• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Methadone vs. Oxycodone

FutureReference

Bluelighter
Hey all,

The Oxycodone supply near me is limited and each month a few days I must go without until the pharmacy finally gets their delivery. I was on Bupe for pain for years to no avail. Methadone has been recommended by my doctor but it is ultimately my decision. Due to laws, my dosage of Oxycodone is only 40mg (10mg x 4) daily. The Methadone would be the take home tablets and not at a clinic, but I have zero experience with it.

I am leaning toward staying on the Oxycodone and being bumped up to 60MG which is the maximum allowed here but am wondering for those who have experience with both; is Methadone better for the treatment of chronic pain? The Oxy works better than Fentanyl did but the dosage limit is just making me consider Methadone even though I do not think ultimately it is a smart move. Thanks in advance

Can't your doctor give you a trial period? like let you try the methadone for a week and if it's not working you could switch back

methadone may be a good option because it has a good long half-life so you will not have to take your meds 4 times a day, just plan out a good dose with the doctor so you won't raise your tolerance.

i've used these only recreationally, not for pain, so my input is limited to that. the thing is you could return to the oxy and raise it if it's not working.

what were the arguments of your doc for the change?

Thats quite a low dose of oxy ur on! Why is there such a low daily limit? It seems pointless to me. If it's got anything to do with your "opioid crisis" then thats wrong! Your a genuine pain patient and to penalize you for the crisis is immoral.

You should move to the UK and you'll get treated on ur actual pain levels and not on politics.

I found methadone better for pain then oxy, i just liked the oxy high more .
I would be wary of methadone unless you plan on being on it a while. With the long half life and side effects its not a drug i like.
What does of methadone?

Mg for mg Methadone is stronger than Oxy. I've also heard Mathadone WD is a lot worse than Oxy WD.

Can't your doctor give you a trial period? like let you try the methadone for a week and if it's not working you could switch back

methadone may be a good option because it has a good long half-life so you will not have to take your meds 4 times a day, just plan out a good dose with the doctor so you won't raise your tolerance.

i've used these only recreationally, not for pain, so my input is limited to that. the thing is you could return to the oxy and raise it if it's not working.

what were the arguments of your doc for the change?

To be honest with you man that is my fear here. This fake "opioid crisis" led my old doctor to recommend Suboxone which he didn't have the license to prescribe. I got sent to this guy and for 4 years I felt terrible. For the first 2 years I kept quiet but after that he just didn't address my concerns and kept upping the dose.

I think he too is afraid of this "crisis" and he doesn't like prescribing full opioids. I have a terrible feeling that if I go on Methadone, that'll be it for life. He made me stop taking Suboxone for 7 days cold turkey and submit a urinalysis just to be switched to the Oxycodone!

My old doctor prescribed me much higher doses and I too love the recreational effects of Oxy. For me it is 75% pain and 25% that mental clarity it gives me right now that other medications lack. I truly wish I could give the Methadone a trial but ah man am I afraid. What I really want is about double my current dosage of Oxy but he takes this 90MG Morphine equivalent to heart!

Thats quite a low dose of oxy ur on! Why is there such a low daily limit? It seems pointless to me. If it's got anything to do with your "opioid crisis" then thats wrong! Your a genuine pain patient and to penalize you for the crisis is immoral.

You should move to the UK and you'll get treated on ur actual pain levels and not on politics.

If I had the money I'd get out if here in a heart beat! This fake crisis has cost me everything and each day is a battle. It never gets easier but all these doctors care about is themselves and unfortunately even the pharmacists look at everybody on opioids as drug addicts. The US is a terrible place

If you think that he won't change you back to the oxy if you don't feel comfortable then just up the oxy dose. I remember reading about people who had a good experience with methadone for pain but if you still want the recreational aspect, keeping oxy is your best bet. Can you visit another doc without this one finding out? Maybe someone else would be more useful for you, just take care so you don't blow your current relationship, for you americans opioids become harder and harder to get

Is it different in each state? Or are your drugs regulated federally like here in the Uk?

Why is 60mg the limit?

The limit is weird, but 60mg methadone is a lot for just pain.

I'm sorry I probably didn't word it well. We have guidelines here that state "90MME is the maximum recommended dose" but they take it as more of a definite than a recommendation. I meant 60MG of Oxycodone would be the max as it has a 1.5x strength in comparison to Morphine. What is messed up is I do not believe these guidelines are applied to Methadone or Buprenorphine... go figure

I'm sorry I probably didn't word it well. We have guidelines here that state "90MME is the maximum recommended dose" but they take it as more of a definite than a recommendation. I meant 60MG of Oxycodone would be the max as it has a 1.5x strength in comparison to Morphine. What is messed up is I do not believe these guidelines are applied to Methadone or Buprenorphine... go figure

Ohh, I thought you meant Methadone. 60mg of Oxy isn't really that much. I was prescribed 80mg OxyContin 3 x day and 10mg OxyNorm up to 4 x a day for pain.
That was for acute pancreatitis, though, which is above things like childbirth and kidney stones in terms of pain.

My Colitis is in that bracket so they tell me Chem. Even my Mum said when she has seen me flaring, “I imagine this is worse than giving birth” Full Crohn’s is going to be a joy when it arrives ??

My Colitis is in that bracket so they tell me Chem. Even my Mum said when she has seen me flaring, “I imagine this is worse than giving birth” Full Crohn’s is going to be a joy when it arrives ??

Haha. So many women try and claim child birth is the most painful thing you can experience, but it doesn't even make the top 20 in lists.

Truly appreciate all the input here! I have military-related injuries that have damaged my thoracic nerve as well as causing complete scapular destruction. Had a labrum surgery that made it worse and led to having a permanently winged scapula. There is a surgery to tear my chest and attach it to my back but they say at best it is 50/50. The disc herniation and DDD is frustrating along with the RLS but yeah man the Crohn's is just as painful as the neck pain and sometimes even worse. I am wishing you the best brother! It does get better with time and some days the flare ups aren't as frustrating as others

Ohh, I thought you meant Methadone. 60mg of Oxy isn't really that much. I was prescribed 80mg OxyContin 3 x day and 10mg OxyNorm up to 4 x a day for pain.
That was for acute pancreatitis, though, which is above things like childbirth and kidney stones in terms of pain.

Before this God forsaken "opioid crisis" I was on Oxycontin 80mg 3x a day and Opana 40MG IR 3x a day. I was literally pain-free! I made the mistake of requesting to try Buprenorphine which ruined 5 years of my life and with these new regulations I am at a standstill. If I take my 40MG all at once I will be pain-free for 3 hours but then the rest of the day remains. Even though it only reduces the pain from a 10 to an 8, I have been taking the 10MG as prescribed. It sucks but I am without options at the moment. The scariest part of all is my pharmacist tells me I am "lucky" to be on Oxycodone. Shows how distorted and skewed the views on opioids truly have become.

After diagnosis years back and my first major admittal and “almost” bowel resection, I was tried on every known Colitis/Crohn’s drug. Plus high dose prednisone etc (hate the stuff) but the miracle came in the form of Amitriptyline.

After years of barely effective mesalamines and enema foams etc, this stuff Stopped flare ups in a week, and keeps me in remission most of the year. Thought this might help to mention if anyone is out of options at present.

Pain meds wise, we in England are as with most things, 10 years or so behind you guys. The first probes into opioid prescribing and “epidemic” potential is gaining momentum. Different with a national health service though, and in general practice they never ever tell you the options for chronic pain, you guide them to Oxy etc as oppose to them pushing it on you. Without a consultants backing you are lucky to get codeine on repeat!!

Last edited:
After diagnosis years back and my first major admittal and “almost” bowel resection, I was tried on every known Colitis/Crohn’s drug. Plus high dose prednisone etc (hate the stuff) but the miracle came in the form of Amitriptyline.

After years of barely effective mesalamines and enema foams etc, this stuff Stopped flare ups in a week, and keeps me in remission most of the year. Thought this might help to mention if anyone is out of options at present.

Very informative brother and I truly appreciate you sharing! Amitriptyline is a godsend and I always feel I do not need it until I miss a single dose and realize how much it actually helps. I am glad it keeps you in remission my friend! You are in my thoughts and I truly care about your well-being and I hope you are prescribed pain-medication that is able to make the condition more bareable. You got this! I'm always here to talk man