• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Methylphenidate

Keaton

Bluelighter
What drugs does methylphenidate have cross tolerances with? I take concerta for ADHD and want to know what drugs it will mute the effects of..

I might be wrong but I don't think it is 100% cross tolerant with any existing drugs, but it will probably have at least partial cross-tolerance with other dopaminergic stimulants (amphetamines, cathinones including bupropion, coke).

Ok, well when I take MDMA on days that Ive taken my pills I find my roll is more muted tha. When I don't. Do you think that is a result of cross tolerance? Or could it be something else?

It will have partial cross tolerance with most/all stimulants (varying on the pharmacological effect of the other stimulant you are comparing MPH to), the drugs with the greatest cross tolerance would more than likely be other dopamine reuptake inhibitors (i.e. cocaine, MDPV). Jamshyd lists a few other ones and is correct as well.

Ok, well when I take MDMA on days that Ive taken my pills I find my roll is more muted tha. When I don't. Do you think that is a result of cross tolerance? Or could it be something else?

DRI's and MDMA don't mix. Cocaine often kills the effects of MDMA. Methylphenidate would also likely minimize the effects of MDMA.

Thank you both so much. I've been looking for an answer to that question since I started rolling. I always thought it was a coincidensce but thank you for educating me.
Much love,
Stay safe(relatively)

Thank you both so much. I've been looking for an answer to that question since I started rolling. I always thought it was a coincidensce but thank you for educating me.
Much love,
Stay safe(relatively)

No problem! At least this way when you get to do MDMA, you'll have extra MPH for the day after. %)

I am pretty sure that the drug combo is the culprit though; I have done MDA and MDMA in the same day, both high doses, both were perfect intense experiences. =D

THIS IS BECAUSE THE METHYLPHENIDATE OVER POWERS YOUR MDMA ROLL, THIS IS DIFFERENT FROM CROSS TOLERANCE.

Make sense? The shittier drug(in this case) ends up over powering the good drug and you only feel the methylphenidate. There's a difference.

Captain- WHAT? That's horrible advie to take the methylphenidate the morning after, you'll feel like shitttt at the end of that day then, AND it keeps putting your brain through more of a beating.

I think you should go 2 days methylphenidate free before rolling, then at least 3 after. Better for your roll, and nicer on your brain.

edit: errr looks like captain said something similar to that. But what I was trying to say: You may take methylphenidate every day in massive doses, and for 2 days stop, and have a super low dopamine level, then drop MDMA pills, and you would roll well(because MDMA uses serotonin mostly), just slightly less than you would have. Now, if you did coke that day instead, you would have a tolerance to it (from your methylphenidate hobby)- that's cross tolerance.
One drug over powering another (from being used on the same day in this case) is not cross tolerance, it's just a worthless combo.

Last edited:
Oh god, it seems that I've given you guys the impression that I take MPH recreationally...which is not the case, I actually do have ADHD haha. So I have to take those everyday. Have been since 4th grade :/ absolutely hate it too.

Captain- WHAT? That's horrible advie to take the methylphenidate the morning after, you'll feel like shitttt at the end of that day then, AND it keeps putting your brain through more of a beating.
I said you would have extra MPH, like, you would have more medication than you do days left until your next prescription comes in. I was referring to stocking up on extra meds for the long haul. That's all. :)

Oh god, it seems that I've given you guys the impression that I take MPH recreationally...which is not the case, I actually do have ADHD haha. So I have to take those everyday. Have been since 4th grade :/ absolutely hate it too.

Maybe you can consider switching to something else? Or does it work well for your ADHD?

It works for me. I've tried switching because I lose a lot of sleep due to it's side effects but I can't function on adderall, vyance gives me the shits... Haven't tried ritilin.
Not gonna lie, I love coming off of the MPH cuz I get high by not taking it.. Weird, right?
Have you heard of people growing out of ADHD?
Sorry if I'm getting kinda random... Haven't slept in a couple days(side effect of MPH for me)

It works for me. I've tried switching because I lose a lot of sleep due to it's side effects but I can't function on adderall, vyance gives me the shits... Haven't tried ritilin.
Not gonna lie, I love coming off of the MPH cuz I get high by not taking it.. Weird, right?
Have you heard of people growing out of ADHD?
Sorry if I'm getting kinda random... Haven't slept in a couple days(side effect of MPH for me)

I wouldn't say "growing out of ADHD", I would call it, learning how to cope without medication.

I would try dexedrine, I find it superior to adderall by far.

Alright. I'll talk to my doc next time I go in. Thanks again Capitan. :)

Alright. I'll talk to my doc next time I go in. Thanks again Capitan. :)

No problem!

By the way, I find exercise and music the top 2 things that help with my ADHD. Some things work better for others, but I think physical activity is key for someone like me.

Best of luck with everything.

From my experience, Ritalin wont cross tolerance with mdma at all. Last year I did A LOT of ritalin and A LOT of mdma and never had a problem.

It does have a cross tolerance with amphetamine though, like dexedrine/adderall. I was actually shocked, after doing a lot of dexedrine for a while, I took ritalin and it BARELY worked at all. I knew they had a cross tolerance from looking online but I didn't think it would be that strong of one. I don't know about methamphetamine though.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing because methylphenidate and cocaine are so similar, there might be a cross tolerance there. I've never looked into it too much though so, not sure.

You should be totally fine with mdma and ritalin though, I never had any issue whatsoever. :)

Also, I think since you are taking the ritalin at prescribed doses for ADHD, and not recreationally, chances of tolerance are definitely lower and it should be much less of an issue for you.

I've never taken ritalin and mdma in the same day, so that might effect the roll. I was just taking lots of ritalin some days, and lots of mdma other days, lots of dex somedays, etc but not in the same day.

Hope you have/had a great roll. :)

no I'm on concerta. Not ritilin. Hehe.

Thank you for your input tho :) much appreciated

Last edited:
Ooohh okay. That's the extended release version right? No prob :) Hope you had a good roll.

Ooohh okay. That's the extended release version right? No prob :) Hope you had a good roll.

Yea. It's an XR.
Been taking it since 4th grade:p
I try :) I usually do, the only thing is that sometimes I'm presented with the opportunity to roll, and it's perfect, except for the fact that Ive taken my pills that morning... I end up rolling still but I never seemed to roll as hard as when I didn't take the MPH..I was trying to find the answer to this problem for a while. At first I thought it might just be a set thing because when I medicate it turns me into a different person personality wise.. I'm far less outgoing, social and creative...
Sorry...ranting a bit.. Obviously I feel strongly about being on the meds...8)

I totally understand what you are saying man. I think a lot of kids with ADHD (who aren't just misdiagnosed like so commonly happens now) just learn differently. Like this lady I met who I guess had bad ahdh explained to me that she just can't learn or function well in a typical classroom, she needed to be more hands on with learning and doing stuff. I hate that schools have this one specific way of running a class and how kids should learn, and if they don't fit into that, we medicate them. Kids are so over-medicated now. The very first time I tried ritalin, my first thought was "Holy shit, I can't believe they give this shit to 6 year olds." Like, it's fucked, we're getting kids high on stimulants (whichever way it effects them, its still a mind altering substance) in order to deal with them and wedge them into what we deem 'normal'. It's crazy to me. Like methamphetamine makes a lot of ppl more focused and motivated too, and a lot of people use it for that reason. I know a lady who is a big meth head and she is badly ADD, so she uses meth so that she can focus and stay on track, etc. But obviously nobody in their right mind would recommend someone with ADHD try meth to deal with it, but its not that different using other types of amphetamines and methylphenidate (which is so similar to cocaine). I was blown away when I started researching the similarities between methylphenidate and cocaine. Sooo many people I know who have ADHD and have taken meds for it say the exact same thing as you, that it makes them more introverted, quiet, stunts their creativity, etc. I can't imagine what it must do to childrens' emotions and moods. From what I've been told, even when taken at prescribed therapeutic doses, you still feel a bit of a crash later on? Do you find that?

How old are you? Have you considered trying to see how you would function without the concerta (Talk to your doctor first of course)? Or is your ADHD really severe when you don't take your meds?

I read that another problem with concerta and ritalin is that tolerance is built really quickly, even when taken in prescribed doses, so you have to keep raising the dosage to get the original therapeutic effects. I don't know how true that is but I thought it was interesting.

I realize though that for some people its so bad that they literally cannot function without meds and so they don't really have any other choice. It's such a complicated issue. I just think with kids, it has to be incredibly damaging to dope them up on stimulants. :eek:S

Sorry for ranting, this is just something that's always interested me lol.