View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Methylone Compared to MDMA or MDA

methadon3000

Ex-Bluelighter
I have had MDMA many many times in the past (and still filling up my seratonin tank/recovering from heavy use) as well as MDA on a very few occasions, which I liked just as much as the MDMA. I even went to sleep once on 120mg-140mg of MDMA after the come up (45min-1hr) when I wanted to (even though I realize its a waste, both of MDMA and of seratonin).

I haven't had the chance, time and place to try methylone but I hear its even more mellow than MDMA.
How does Methylone compare to MDMA?

I have limited experience of MDMA (a few 120-150 mg ish doses a decade ago, and a 80 mg dose recently) and more extensive experience of Methylone (not sure how many doses, but about 7 grams or so in 180 to 250 mg doses, so at least a couple of dozen, I guess) and none of MDA, so I'm sure you'll get more informative answers than this, but I'll have a go at answering, based on what experience I do have...

I'm not sure what you mean by mellow... if you mean non-stimulating, such that sleep is possible, then I'm not sure Methylone is particularly mellow. Certainly, I've never been able to sleep on a full dose of Methylone (180+ mg), however much I want to, for at least 6 hours after dosing (longer, with higher doses). And most of those 6 hours are in the post-peak period, where the characteristic MDMA-typical empathogenic effects (quite recognizably from the same loved-up family of effects, even though undoubtedly there are differences that a more experienced MDMA user would note) have had their half hour or so in the sun, and left behind them the not unpleasant residual stimulation.

I guess a low enough dose of Methylone (like a low enough dose of MDMA) could avoid the stimulation while giving some pleasant effects. I seem to recall from my second titrating dose of Methylone (120 mg) that there was no notable stimulation, just a very gentle and mild but lovely peak.

A friend with extensive experience of MDMA and cocaine said, on snorting a line of Methylone (I'm guessing it might have been about 80 mg, but it wasn't weighed), that it was 'like pilly coke' (i.e. it was like cocaine, but with an MDMA-like euphoric rush combined with it). Not something I'd noticed, myself (not having tried coke more than couple of unremarkable times or so; and also only having taken Methylone by the oral route), but that fits with the known profile of receptor activity of Methylone, which is more dopaminergic and less serotonergic than MDMA.

Last edited:
To me methylone is like a combination of MDMA and cocaine that does not leave you feeling drained afterwards. The comedown is coke-like, which means you'll feel fiendy and "needy", but once it's over, you'll feel fine the next day. The peak is really intensely euphoric and feels quite like MDMA, but is even shorter than MDMA, perhaps half the duration. I like methylone but it's quite moorish and the very short duration is definitely a downside.

I've tried butylone only once, and the main thing I got from it was a lot of gurning. It was more stimulant, I think, than methylone, and felt rather dodgy: I was involuntarily making faces like someone who's had a lifetime of chlorpromazine or who's been on a binge of MDMA (much teeth-grinding, tongue sticking out, tongue chewing stuff). I think it was 120 mg of butylone. It wasn't entirely pleasant, and I haven't repeated the experience yet. I'm sure I'll try it again some time (I'd have thrown it away otherwise, I guess; ETA: Actually, having said that, I've not thrown away a bag of mcPP, despite its panicogenic and dysphoric effect on me which I hope never to experience again... perhaps I just don't like throwing things away) but it didn't appeal to me, really.

Gentler than MDMA, no unpleasant come-down, really pleasant, enjoyable high, great for sex. But it is more-ish because it's got such a short duration.

methylone is horrible.... I am suprised people take that stuff. I find it's peak to last about 5 minutes after come up. You feel fiendy for more like you would for cocaine, and I can't figure out why. The peak is not that enjoyable. And then you fiend for about 6 hours after your peak has went away... I bought a bit a while back and I gave most of it away. It was close to one of the worst drug experiences of my life.

^^^^ Well there does seem to be a vast quality range for this substance. Apparently, the darker and smellier it is, the more side effects that seem to appear.

I prefer methylone. It doesnt have quite as nasty of a side effect profile as mdma/mda and you are far more likely to get what you paid for. It isnt as stimulating either...

I like it but it's a big waste of money in my opinion. I would certainly accept some gladly if it were to be offered to me though. :)

Well I had some last night, being the 2nd time ever taking it. Probably consumed 250+mg between the original dose and the booster dose. I found the effects to be very MDMA like, although Methylone is certainly more stimulating on my body and gets my heart rate up. After about 3-4 hours me and the missus were starting to feel a little crashy (much like an MDMA comedown) so we each did about 150mg Ketamine. This was probably the best part of the experience. She opened up me to quite a bit after the Ketamine kicked in, and I was happy to listen as I felt like I was floating around on a bed of clouds.

I did take 20mg valium before the experience because I remembered how speedy/cracked-out this stuff can make me feel. I'm glad I did take it. Dosed @ 8:30PM, fell asleep around 3:00AM with the help of Ketamine, valium, and ambien.

So yes not the healthiest night of drugs I suppose, but I did manage to avoid the schizo-style comedown effects I got from Methylone previously.

I often hear people say, on BL and in person, that methylone makes it very tempting to re-dose. I think this is likely partially caused by the short duration.

I've never tried it myself, so I have nothing to contribute on that front.

Personally, I've found that the more MDMA-like effects of Methylone do not respond well to redosing, i.e. I get very little return of the brief entactogenic peak, although redosing does intensify and extend the post-peak more cocaine-like stimulation. So I guess its redosing potential may depend on what you want out of it.

For me, the - already long - period of post-peak stimulation isn't what I'm after in Methylone (perfectly pleasant and good for sociableness though it is), so I'd say its not good for redosing. But if you like that kind of thing more than the peak effects, then I guess it is good for redosing.

With fairly regular use you don't really get much of the entactogenic effects but it's still a pleasant high.

could you elaborate? from what i've read here on bl i was under the impression that methylone had even less redosing potential than mdma.

Well, the other night I took about 1.5 grams total, starting with 250 mg in a capsule, then a couple 300 mg capsules at 1 hour intervals, then a few lines of indeterminate dose and timing, and finally about 200 mg plugged (quite a piece de resistance :)) and I was feeling fucking fabulous for about 10 straight hours. =D

I find methylone to be "like pilly coke" too. There is an uncontrollable urge to redose like cocaine, a nice body high but not as nice as MDMA, and the classic empathogenic effects of MDMA/MDA.