• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Methods of potentiating LSD whilst taking an anti-depressant.

velmwend

Bluelighter
I was thinking: is there anything out there that could help potentiate LSD for someone taking an anti-depressant.

It's quite common knowledge nowadays that SSRIs and other anti-depressants can significantly weaken, or kill, an LSD trip, but can this be reversed?

I've heard aniracetam, and some of the other racetams, potentiate LSD. Could these help boost LSD for someone taking a low dose of SSRI? Has anyone tried this?

There must be something out there to help those taking anti-depressants get the most out of their trip without having to stop taking their medication.

You're probably out of luck. The method of action of antidepressants simply doesn't play well with psychedelics.

It should probably also be mentioned that if you're suffering from a mental illness (which clinical depression is classified as) you might not want to be using recreational drugs.

All that being said, I do not believe in or agree with the use of SSRI drugs to treat depression. Their method of action is poorly understood and the side effects can be horrendous. Also, many studies show that SSRIs fare little better than placebos in double blind studies. I believe that most people's depression stems from the lack of meaning and fulfillment in their lives, their soul crushing menial jobs performed for lousy wages, and our materialistic society that crushes individuality.

I'm not suggesting stopping your medication, just hoping to give you some food for thought.

There is some variance among users in the degree that SSRI's dampen psychedelia, you might not experience any significant setback. In any case, taking more is your best bet.

It should probably also be mentioned that if you're suffering from a mental illness (which clinical depression is classified as) you might not want to be using recreational drugs.

If we don't deserve the drugs, then who does? And I wouldn't consider depression to be contraindicated with psychs, this is precisely where their medicinal value come in handy.

People are free to do as they like, but I figured it was worth mentioning. I've known a couple of people with mental illnesses who handled psychedelics just fine. In fact, it was a very positive element in their lives. I've also known a couple of people for whom it greatly exacerbated their problems. It's a crapshoot and entirely up to an individual to decide for themselves. I'm not one to wag my finger and say no, but it's worth giving serious thought as to whether or not psychedelics are a good personal choice if you're on antidepressants.

Edit: I feel that it's worth adding that my girlfriend was prescribed Prozac for depression. She researched it and decided that she wasn't interested in taking an SSRI. She ended up having several meaningful and introspective acid trips, started eating well and working out more, and getting better sleep. The result was a serious improvement in her state of mind. I do believe that psychedelic drugs can be a powerful catalyst in self improvement.

Last edited:
Yep, you take a gamble when you take SSRI, lSD, or SSRI + LSD, or LSD with depression, and LSD without depression. Taking an SSRI is just as much a gamble, considering side effects.

But it would be great if there was something out there that could help. Maybe folks who take low dose anti-depressants and can't trip, will benefit in many ways from being able to enjoy LSD.