• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone Potentiating - New Thread

DopeIsKing

Bluelighter
Hello everyone! Let me cut straight to my point of posting. There are several threats regarding methadone as well as the potentiation of methadone. There may have been new posts about this topic but I have not come across any recently. I would like to share with you my experience with potentiating methadone and what works the best for me, and also here from all of you to see what else is out there and what works for you. In hopes we can help eachother and answer eachother's questions.:\

WARNING: First off let's make sure we all know methadone can be a very dangerous drug especially when used incorrectly, but it can also be a life saver. I just need to get the warning out of the way that we must remember messing around with methadone and other substances can increase the dangers of harm to ourselves. Keep that in mind as we discus potentiation.

Potentiate:(Definition: increase the power, effect, or likelihood of (something, especially a drug or physiological reaction)

A little backround on me quickly is I have been on methadone for quite some time now, I have chosen to stay on 110mg at this point and have been at that dose for a long time. Some may think it's a lot, while others may disagree. But regardless of amount, I sometimes look for oppurtunites to potentiate it's effects, even if they are slight. I am also prescribed Klonopin .5s.

Currently here is what I have found (and use) to best potentiate the effects of my methadone. (Through many trials) Feel free to add to it, some have worked for me, some have worked for others, *some dont work for everybody!*

1. Klonopin/Clonazepam (or other benzodiazapines) *Benzos + Opiates is a dangerous combo so be careful
2. Hydroxyzine/Vistril/Atarax
3. Tagamet/Cimetidine/Famotidine
4. Tramadol/Ultram
5. Wellbutrin/Bupropion
6. Imodium/Loperamide
7. Diphenhydramine/Benadryl
8. L-Tyrosine
9. DL-P
henylalanine
10.B Complex
11. Dramamine/Dimenhydrinate
12. Naproxen/Midol
13. Marinol
14. Grapefruit Juice
15. Fluvoxamine/Luvox
16. Sertraline/Zoloft
17. Fish Oil
18. Any Multi-Vitamin

Take what you want out of this list, this is what I have discovered through trials during my methadone process. Been on methadone for a long while (and still currently am). Feel free to add your two cents, but please I hope to keep this thread civil and peaceful so let's try not to start arguments. Remember everyone's body and mind are different and this is why we have seperate opinions on things. Hope we can continue this topic like adults.

Disclaimer: Basically one final WARNING: Methadone is meant to be taken as prescribe. Adding medications and taking it any differently can pose dangers to others and yourself. This is purely information and under no circumstances does this thread mean that I believe it's okay for anyone to go out and mess with their meds and their methadone. I am purely partaking in this to learn more about the effects of different substances on methadone. I do not take responsibility for any acts.

Thank you for reading and participating in my thread! Look forward to all answers. I am open to any discussion. Weather you agree or disagree or have more you'd like to add about this topic, I look forward to your response.

- MUCH THANKS!!,
DopeIsKing :)

at every methadone clinic in Los Angeles everyone is buying and selling Xanax..its crazy Methadone and Xanax give you a better high than H...I wouldn't know tho never tried methadone but I always go with my homies so they can get dosed and theyre always tryna cop xans..few times they were trying to get Kpins..

I thought xanax was the answer to potentiate everything . I was convinced at the time but i think it just made me forget yesterdays high and massive gaps of my entire highschool years

I was never high or caught any buzz out of Methadone. If you are quitting heroin or other opiates you might experience a period of honeymoon but it's most related to the treatment. In high doses you will nod but it's not at all like H, or Oxys.

At the end of the day I found MMT (and ORT in general) to work far better when I'm not also trying to use other substances for potentiation or synergy.

Cimetidine was amazing with buprenorphine, but even then I found it much more difficult to be able to use the buprenorphine as prescribed when using cimetidine to catch a little buzz of it. I didn't find anything that worked as well for methadone (cimetidine didn't makes nearly as much difference as it had when I'd used it with buprenorphine).

TTP, a bit off the subject but in regards to how methadone withdrawal can be different from heroin, please watch the following:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sqIFNx8Ra-8[/video]

Please note different timing - not only related to the life time, but also in connection to longer withdrawal (weeks/months) and the pain generated when you come off of methadone.

All the best my friend!
Erik

Other than not providing any useful solutions and being an ad for rehab, yes he described the possible range of symptoms associated with untreated methadone withdrawal. Properly treated methadone withdrawal bares little resemblance to what he was describing. But basically that video is little more than a particularly clever yet insidious form for recovery industry marketing.

I'm not talking about science here. I have had all of these symptoms. This is real, and it happens to a lot of people.

Forget about the video. You can't deny my experience. And those who I tried to help in here. After 30 days they go back to heroin or something else. I have been there myself, and there are tons of people who simply can't make it. And if you look and search for people who tried to quit methadone in here (Bluelight) you'll find exactly what this is all about.

Have you been on methadone for years yourself? How was your withdrawal?

Last edited:
I must have been feeling kinda testy when I wrote that Erik, I didn't mean anything personal by it.

Please don't get me wrong, I am well aware how it is not exactly uncommon for people to struggle with transitioning off long term maintenance. But I am also distinctly aware that it is not uncommon for folks to have little difficulty in doing so as well. That was the experience I had with someone who came off methadone shortly before I did.

MMT provided a stability for me I really benefited from over the 2.5 years I was on it. After maybe six months, at which point I was at 90mg, I began tapering at a slow, relaxed pace. So I was tapering or taking a break from tapering over the following two years until I got off. I finally jumped off around 14mg. Using the appropriate meds I was able to experience very mild withdrawal symptoms (limited to some insomnia when not using sleep meds, crazy increase in libido and a teary eyed obnoxious yawn that stuck around for months). Don't get me wrong, detoxing wasn't easy or fun, but it was nothing like the horror stories I'd heard about (which makes sense, because I found myself in a situation composed of a set of distinctly different circumstances than what I hear most people who really struggled with coming off methadone dealt with).

I just find it frustrating how hard it is for the average person that where I live to have access to appropriate medical interventions outside the one size fits all approach to dealing with addiction popular at nearly all treatment providers in the states. The recovery industry here can be just insane.

Folks rarely realize, at least not at first, that the vast majority of treatment providers are not offering medical care (although it is often advertised to make it seem it is). First and foremost the vast majority of treatment providers are businesses, and they are only legally able to providing behavioral conditioning type methodology distinctly different and opposed to something more psychodynamic that allowed for one to develop more authentically as an individual.

And rehab type treatment providers, sober livings, even outpatient services, it's all quite a big business, an industry that will likely continue to grow rapidly. Too bad most of their services are horribly outdated when dealing with distinct variation of substance use disorder or providing any meaningful kind of re-entry or after are programs.

/rant :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that TPD! I appreciate your honesty.

You have handled your issues with distinction, and great merit. I respect that.
I understand your points of view. Especially considering how the recovery industry are.

This is definitely something that needs to change as you can't have this one size fits all, especially when you are talking about methadone or even fentanyl. This is not being addressed properly and people can suffer or not succeed at all.

I'll keep that in mind when talking about methadone withdrawals.

Wish you much peace my friend. Keep up with the good work! :)
Erik

When I was in rehab, there was a girl who tappered down from 10 mg methadone (She started at 60 mg and had been there six minth before I came) to 0 mg during a month.

I couldn't sleep because my doses was way to low, so I was awake during the first nights where she was completely off methadone. She did not sleep much and she was feeling bad but after a week she started sleeping more and the physical W/D symptoms started to decrease in effect one by one. I was positively amazed by the time it took her to be functional at 0 mg methadone.

I have no intention of starting to decrease my dose of 60 mg methadone pr day in the near future. But when I do I will decrease my dose with 5 mg each week until I hit 40 mg. From 40 to 20 I hope I can do 5 mg decreases each week, but to be honest I think I will need longer. From 20 mg to 0 mg will probably take me more than 6 months. I already have prescriptions for clonazepam and pregabalin, I hope that will make it a bit easier.

In september, I have been on methadone for 2 years. Right now I plan 3 years ahead due to something job-related, and I dont intend to decrease the dose at all during this peroid. So I am really in it long term. But that is due to several failed attempts where I have relapsed because I did the tapper too fast. One time was a pure cold turkey. I am not doing that again. Currently, my life is better than it has been for approximately 10 years, so I am just enjoying being somewhat happy for once and therefore I have no short-term plans for changing anything.

I get my methadone in 20 mg tablets. Some weeks I only take 50 mg each day to safe some, and I can do that without noticing anything. So I don't think it will be hard before I reach 40 mg and below.

However, I am way off topic right now :) I have never found anything that can potentiate the dose to a degree where I can feel a difference. So I have stopped trying. But there is probably a difference between long-term users and people who do it from time to time but with a long duration between. They might be able to potentiate their dose.

That sounds like a great strategy Ignio.

I imagine buprenorphine wouldn't be really necessary if one actually had the stamina to taper down to 0mg. Gabapentin, clonidine, a little diazepam and a little loperamide would probably be more than sufficient to ameliorate the acute withdrawal.