• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

MEXCYCLIDINE - a wedding between Methoxetamine and Gacyclidine.

Asante

Bluelighter
Imagine a molecule of Methoxetamine..

Now imagine the 2'keto group being replaced by a 2-methyl group, like the highly potent and highly safe Gacyclidine:

Mexcyclidine

2-(3-Methoxyphenyl)-2-(ethylamino)methylcyclohexane

SMILES: CCNC1(CCCCC1C)C1=CC(OC)=CC=C1

2'-Me-3-MeO-PCE

Your thoughts please?

2-ethylamino-2-(3-methoxyphenyl)-1-methylcyclohexane.png

MEXCYCLIDINE
2-ethylamino-2-(3-methoxyphenyl)-1-methylcyclohexane

It looks good to me.
But dissos make me mentally unstable.

What's the similary to gacyclidine in particular?

I didn't know of gacyclidine, so thank you for the pointer. Looking at wikipedia it seems the sulphur thing is characteristic of gacyclidine.

I see no reason why this proposed compound shouldn't work (as a drug nerd with just basic lvl chemistry knowledge) but i'm not sure it's aptly described as a hybrid between MXE and gacyclidine. Is it because gacyclidine is well researched and has a methyl at the same position? Maybe the other ones with that methyl are less well researched and don't make the case as well for your proposed compound. Feel free to school me or explain your thinking further if it seems worthwhile.

It will be very similar to MXE. The QSAR is detailed in the EJoMC article I referenced. Of course, their are 4 enantiomers and I think only 1 is active. Of course, the LogP will be improved so maybe it's twice as active? Still, that still leaves 3 unwanted compounds that may have SOME effect.

The problem is that all of the arylcyclohexylamine derivatives are controlled.

That is why simply substituting a 4 thione for the cyclohexyl moiety is the most appropriate - it allows one to retrace the substitution patterns used in all of those novel RCs thus far marketed.

Now, the APPROPRIATE analogue with a 2-thiophene aromatic and N-ethyl amine has sub nM affinity for the NMDA receptor but I always have to remind people that what K and all of the popular RC agents have NMDA antagonist, mu agonist & DRI activity. It's finding the balance that is key. Something that is just a highly potent NMDA antagonist may well have a market, but it wouldn't be as 'good' as MXE.

As far as I can see, swapping the cyclohexyl for a 4-thiane is going to be the most likely to directly substitute. Yes, the 4-thianes had more NMDA activity than the cyclohexyls but it wasn't an order of magnitude, it was about 10% if memory serves.

Of course, the chemistry behind such a substitution is interesting. But that is always the case. People are keen to name ligands with no way of making them which isn't practical.

Last edited: