• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

metoclopramide + ephedrine interaction ?

omega2

Greenlighter
Hello bluelighters :) I was wondering if any of the more pharmacology knowledgeable users can share his/her opinion if metoclopramide could be negating some of ephedrine's effect.
I tried using the online Drug Interaction Checker website, which finds no interactions between the two, but once I took ephedrine and after half an hour, I felt not only the stimulating effects that I enjoy but also some nausea/feeling like vomiting so I took a metoclopramide tablet. And to my surprise 30 minutes later the effects of ephedrine almost dissapeared. Now I'm not saying that there is a causal relation between my taking mateclopramide with ephedrine, I could have been some other factor but still, that was the only time the effects of ephedrine diminished so drastically.

I know ephedrine is basically (indirectly) stimulating the adrenergic receptors, but I also read somewhere that the NA transporter system also carries a bit of dopamine with it (not sure if this makes any sense - but it was something like that), and metoclopramide appears to "bind to dopamine D2 receptors" as a receptor antagonist - according to wikipedia, and also works on 5-HT3 and 5-HT4.

So, if anybody is willing to share an opinion with me I would be glad, because ocasionally I feel a bit of nausea along with ephedrine and I would use it on theese ocasions but don't want to dumb down the recreational effects of ephedrine. (and yes, I am among the people who find ephedrine quite enjoyable recreationally :) though I know many people do not find anything interesting about it)

Thanks is advance.
(appologies if I misspelled some words or used unusual sentences - I did try my best but I don't have auto-correct and I am not from an english speaking country. This is also my first post on bluelight :) )

No one ? :( I'll check in later.

Hello bluelighters :) I was wondering if any of the more pharmacology knowledgeable users can share his/her opinion if metoclopramide could be negating some of ephedrine's effect.
I tried using the online Drug Interaction Checker website, which finds no interactions between the two, but once I took ephedrine and after half an hour, I felt not only the stimulating effects that I enjoy but also some nausea/feeling like vomiting so I took a metoclopramide tablet. And to my surprise 30 minutes later the effects of ephedrine almost dissapeared. Now I'm not saying that there is a causal relation between my taking mateclopramide with ephedrine, I could have been some other factor but still, that was the only time the effects of ephedrine diminished so drastically.

I know ephedrine is basically (indirectly) stimulating the adrenergic receptors, but I also read somewhere that the NA transporter system also carries a bit of dopamine with it (not sure if this makes any sense - but it was something like that), and metoclopramide appears to "bind to dopamine D2 receptors" as a receptor antagonist - according to wikipedia, and also works on 5-HT3 and 5-HT4.

So, if anybody is willing to share an opinion with me I would be glad, because ocasionally I feel a bit of nausea along with ephedrine and I would use it on theese ocasions but don't want to dumb down the recreational effects of ephedrine. (and yes, I am among the people who find ephedrine quite enjoyable recreationally :) though I know many people do not find anything interesting about it)

Thanks is advance.
(appologies if I misspelled some words or used unusual sentences - I did try my best but I don't have auto-correct and I am not from an english speaking country. This is also my first post on bluelight :) )

There shouldn't be any direct interaction between the two.

Ephedrine is mostly an alpha-adrenergic receptor agonist and is also a mild NE/DA releaser, although its dopamine releasing effect is mild at best.
Metoclopramide binds only to a single type of dopamine receptor (responsible for nausea/vomiting) and lacks any effect on other types more closely associated with task salience and goal prediction (D1/D3). Moreover it has no effect at the NE transporter and also no effect on adrenergic receptors.

Part of why nobody is replying is this is the wrong forum for drug interaction questions: that's BDD material. In addition to that, have some patience if your question doesn't get answered right away. Not everyone is an expert, nor do they have the time to be on BL all day.