• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Methocarbamol- Does it have depressant effects like Soma and Meprobamate?

NarcoTerrorist

Greenlighter
This drug has always interested me but I have not been able to find a product that contains just pure Methocarbamol OTC and I have never been able to decipher for sure which side of the Robaxacet/Robaxin or whatever it is, is the Methocarbamol. I assume it's the green half, not the white half but I've never been sure and therefore have not been willing to ingest any amount over 5-6 halves of the pills.

The reason this drug interests me because it's a carbamate. Some other carabamates are Meprobamate (Equanil) and Carisoprodol (Soma) both of which are highly abused, and provide effects similar to barbiturate/benzodiazepine drugs (supposedly). I wouldn't know because Carisoprodol was taken off the market in Canada before I could even try it, and Meprobamate is only available in a pill along with aspirin and is only available in doses of 200mg (very low) in each pill. I can't take aspirin due to a bleeding disorder so I won't be trying that any time.

Has anyone on here experimented with this drug in any way? What were your results. On wikipedia it claims it is has an abuse profile "similar to but weaker than lorazepam" (which I find pretty hard to believe)

It's the carbamate of Guaifenesin, which has no psychoactive or depressant effects that I know of. Although I've read Guaifenesin is used as some sort of anesthetic in horses? I have no idea how that works or if it's applicable to humans.

Does anyone know anything about Methocarbamol? First hand experience reports are greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million,

=narcoterrorist=

IMO this drug is absolute shit. I wouldn't compare it to lorazepam. Have you tried carisoprodol? Carisoprodol turns into meprobamate by metabolism, responsible for many of the effects, although carisoprodol is active on it's own.

Methocarbamol is like a jacked up advil, but I would take advil over robaxin.

Methocarbamol is a non-GABAergic (to the best of my knowledge) that is basically just a weak muscle relaxant. It does not share the CNS depressant effects of the "fun" carbamates in man.

A lot of people complain about it for being so weak, but it is indeed an effective muscle relaxant in 500-1500mg doses, or compounded with codeine. (Robaxacet-8 or Robaxisal-8 in canada) It works nicely to gently potentiate the physical effects of marijuana and opiates.

I have a feeling you're right Seldo. I just don't know why there are these studies online saying it has some noticeable effect. I've taken the green and white ones that you can split in half, and I'm assuming the green side is the side that contains the Methocarbamol since the other side tastes more like the ibuprofen, but I couldn't be sure. I took 6 or so of these one time and didn't notice anything. I'm guessing it was about 3 grams of Methocarbamol (they were Robax platinum pills). I may have taken the wrong side but I'm pretty sure the green side was the methocarbamol. It seems the way they make the pills is by putting 2 ingredients together and you can literally snap them in the middle breaking the pills into a white half and a green half. Who knows if i took the right side...

http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/248/3/1146

If you read that study, it essentially says in doses well above what are used in Robaxin/Robaxacet that it is abuseable.

"The results showed that both lorazepam and methocarbamol produced statistically significant dose-related increases in subjects' ratings of drug effect and liking"

The study/evaluation also says "The results indicate that methocarbamol, at doses well above those used therapeutically, has some potential to be abused by persons with histories of sedative/hypnotic abuse; however, this potential for abuse is probably decreased by the accompanying side effects at high doses and is probably less than that of lorazepam. "

I'd like to hear of someone who has taken just Methocarbamol by it's self without any acetaminophen, ibuprofen, aspirin in it.

*****WARNING: I would suggest anyone who is reading this and curious about taking more than the dosage on the box of Robaxin/Robaxacet/Robax/Robaxisal etc to really think hard about that because these products either contain ibuprofen, aspirin or acetaminophen ALONG with the Methocarbamol, and you could easily die or destroy your liver trying to achieve high doses of Methocarbamol. Don't be stupid and ingest tons of these tablets to find out if you will get high or not. This is not the way you go about testing something out. And I'd rather NOT hear about it unless you've used pure Methocarbamol ****

Last edited:
My only experiences with it are with the pure methocarbamol product (Robaxin)

Methocarbamol is a non-GABAergic (to the best of my knowledge) that is basically just a weak muscle relaxant. It does not share the CNS depressant effects of the "fun" carbamates in man.

A lot of people complain about it for being so weak, but it is indeed an effective muscle relaxant in 500-1500mg doses, or compounded with codeine. (Robaxacet-8 or Robaxisal-8 in canada) It works nicely to gently potentiate the physical effects of marijuana and opiates.

Given my nerve issues, this is exactly the sort of experience I've had with this drug OP (it potentiates other things well enough but more important works for me as an effective, relatively safe muscle relaxant).

Although it doesn't get one fucked up like diazepam can, it certainly can cause some light inebriation (again, this has been my experience). I never extract thought of using it to get "fucked up" though, because I don't think it would really be useful for doing so. Nonetheless, in other ways the drug can be very effective.

I just took a 750mg methocaramol about an hour ago. Even though it's a carbamate, it doesn't really produce any [recreational] effects like carisoprodol or meprobamate, other than some sedation. It is a decent muscle relaxant though.

Methocarbamol is one of the few drugs that actually "does what it says on the tin". It's a muscle releaxant. It relaxes muscles, If you're expecting more (sedation etc) then look elsewherere. Otherwise, it's helped me relieve tense or knotted muscles just as well as a hot tub.

It's abusable because in the United States of Neglect and No Fun the only otc muscle relaxant is alcohol. Offends my Canadian sensibitities. If they gave you jenkem they'd probably control it too.

I took roxobin for about half a month (without much recreational effects) until I started to notice some strange side effects such as weird tastes in my mouth similar to ones occurring from lunesta and withdrawal in which my muscles would ache. I was initially very happy when I saw my doc had given me a carabamate but quickly grew to dislike this and had him switch me to something else the next month.

I tried soma, robaxin, flexeril, zanaflex. The carisoprodol is the best. Tizanidine makes me overly sedated and not much else.

Soma (carisoprodol) is prodrug for mepbrobemate(Milkhouse ) l; IIRC, ~~50% of a dose is converted to meprobamate, so it is arguably a prodrug, for, or at least a partial prodrug, for meprobamate, which does have barbiturate like effects, and, is schedule 3 or so in the US?(in pure form) though is apparently rare

Methocarbamol is apparently a fairly safe medication, and, as Sekio said, actually does what it's supposed to do claim: skeletal muscle relaxant. It can pitentiate other medications (the fun kind) and even by itself it can be relaxing ��Though pure recreational effects? Sorry ��It is a therapeutic drug, mostly, and nothing like soma, a somewhat questionable choice for long tern treatment in the first place, and now S5(in the US)

So, don't abuse this, being a "carbamate means almost nothing - on that basis, DXM should have opioid effects

Kinda wanna close this, as there is little else to be said, unless someone gets superdetailed or we(mostly Sekio ;) ) Starts getting NPD style discussion on it (can't access my smiles!) to above poster, no, only Soma, a prodrug for meprobamate, otherwise barbiturates, although benzodiazepines are far safer (and they aren't exactly harmless w/ long term use)

- Lorne (or astro man?)