• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bupe Methadone to Bupe patches?

ChaosControl

Greenlighter
I ran out of my prescribed methadone about a week early. However, I have a Buprenorphine Transdermal System patch. I’ve never used or seen one of these patches before. My daily methadone dose is 20mg (although I often do 30mg). This bupe patch says it delivers 10mch/hour of buprenorphine for 7 days. Will that be too strong compared to my methadone tolerance? Whats the conversion here?
Thanks!

I’ve never used these patches but I’m fairly certain that if you put it on before you’re in serious methadone withdrawal that it will precipitate a hellish experience. I know this would apply to pills/strips. Methadone has a very long half life and builds in your system extensively, hopefully someone more experienced in these specific circumstances will chime in and until then I suggest you wait. Precipitated withdrawal is one of the worst experiences a person could have. Much worse than dealing with normal withdrawal for a day or two, might seem like that’s far fetched but I have been thru it from bupe dosed too close to morphine/oxy/ect and those clear the system much faster than methadone.

I ran out of my prescribed methadone about a week early. However, I have a Buprenorphine Transdermal System patch. I’ve never used or seen one of these patches before. My daily methadone dose is 20mg (although I often do 30mg). This bupe patch says it delivers 10mch/hour of buprenorphine for 7 days. Will that be too strong compared to my methadone tolerance? Whats the conversion here?
Thanks!
DO NOT TAKE BUPE anywhere near taking Methadone. Methadone has a very long half life. I believe around 36 hours? Something along those lines. Which means you really can't take bupe for 5-7 days, sometimes even longer depending on how high of a dose is built up in your system. You would have to take a more immediate release opiate like oxys or whatever to get through the next week, but not bupe. I have been through the prep. withdrawls and let me tell you, it literally scarred me for life. That shit was so intense and immediate. Do not risk it.

maybe you should consider tapering down on the methadone very slowly, at least so you aren't running into these issues every month.

Yeah you need to just scratch that off out of your plans. Like a fool I took 8mgs of Buprenorphine after binging on O-DSMT a week or two like maybe 16 hours after my last dose and went into horrific precipitatated withdrawal and I wanted to fucking kill myself. I sniffed a godawful amount of 3-MeO-PCP over the next hours close to 50mgs (tolerance) trying to escape that nightmare. It worked and it eventually faded and I stayed on the Bupe. But I'd imagine with something like Methadone it would be super hard to time it right. Maybe think about using something like Tianeptine for the time being... its effective at stopping withdrawls if dosed in the right manner. Just don't stay on it long the withdrawal from that can get bad as well.

I appreciate the concern about precip w/d; but I've actually had experience going from my methadone to using the 8mg suboxone strips in literally one day. I’ve done this around 3 times and never experience precipitated w/d. But either way, the point of this post is more about conversion and safe dosing, as opposed to avoiding precip. Assume that I'm going to make this transition inevitably when I ask if this10mcg/hour bupe patch (that is supposed to be a 7-day patch) will be too strong for someone used to taking only 20mg daily methadone? Does anyone know how to make this conversion? When I went from 20mg daily methadones to the sub strips, I would only dose 1/4 of the strip. But I have no experience with these bupe patches

Last edited:
I appreciate the concern about precip w/d; but I've actually had experience going from my methadone to using the 8mg suboxone strips in literally one day. I’ve done this around 3 times and never experience precipitated w/d. But either way, the point of this post is more about conversion and safe dosing, as opposed to avoiding precip. Assume that I'm going to make this transition inevitably when I ask if this10mcg/hour bupe patch (that is supposed to be a 7-day patch) will be too strong for someone used to taking only 20mg daily methadone? Does anyone know how to make this conversion? When I went from 20mg daily methadones to the sub strips, I would only dose 1/4 of the strip. But I have no experience with these bupe patches

My pain doctor got shut down .I was on 60 milligrams of methadone per day. I started tapering in middle February. Got down to 10 milligram. Worst withdrawal I have experienced since my last one 5 days age. Got a 8 milligram suboxone strip. Not really really feeling a whole lot better. Been taking clonidine and klonopin. Seeing a sub dr. tomorrow. Could not find a pain doctor. You would of thought I was the criminal!!

I have been totally off methadone for 2weeks. I went to sub doctor had taken 16 milligrams of sub sat and sun 7 days ago. It made be worse. I don't know if I was addicted to sub in 2 days but I quit. I was on 60 milligrams of methadone 65 milligrams of oxycodone for break thru pain. then before the subsys fallout I was on 1200 micrograms. Needless to say I have always had Methadone to fall back on. My pcp has givin me clonidine gabapentin . I still have klonopin form last pain doc. I cannot do any activity for more than 30 minutes I have to sit I believe I its either the fibromyalgia and other joint issues that he treated me for. Or is it that being on methadone for 12 years I cant get it together. When I piss tested on march 20th I had no methadone in my system. I know tour body stores it in tissues and bones.