• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Methylnaltrexone and Naloxegol for Opioid-Induced Constipation, do they work?

evo4ever

Bluelighter
Hey all.

Has anyone tried any of the two peripherally acting opioid antagonists mentioned in the title and are they effective without provoking any withdrawals? I'm very interested in asking my doctor about this cos im sick of taking laxatives! Cheers.

What laxatives are you taking? I’ve began to be horribly constipated from methadone to the point of bleeding. I’m worried I’m causing damage and pooping is such a strenuous effort these days.

I tried meta mucil but I keep forgetting to take it daily cause it’s a drink... sigh

I haven't tried either compound in question, but I have found a very effective regimen for provention opoid induced constipation.

1. Proper hydration (for me, around 130 oz of fluid per day)
2. Whole fruit smoothies with Mirafiber
3. Magnesium supplements
4. Colace as needed
5. Daily exercise

I know kratom constipation might not be as severe as that from other opoids, but taking those 5 steps a day made all the difference for me. Proper hydration makes the difference more than anything else.

I take stool softeners but they don't stimulate a bowl movement they just keep everything "soft", plus I hate the taste of it, it tastes like salty orange its gross!

I take stool softeners but they don't stimulate a bowl movement they just keep everything "soft", plus I hate the taste of it, it tastes like salty orange its gross!
The smoothies with Mirafiber go a long way toward keeping your GI tract moving, so to speak. The combination of fiber from the fruit, in addition to the supplemental fiber, results in regular, every morning bowel movements for me. It's at least worth a shot if your Dr doesn't want to prescribe either med.

Hey Evo and company! My experience has been that prevention is way more effective than treatment when it comes to Opioid-induced constipation.

This often involves using non-stimulant laxatives as a prophylactic against the condition. I've found Miralax to be the most effective laxative for this condition, but other stuff like additional fiber in the diet can also be very helpful.

What I would do is begin taking the Miralax, the active ingredient of which is Polyethylene Glycol. This is known as an osmotic laxative as it attracts water from the GI tract to make it easier to pass stools.

You can also make use of enemas if you have a stool ready to go that is simply to large or impacted to be passed normally.

Meanwhile, be diligent about drinking lots of water throughout the day. Also, using something like Metamucil daily to increase fiber in your diet is not a bad idea and certainly cant hurt. I would try some of these remedies and get back to us if you still dont have success.

Hey Evo and company! My experience has been that prevention is way more effective than treatment when it comes to Opioid-induced constipation.

This often involves using non-stimulant laxatives as a prophylactic against the condition. I've found Miralax to be the most effective laxative for this condition, but other stuff like additional fiber in the diet can also be very helpful.

What I would do is begin taking the Miralax, the active ingredient of which is Polyethylene Glycol. This is known as an osmotic laxative as it attracts water from the GI tract to make it easier to pass stools.

You can also make use of enemas if you have a stool ready to go that is simply to large or impacted to be passed normally.

Meanwhile, be diligent about drinking lots of water throughout the day. Also, using something like Metamucil daily to increase fiber in your diet is not a bad idea and certainly cant hurt. I would try some of these remedies and get back to us if you still dont have success.

Peripherally Acting Opioid Antagonists are a preventative measure, they stop regular opioid agonists from binding to opioid receptors in the GI tract, they work exactly like Naloxone but they cant cross into the blood-brain barrier so theres no CNS / Central antagonism which would provoke withdrawal.