• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Methadone taper question

radar3559

Greenlighter
Looking for some anecdotal experiences from people with similar stories. Here is mine........

I have been on methadone for 2 years and just a month ago i decided to taper down at home. I started the program at 3 ml and over the span of around 6 months got up to 10.5 ml. Which I guess is the equivalent to 105 ml. It used to be a juice like mixture and now it is a concentrated syrup like substance. Anyways....I stayed at 10.5 ml for another 6 months and then started going down 1 ml a month up until a month ago. I started by using a 5 ml plunger until I got down to 1 ml and then I started to use a baby oral syringe. Tomorrow i am going to jump off at .10 ml and was wondering if the withdrawal will be all that bad. I feel pretty good since I have come down. I have my emotions back. My sex drive is back. I actually feel like myself for the first time in 2 years. I am just wondering if anyone else has tapered like I have and if they have any advice or feedback for me :)

woah, even your maximum dose was quite a low one! forgive me for being brief but to be able to get down to .1 - i don't even know how one could measure that out due to the cough syrupy consistency that the juice comes in!
congrats on doing so well! expect some aches&chills, gastric distress, sleepless nights and generally feeling crappy for a week or more than likely two but you can do it pal! what you're doing is awesome :)

woah, even your maximum dose was quite a low one! forgive me for being brief but to be able to get down to .1 - i don't even know how one could measure that out due to the cough syrupy consistency that the juice comes in!
congrats on doing so well! expect some aches&chills, gastric distress, sleepless nights and generally feeling crappy for a week or more than likely two but you can do it pal! what you're doing is awesome :)
Thanks for the response. I was able to measure such a small amount using a 100cc oral syringe.

which one did you mean?
Methadone syrup is now measured in 1 mg/10 as opposed to 10 mg/100. 10 mg of concentrated methadone is equal to 100 ml of methadone juice. So if I was on the old system I would have been on 105 at my max.

Methadone syrup is now measured in 1 mg/10 as opposed to 10 mg/100. 10 ml of concentrated methadone is equal to 100 ml of methadone juice. So if I was on the old system I would have been on 105 ml at my max.

oh really? when i was on methadone it was literally 1mg/1ml, but i was only on 20mgs at my max.
sorry, i had no idea you were talking about concentrate...

still, 1ml is a fantastically low dose, you've done the best you (or anyone afaik) can - goodluck

Each mL of the unflavored liquid concentrate, for oral administration, contains 10 mgof methadone hydrochloride. Inactive ingredients: citric acid, sodium benzoate and water. Each mL of the cherry-flavored liquid concentrate, for oral administration, contains 10 mg of methadone hydrochloride.
The cherry flavored concentrate is what I was on. 10.5 mg or 105 ml.

keeping - lol - his dose was not low; he was on 105MG; thats pretty good for methadone.

one thing about methadone is it takes a while to get out of your system; the half life is forever and a day. you wont even be "dope sick" for about 3-5 days, maybe a week before you hit your worst. you've drop pretty low, so that helps, I left at 18MG's myself and used dope to help my detox. but if youre able to hold up and get through, good for you. seems you are playing it right and doing your best. you may want a benzo or some type sleep aid to possibly help a bit because that is a major problem.

how many days has it been? what was your last dose again? in MG. what else are you on?

FWIW, I have jumped off of 1ml of the old-school 1mg/ml years ago after slowly weaning down from 120 ml daily under pharmacist's supervision. Like you, I was thrilled that all my senses and sex drive returned, along with my old beloved emotional resonance with music that had gone MIA during both my addiction and MMT. So all these benefits kind of compensated for the slight RLS, diarrhea, and general malaise that persisted for about 2 weeks after the jump off. You'll still have to be strong and tough, and mindful of the cravings that might return (and it's prudent to have a plan in place to deal with these just in case), but it'll be more than worth it when it's all over, trust me! Good luck, and be sure to keep us posted on your progress!

keeping - lol - his dose was not low; he was on 105MG; thats pretty good for methadone.

one thing about methadone is it takes a while to get out of your system; the half life is forever and a day. you wont even be "dope sick" for about 3-5 days, maybe a week before you hit your worst. you've drop pretty low, so that helps, I left at 18MG's myself and used dope to help my detox. but if youre able to hold up and get through, good for you. seems you are playing it right and doing your best. you may want a benzo or some type sleep aid to possibly help a bit because that is a major problem.

how many days has it been? what was your last dose again? in MG. what else are you on?
Thanks for the response. My last dose will be tomorrow .10 ml. I am going to see a doctor tomorrow to see if he can give me something for sleep and anxiety. Serequel perhaps.

FWIW, I have jumped off of 1ml of the old-school 1mg/ml years ago after slowly weaning down from 120 ml daily under pharmacist's supervision. Like you, I was thrilled that all my senses and sex drive returned, along with my old beloved emotional resonance with music that had gone MIA during both my addiction and MMT. So all these benefits kind of compensated for the slight RLS, diarrhea, and general malaise that persisted for about 2 weeks after the jump off. You'll still have to be strong and tough, and mindful of the cravings that might return (and it's prudent to have a plan in place to deal with these just in case), but it'll be more than worth it when it's all over, trust me! Good luck, and be sure to keep us posted on your progress!
I can totally agree on the senses coming back! At around 10 mls I started to feel better. I was an emotional wreck but it was nice too feel again. Methadone pretty much numbs a person. Maybe that is why I have been jerking off so much in the past few days and listening to 80s love songs while I weep LOL

Thanks for the response. My last dose will be tomorrow .10 ml. I am going to see a doctor tomorrow to see if he can give me something for sleep and anxiety. Serequel perhaps.
you may want a benzo in there, as I mentioned. that will keep the anxiety and help w/ the sleep; seroquel will also be great for sleep. ithat combination is actually what I use now - 1MG xanax and 50MG seroquel.

for someone coming off methadone withdrawal, which last a LONG TIME BROTHER, remember that. people think like dope, 3-5 days, but its not, if anything, 2-3 weeks, and it stays in the body a majority of that time, so have him give you that month script and see if you can get a better dose of seroquel - 100MG is usually better for people like us, coming off a drug like methadone.

you may want a benzo in there, as I mentioned. that will keep the anxiety and help w/ the sleep; seroquel will also be great for sleep. ithat combination is actually what I use now - 1MG xanax and 50MG seroquel.

for someone coming off methadone withdrawal, which last a LONG TIME BROTHER, remember that. people think like dope, 3-5 days, but its not, if anything, 2-3 weeks, and it stays in the body a majority of that time, so have him give you that month script and see if you can get a better dose of seroquel - 100MG is usually better for people like us, coming off a drug like methadone.
UPDATE: 2 days after my last dose of .10 mg 2x a day i started feeling horrible. I went to a different doctor and he gave me 10 days @ .30mg 2x a day. 10 days @ .20mg 2x a day. 10 days @ .10mg 2x a day. After that he said he would give me a seroquel and a sleep aid. Maybe even clonodine.

UPDATE: 2 days after my last dose of .10 mg 2x a day i started feeling horrible. I went to a different doctor and he gave me 10 days @ .30mg 2x a day. 10 days @ .20mg 2x a day. 10 days @ .10mg 2x a day. After that he said he would give me a seroquel and a sleep aid. Maybe even clonodine.

delaying the inevitable. benzo's and clonodine w/ seroquel and you'll be OK. the benzo helps during the day/sleep at night along w/ seroquel. clonodine helps the stomach through it all. methadone, as I said, is a long kick, and you can keep dragging but it doesnt help much. you are took off at a relatively low dosage, but thats your call. if you have work and things to do, then go w/ the methadone. but if you have the week off and can just struggle and get by, go w/ what I said. those benzos w/ make you feel 10x's better.

I know in the UK the methadone is green. From what Ive seen on videos.

UK substitution therapy almost exclusively uses oral solutions, usually 'Physeptone' and similar 'green' goo products with a concentration of 1mg/1ml.

Stronger syrups are occasionally prescribed however - 'Methadose' is a an oral concentrate as a blue goo (10mg/1ml) or brown goo (20mg/1ml), both of which can be diluted back down with it's sister product - 'Methadose Dilutent' (not sure of the ingredients - probably Rx only expensive water :\ )