• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Methylphenidate addiction

Ok so a quick update, I didn't take the quetiapine. I took 1mg of klonopin and 150mg tradozone. I slept like a baby, 10 hours straight. I feel much better today. It's 17:05pm in here and have "only" taken 60mg of mfd and 140mg of vyvanse. Feel much better today.

Glad you feel better. Anxiety and sleep deprivation is the real enemy of test scores, I think. Sleep and relaxation is more important even than studying. You can't study productively if you're distracted by worries you're not studying enough.

I still think you best avoid stims AND methylphenidate (at the same time) but 60mg mpd till 5pm is pretty good, from where you were. 140mg of amphetamine is not so good; please be careful.

It's 20:10 and have taken 120mg of mfd and 210 of vyvanse. HPR is at 85 and bp not high. The good thing is taking out quetiapine and adding some benzo and I don't see the potential harm of mixing mfd and vyvanse. Well it would be definitely better not taking none of them, but in these circumstances...

Why would you take a quarter gram of amphetamine and 4x the average dose of mpd, at 8pm?

Don't answer that, I normally haven't even started honking meth by then. It's still not a smart thing to do, especially by someone who recently complained of insomnia.

So you eat a pile of stimulants, which keeps you awake and makes you nervous, so you dampen them with anti-histamines and benzos.

I've been telling you, too, that the Vyvanse is blocked by the methylphenidate. They don't work together, except for the side effects, or when the shorter-lived mpd wears off. So you are wasting the Vyvanse, and pointlessly overdosing on mpd by sedating yourself on top of it.

You could solve everything, no need for sleeping pills, if you just cut the mpd. You've convinced yourself that you have this outrageous stimulant habit, when I suspect that 20 mpd at once is effectively the same as 4 mpd. You take all this amphetamine only because you believe you'll die from your crazy habit. But a quarter gram of amphetamine at once is a whopping dose when it's pharma-grade, and that is a habit you don't want to get started.

You may be having some psychological issues beyond just test anxiety (that's not meant as criticism, just observation). I told you that was too much amphetamine and you countered by taking twice as much. Should I try reverse psychology and say you should take more Vyvanse?

Quarter gram of amps? Do you know how much ampethamine comes in 70 mg of vyvanse?
BTW, have you ever taken vyvanse? Where is the scientific info about vyvanse can't be mixed with mfd? And that it takes the effect of mfd away?

Serious question, OP, and this is coming purely from a harm reduction, wanting you to be alright perspective, have you ever seen a professional regarding your mental health? Particularly during a time when you weren't abusing stimulants or what have you.

Quarter gram of amps? Do you know how much ampethamine comes in 70 mg of vyvanse?
BTW, have you ever taken vyvanse? Where is the scientific info about vyvanse can't be mixed with mfd? And that it takes the effect of mfd away?

You claimed to take 140mg at 5pm, and either another 210mg, or another 70mg for a total of 210mg Vyvanse, at 8:10pm (missed the total possibility). If you want to make comparisons, 61mg of pure, pharma-grade dextro-amphetamine may not sound so terrible (and yes, that is less than a quarter gram).

Equal to 334mg of Adderall in three hours, is the perspective-making comparison you should look at. It's not good for you, especially with a lot of other stimulant on board.

(I don't have the evidence to support my belief that mpd interferes with amphetamine. They sure seem less than additive, and by your own account the Vyvanse did nothing.)

We're trying to give you support here, and while maybe my total lack of training in the counseling ways doesn't always shine through, we're still giving you good advice and trying to keep you alive.

Also, I'm splitting off our conversation, since it's too big a derailment for a Vyvanse thread.

Perhaps I explained wrogly myself. I took that amount through throughout the day, not divided in 2 doses. I know the amount is high, but there are people I know or I used to know, taking 5gr cocaine daily, and they are alive. In this forum ie you can see people abusing much harder drugs.
Steady Scootin, it's you had read my other 2 post, I am under psychiatrist supervision. As I mentioned they prescribe me quetiapine and trazodone. If course they don't approve my stims and they say I need to quit, but agree in what I am doing, tapering until the exam and quitting cold turkey after it it try to keep tapering. I have seen many doctors in the last 3 weeks seeking for help, and the opinions differ. One of them required an 15 days detox in a hospital and then 6 months in a community center.
I have been abusing 3 months and due to this fucking exam, not to get high or anything.
Your help I really appreciate but perhaps you have some other different issues and also need a pshycriatist.
I just came for help to being able to concentrate again and to taper, but you just seem to be able to criticize and say you are trying to keep me alive...

What makes you say that? Do you have any evidence based on anything I've said that leads you to legitimately believe I need psychiatric help, or are you merely saying thst in some attempt to... ? Although you might not buy it, I am trying to be helpful, apologies for not seeing the post where you mentioned seeing a doctor, but your posts aren't exactly easy to read. Again, that's not an attack, it's just a fact. Paragraphs and generally separating your disparate thoughts would help a lot.

Sorry that's true, is the inconvenience of being able to speak 3 languages. Unfortunately my mother tongue is not English.
Thanks for helping, if you want me to keep updating I will. If I am a problem here please tell me

Let's all take a break from stims (except for me) and use our clonidine voices for a bit.

I kept scolding OP for his Vyvanse use, which despite being part of the job description when appropriate (just not in excess like that), tends to piss people off.

Then it was me who misread a post and started assuming things like spiteful drug dosing. And oh, how we all got pissy after that. Except for Scootin, he was pretty calm.

You're not a problem, Mr. Ritalin, and yes, please keep us updated. If you do decide to quit and file updates, I may move your thread to a better forum, but not because you were doing anything wrong.

I'd like to know what this civil service exam is about. I said earlier that American ones were more of a "Can you show up roughly on time, sober, while wearing pants?" This three month major anxiety-maker sounds more like a Bar exam.

You are correct that the two interfere with one another. Amphetamine reverses the DAT transporter making it work in reverse, while the methylphenidate tends work more by halting the transporter allowing dopamine to accumulate naturally. So if the transporter is halted, ie you take mph first, it cannot move in reverse when the amphetamine is introduced hence the amphetamine is largely wasted. In the other case if amphetamine were present first the mph would then halt the reversed transporter thereby dulling the effects. Similar process applies to norepinephrine.

Thanks, doc. That was roughly my reasoning. But as OP reminded everyone, I periodically start looking for actual proof of that, get distracted by something shiny, and wander off. I mean, they must interfere in a not-productive way, but an exact account would be nice. It doesn't help that apparently they are co-prescribed sometimes; with different dose scheduling by themselves, I can't say if the combo is advanced ADHD alchemy, or doctors writing placebo.

*That was a subtle way of asking if you could look for me.

Last edited:
Oh now I can. I have tried writing several post and it didn't work due to security reasons.
I will update later. Thanks fur the info, I will only take vyvanse.

Thanks, doc. That was roughly my reasoning. But as OP reminded everyone, I periodically start looking for actual proof of that, get distracted by something shiny, and wander off. I mean, they must interfere in a not-productive way, but an exact account would be nice. It doesn't help that apparently they are co-prescribed sometimes; with different dose scheduling by themselves, I can't say if the combo is advanced ADHD alchemy, or doctors writing placebo.

*That was a subtle way of asking if you could look for me.

Well, after searching the internet for what seemed like hours (probably about 15 min;), I couldn't find any scientific papers that specifically deal with the mph+amp interaction. The hypothetical is vaguely brushed on in some largely unrelated texts. Now as far as anecdotal info neuropharmacology or whatever AdvancedDrugDiscussion turned into has at least one anecdotal account in its archives. Some other forums (that shall remain unmentioned) have some, more dubious, anecdotal accounts. From reading the accounts is seems as if mph is added on to amp when a morning dose of amp starts waning in mid afternoon but another dose of amp would probably be too much. From what I've been reading mph is regarded by the medical community as being "gentler" than amp.

Another unique case involved Focalin; d-mph. The poster had begun experiencing a paradoxical knock out effect from his/her Focalin and amp was added to counter that specific side effect. The OP in that thread seemed pretty satisfied with the function of the two together. But I digress, scientific evidence of a negative interaction has eluded me thus far.

Well thank you, I of course expected the thread to scatter in the harsh kitchen fluorescence of requests for assistance. Although lack of obvious counter-info is at least comfortingly neutral.

Focalin reminds me I have some random slideshow about Focalin, that I glanced at long ago; take-away is that it's a lot more than simply what you'd expect from the more active enantiomer. Maybe it has something to say re: amphs.

Thanks again

Well I don?t know how in the US writing exams to work for the Government is like, but I can assure here it?s almost impossible. Some peple have been studying this for more than 4 years and they don?t pass. We have to write 2 test, and one medical examination.
Public employment is well paid and you work like 30 hours a week. There are many different positions but all of them, even working as as officce auxiliary, is quite difficult. May be like 15.000 people take the same exam for 200, 300 or 400 vacancies. During recent years there were none vacancies due to Economical crisis, but people kept studyng.
FYI this is not a bar exam and please stop offending if you don?t know a damn thing about it. Things in America are quite different than in Europe, you should already know that. I have a 5 year business degre and a master and speak 3 languages. Well that?s not enough in here to have a good job, so public employment is a good (even quite impossible) option.

Last edited:
Quick update. I severaly decreased ritalin intake to 60/80mg daily. On the other hand I am taking a high dose of vyvanse, like 280mg a day. I know it?s a lot but feel much better than just with ritalin alone, or vyvanse alone. So yes, mixing them I would say it?s a good combo but ritalin should be decreased, at least for me.
I now can study hard again, but I have to say I get a little bit distracted when overdoing vyvanse. Very talkative and stuff like that.
Before taking ritaling I could study like 8 hours a day, being efficient 5 or 6. Taking ritalin I could study 10 or 11 hours a day being effective all of them. When I had ritalin issues, I could study only like 3 or 4 hours a day and some of them with anxiety. I didn?t study for...like 2 or 3 weeks due to several problems being ritalin one of them. Now I can study 8 hours being effective all them.
So yes, 1 week and exam will be over, as I don?t think I can access/acceed (don?t know the exact word since I don?t study English for ages) to 2nd exam. But if I do, I will quit after the second exam wich will be on 18th of March.

Thanks a lot guys, if you want, I will keep posting
Have a nice Weekend