was a person, would promptly have the word "SOCIOPATH" tattooed on its giant forehead for all (except of course the disturbingly large chunk of political representatives who have sold their services to the highest corporate bidder) to plainly see!