• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone / Subutex / Opioid alternatives

SummerTaylour

Bluelighter
So, I’m on 84 mg of methadone. I really want to come off it because I don’t like how I feel on it mentally or physically. Everything seems so bland to me on this drug. I would like to go back to subutex. But I wonder with the heightened tolerance methadone has given my body, if subutex would even make me feel the way it used to anymore? I miss when opiates used to hit. Real pills that don’t have fentanyl in them are impossible to get ahold of nowadays. I don’t much prefer heroin. I miss getting high. I don’t like drinking, I don’t like smoking weed, or Xanax. I just want to fucking get high. I fucking hate the fact that even if I tried to take street pills on methadone, I won’t feel shit!! Ugh. There’s got to be a way to rig the system 🤦🏼‍♀️ I switched from subutex to methadone because the subutex wasn’t hitting anymore and the methadone sure did hit at first, but the clinic kept raising my dose quickly. Obviously to build a crazy tolerance to get me stuck on it.
But when I can get off it, is there a way to maintain how I take the subs so I don’t hit the ceiling effect on them? It took me 2 years to hit it after I started taking them... I’m sure with some weaning off, I could get back there, right? Do I just need to make sure to take breaks every few days to avoid the ceiling? Idk what to do. I want to get high off my pills every now and then, but I want it to be safe. Somebody gimme some advice.

So, I’m on 84 mg of methadone. I really want to come off it because I don’t like how I feel on it mentally or physically. Everything seems so bland to me on this drug. I would like to go back to subutex. But I wonder with the heightened tolerance methadone has given my body, if subutex would even make me feel the way it used to anymore? I miss when opiates used to hit. Real pills that don’t have fentanyl in them are impossible to get ahold of nowadays. I don’t much prefer heroin. I miss getting high. I don’t like drinking, I don’t like smoking weed, or Xanax. I just want to fucking get high. I fucking hate the fact that even if I tried to take street pills on methadone, I won’t feel shit!! Ugh. There’s got to be a way to rig the system 🤦🏼‍♀️ I switched from subutex to methadone because the subutex wasn’t hitting anymore and the methadone sure did hit at first, but the clinic kept raising my dose quickly. Obviously to build a crazy tolerance to get me stuck on it.
But when I can get off it, is there a way to maintain how I take the subs so I don’t hit the ceiling effect on them? It took me 2 years to hit it after I started taking them... I’m sure with some weaning off, I could get back there, right? Do I just need to make sure to take breaks every few days to avoid the ceiling? Idk what to do. I want to get high off my pills every now and then, but I want it to be safe. Somebody gimme some advice.
Have you ever tried taking the subs with a bit of DXM as a potentiator? About 60mg of DXM about half an hour before the subs works very well to reset the tolerance to about %50

Have you ever tried taking the subs with a bit of DXM as a potentiator? About 60mg of DXM about half an hour before the subs works very well to reset the tolerance to about %50
I honestly don’t even know what DXM is. I’m still stuck on the methadone right now regardless so I’m fucked in that sense til I can titrate down to at least 30 mg.

I honestly don’t even know what DXM is. I’m still stuck on the methadone right now regardless so I’m fucked in that sense til I can titrate down to at least 30 mg.
DXM is the active ingredient in some OCT cough medicines. It is a NMDA receptor antagonist at higher then prescribed doses (dissociative drug same drug class as ketamine) If you ever decide to try it remember that it is only safe to choose a product which contains dxm as the only active ingredient because taking higher then recommended doses of acetaminophen, guafenesin etc is harmful.

Note that 60mg is not enough to get high on DXM itself but its enough to use it as an opioid potentiator and yes it works on any opioid not just subs so you could use it to try reducing your methadone dosage or your tolerance 😉

I’m on Methadone 80mg also, for years….yes, it will block the euphoric rush from any normal opioid pill you take

When I started out, I noticed that at around 30/40mg it will start to block the euphoria from other opioids….it just saturates the receptors so other opioids won’t have an effect

I banged 2 Oxycodone 80’s and didn’t feel shit, that was it I said….a horrible waste of Oxy 80’s

You would essentially have to slowly reduce your Methadone down to 30mg daily and skip a day here and there to feel a solid opioid rush from something else.

still On methadone summer? I’m struggling coming off of it also.. ive gained like 10lbs and that’s a lot for me, anyone else gaining weight on this shit?

So, I’m on 84 mg of methadone. I really want to come off it because I don’t like how I feel on it mentally or physically. Everything seems so bland to me on this drug. I would like to go back to subutex. But I wonder with the heightened tolerance methadone has given my body, if subutex would even make me feel the way it used to anymore? I miss when opiates used to hit. Real pills that don’t have fentanyl in them are impossible to get ahold of nowadays. I don’t much prefer heroin. I miss getting high. I don’t like drinking, I don’t like smoking weed, or Xanax. I just want to fucking get high. I fucking hate the fact that even if I tried to take street pills on methadone, I won’t feel shit!! Ugh. There’s got to be a way to rig the system  I switched from subutex to methadone because the subutex wasn’t hitting anymore and the methadone sure did hit at first, but the clinic kept raising my dose quickly. Obviously to build a crazy tolerance to get me stuck on it.

You aren't going to get high on subutex. That's the whole point of the medication. It replaces the brains receptors with the drug, making you think they're full. But with subutex you won't feel high. Tjey created the drug that way so it wouldn't be abused. The ceiling is 24mg. Anything after that is worthless. If you are just looking to get high stay off the subutex. It's meant to keep you clean, not get you high

I don't know if it works with methadone but ketamine is supposed to be a great help, maybe in a similar way DXM does. I haven't tried ketamine yet, but after reading up on DXM I do take half a DXM tablet when I have them, with opiates.

I recommend you read up on both. On another forum someone told me ketamine was a massive help geting morphine to help in the hospital (his tollerance was stopping it from working at first). But he also showed a study suggesting taking too large a dose of ketamine for my liking.

As DXM is easier to get, sometimes OTC, that is probably worth trying first.

I’ve gained 50lbs 😭
Yes...some people tend to weight gain on methadone....,if u can lower&transit into kratom,if it"s legal wherw u are iis goood👍.other variant-subs....or again lower&then something more light...like tram....it eventually could stop it more easily,with lesser discomfort

Methadone is an insanely powerful opiate. Not that anyone didn't know lol. It'll take some time before you readjust to the suboxone.. and altho other people can be very helpful on this topic, personally I have to be a debbie downer and say that I don't know how you could go from methadone of your dosage to suboxone, and then feel the suboxone like opiates were the "good ole days" mind-blowing buzz it was once.

That being said.. its definitely possible to do all that you're asking. I just don't see how it would be without suffering from some brutal withdrawals/tapering down over a long time period. HOWEVER, I'm going to focus on how you said that "I don't like how I feel on the methadone" and that is most definitely the brain dependent on high dose opiates making you experience ahedonia (inability to enjoy anything no matter how fun). Someone dependent on opiates for a long time of daily use will experience this very same dilemma. At the very least, I think you would find tapering down your methadone doses to alleviate some of that "everything is bland and sucks" mental road block! You'd still be on methadone in this said scenario--but less and the brain on less artificial endorphins > the brain able to feel more natural endorphins again. So regardless of what journey you take to trying to restore the opiate feeling and its magic, I highly suggest at least trying to go on a lower methadone dose first you know? Personally as someone been through addiction, I think if you cannot stop for whatever reasons--because sometimes addicts cannot physically stop because of the insanely horrendous withdrawals lethal or not--then I always recommend that people lower their dose or taper a bit back. Reducing your use when things aren't satisfying does make life better its just a lot of trial an error.

Lastly, you've been around the go around of opiates since you're on methadone and of that dose. I'm sure you know how it works better than most of us, but your body has been dependent on a substantial opiates and there is no way you would be able to feel oxycodone for example strongly until you're off the methadone. I'm sorry! I think you'd at least be happier weaning off of the methadone onto suboxone only and then decide whats best for you from there out. All these replacement opiates have a blocker built in that prevents you from outside highs unless you break through the barrier with a crazy amount of heroin/fent for example and... could die. Its difficult to take breaks off of these drugs as well to get high because your tolerance does stay elevated from long term suboxone/methadone use. What you are asking for is very challenging because you have been on methadone for quite a time. Your tolerance is high and it will take time to lower it regardless of whatever you do from now on. It does come down though trust me lol. Just never for free and usually not as fast as junkies like us like.

Last edited:
I can only recommend dissociatives for opioid withdrawal. I used memantine, which has the plus of being very clean in terms of psychoactivity as well as very long lasting and some high dosages of it were enough for me to be able to stop the dependency to opioids after being on maintenance for 3 years.

DXM should work as well. Heard mixed reviews of using that one though. It comes with more side effects than other dissociatives because it's quite promiscious in its activity and involves e.g. a SNRI component. For potentiation some need surprisingly low dosages of DXM though, like 60-100mg/d, which is still within the therapeutic window for cough suppression and should vome with little side effects (just don't take DXM when you're on serotonergic antidepressants because of the risk for serotonin syndrome!) But that won't be enough to reset your tolerance or allow one to kick opioids altogether. Unfortunately, most dissociatives are more or less hard to get and many aren't approved for medical use, like the ketamine derivate deschloroketamine, which has a longer duration than ket itself and a higher potency.

I gained weight as well while on opioids (methadone and later morphine), not too much but both around the breasts (gynecomastia) and the belly, together with muscle wasting, but I wonder because most of the people I've seen in my maintenance clinic were rather slim.

Perhaps speak to a medical professional that has experience and specializes in these form of treatment

They can slowly reduce your daily Methadone at a comfortable rate you’d never even noticed if it was done without your knowledge

Methadone 30mg - 40mg starts to “block” the euphoric effects of other Pharma golden treats, Opana 40’s, Oxy 80’s , Dilaudid 8mg IR, Hydromorph Contin 30mg capsules (red rockets) a MASSIVE red capsules full of XR beads of Hydromorphone Hydrochloride

Injectable Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) & Diacetylmorphine (Heroin) are being offered in Canada (B.C. & Ontario) for serious individuals in which oral Methadone has failed several times before. Study participants couldn’t differentiate between i.v. injection of Hydromorphone or Diamorphine

Last edited by a moderator:
Fat is beautiful for me.My wife is fat.I like fat asses&big boobs.So...don't be sad about that....if this troubles u so much try to tapper&go onto bupre

I lose weight on every other opiate EXCEPT methadone. Methadone made me gain like crazy and quickly too. I’m so fat 😭
Does it make you change your diet and eat more or crave sweets/carbs....or it's just the drug itself that does it.

Don't feel too jealous whenever I kick I get this hunger where I eat until it's basically dangerous for my intestines and I'm still starving no matter what....I put on weight every time I kick.

I lose weight on every other opiate EXCEPT methadone. Methadone made me gain like crazy and quickly too. I’m so fat 😭

Yeah me too.

Methadone made food taste incredible in a way I've never experienced before. I've never enjoyed food much at all, it's always been something I had to force myself to do given my shitty appetite. But on methadone I enjoyed food in a way that is very foreign to me.

Needless to say I got quite fat on methadone, which is unusual for me as I've always been a lean muscular person. This never occurred with pills or heroin etc. Alot of opioids make me crave sweet things, but methadone made me crave all kinds of foods, like pizza's and pasta. I found myself eating all kinds of weird pastries and pies as well 🤣.

They way I got off of methadone to a fair degree was actually via exercise, mostly weightlifting. The fat melted off pretty quickly. I do miss the food appreciation that methadone brought sometimes. That and the naps. Although at 380mg/day of methadone those were more like nods than they were naps 🤔.

Yeah me too.

Methadone made food taste incredible in a way I've never experienced before. I've never enjoyed food much at all, it's always been something I had to force myself to do given my shitty appetite. But on methadone I enjoyed food in a way that is very foreign to me.

Needless to say I got quite fat on methadone, which is unusual for me as I've always been a lean muscular person. This never occurred with pills or heroin etc. Alot of opioids make me crave sweet things, but methadone made me crave all kinds of foods, like pizza's and pasta. I found myself eating all kinds of weird pastries and pies as well 🤣.

They way I got off of methadone to a fair degree was actually via exercise, mostly weightlifting. The fat melted off pretty quickly. I do miss the food appreciation that methadone brought sometimes. That and the naps. Although at 380mg/day of methadone those were more like nods than they were naps 🤔.
380mg daily? i’ve never heard of anyone taking over 180 mg daily?