Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Methylphenidate, Ritalin PBS status in Australia

Boku_

Bluelighter
Is the use of Ritalin to treat adults for ADHD in Australia covered by the PBS scheme?

As you've discovered, the PBS database is publicly available online. I use it all the time.

For all the modified release versions of Methylphenidate, it says you're required to have been diagnosed with ADHD between ages 6-18 to qualify for subsidy as an adult.

For immediate release all it says is it's for ADHD, with no age of diagnosis requirements listed that I can see.

Bluelight has strict rules about discussing drug prices. I would think those rules shouldn't apply to discussion of the legal price obtained via a legitimate doctors prescription at an ordinary chemist, since that's readily available public information and not relevant to or encouraging solicitation of illegal sources or black market prices or availability. But that interpretation of the rule is not for me to decide, so I'm going to err on the side of caution and not directly list any prices and confine my comments to how the system itself works.

So that said, yes, since the PBS subsidizes methylphenidate, if you qualify for a PBS prescription under the authority system, then with a health care card you would qualify for the reduced price just as with any pbs subsidized medicine. And upon reaching the safety net with a health care card, no price whatsoever. General patient charge is the cost to you without a health care card.

But that's if your situation is covered by PBS regulations. And as it says on the pbs database, modified release is only subsidized for adhd if diagnosed as a child. But immediate release might be covered for anyone with ADHD.

Hope any of this information helps.

Last edited:
Is the use of Ritalin to treat adults for ADHD in Australia covered by the PBS scheme?
Depends on the diagnosis, I know that dextroamphetamine at least is covered by the PBS when prescribed for ADHD, but not for other reasons (like severe depression.)

ADHD is no fun at all. I can't imagine it incurring a bigger cost than the pitfalls of ADHD and it costing you work, in the long run. maybe whilst employed, pay full price. or be able to claim it. whilst it is not widely known whether it subsides, I will say if you lead an active lifestyle you can keep count of things like normal at the gym if you're not ADD'ing your mind out. ADHD is expensive. Impulsivity is costly. As is the connection with dabbling in substances. It can cost you the earth unless you keep a thought journal. but it's getting carried away on a thought (happened to me at 21) and not being able to do something constructive with it that leads to poor behaviour overall. I think people compensate but it ought not result in extra charges when you are a walking target of people looking to fuel meth lab syndicates too, in case you missed that demographic.