• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Methamphetamine vs Amphetamine (Sulfate?). How to tell the difference?

Some people on these board have used the bleach test to test their meth. Others post about crackback (crystal meth heated to smoke, it will leave a different looking pattern on the inside of the pipe when it cools and res-solidifies. The residue that becomes solid again inside the pipe is known as the “crackback.” The pattern that is created is different depending on how pure the meth is and what it is cut with).

Even in this hypothetical situation: Never trust the bleach test or any of that nonsense about crackback. These ‘tests’ are almost completely unreliable and have been thoroughly debunked on this harm reduction board and others. So please disregard anyone saying that these tests are useful in anyway. They are not!
@The Wizard of the Creek
Cool this is the kind of info I was looking for thanks! Im actually working on a screenplay and I needed something like this for a scene in a trp-house, a credible dialogue/activity, I hope you don't mind if I use this? It freakin perfect, golden! Thanks so much mate! 👍

I did not know this, are you sure regular 'amp' doesn't have some serotonergic properties?
I think read that somewhere...

Nope. Amphetamine either racemic or dextro enantiomerically pure has no clinically significant serotonergic effects. Even in large doses.

If you did actually read it somewhere it was wrong.

We have your best answer (I gave it to you), the tools of which you could have by now, but you are still unsatisfied.

Perhaps you are best suited for tweaker science methods to determine a substance and its purity using sprite and bleach as your chemical reagants. But good luck.

If you had listened to my answer, those chemicals reagent would be at your door tomorrow. Doesn't take fancy lab equipment to put a drop of liquid on a powder and look for color changes. Those colors will be a better indicator of what your looking than anything you can do at home.

Remember your question was: what DIY ways can I use to tell the difference between meth and amphetamine? The only answer is the one I have.

Technically you could also build a melting point apparatus easily at home. But if you have trouble with the complexity of dropping a liquid on a powder and observe the color change, the melting point apparatus device construction would probably not be the way to go.

idk about meth but if you take some speed and heat it on a spoon or whatever you get this sweet smelling scent almost like a freshly baked cake with subtile backdrops of chemicals and a hint of whatever cutting agent was used. bon appetit
If you notice that it's burning too quickly, you're either holding the flame too close or there's a bunch of caffeine/other shit mixed with it, give it a quick bath if that happens. It should taste slightly acidic but meth could too(never tried)

I was having a conversation with someone about Australian ‘back in the day’ speed powder the other day. And came to the conclusion it might possibly have been an inferior meth (not crystal) rather than amp sulfate.
The white powder speed that rocked up didn't have the legs of real meth, but it certainly lasted longer than cocaine. I recall that after the comedown I gave my folks the 2nd gram I had bought that week and didn't touch speed again til a few years down the line...

The white powder speed that rocked up didn't have the legs of real meth, but it certainly lasted longer than cocaine. I recall that after the comedown I gave my folks the 2nd gram I had bought that week and didn't touch speed again til a few years down the line...
The quality and experience of meth seems to variable considerably according to the form it’s in. With old school powdered pseudo ‘crank’ being a very different ride to today’s largely (in the US) cartel produced P2P ‘crystal’.

Personally, I think the harm reduction value of this discussion is exhausted. There is no practical ‘household ingedients’ test to work out what a substance is. Best practice is to clean the product and use a reagent test to determine what it is. But even then you are still left with insoluble cuts and manufacturing by-products.

OP, don’t be upset about people continuing to come back to this answer. We specifically rule out vague drug ID’s and always recommend reagent tests as a matter of policy. Even in hypotheticals.